Review the ANZAC Day cheating (2019 edition)

Football fans have and show a moral code at the football? And Collingwood supporters at that? yeah - nah, I think there’s an element of supporters who are just feral. And cheer squads are at another level.

Pendles could of got up on the microphone yesterday, did an Oprah and tell every bombers fan to look under their seat and find a key for a brand new car and we still would of booed. We were livid and we showed it the only way we could at the time.
My take on it is yes we booed cos of the umpires but seeing him get up there and take the medal whilst probably remembering at the time him flopping his head back for that freekick, very much rubbed salt in the wounds and it just amplified from there.

4 Likes

I am happy for the club to come out and make a full apology to Pendlebury and any other party feeling aggrieved, we’ll get it in writing countersigned by 500,000 Essendon supporters on one condition -

THE AFL MAKE A FULL APOLOGY TO HIRD, WATSON, THOMPSON, CORCORAN, E34 AND HAND BACK JOBE’S BROWNLOW.

18 Likes

I think we found out a lot about our players and their ability to stand up under pressure in Finals-like intensity. I said in one of the pre-match threads, our last 3 wins we had the game played on our terms and that there would be a time where a team denies us the pure corridor run and carry and ‘surge’ from half-back that is our trademark. Buckley did say that he didn’t want to get in a shootout with us, so the warning signs were there for what was to come. I’d say the first quarter and a half did not look promising at all and it smelt like another typical Essington Anzac Day shocker on the cards. But to the boys credit they never wavered, the defence help up superbly under constant Magpie pressure, and the late goals to end the first half, especially Joe’s team lifter after the siren, and somehow we were still in the game. Second half we were much the better team, started to get a bit more overlap run from the back half, but we just couldn’t get that go-ahead goal. The crowd when Bags and then Joey put us within a kick was absolutely rocking. We had chances, some missed shots, but also a couple of plays in the last, the one where Walla decided to go inboard and turned it over, and also Saad, who was excellent and the reason we got back into the game with his pace and carry, probably went quick when he didn’t need to and we botched up a probable attack with probably no more than 2 mins left on the clock.

In all I’m pretty happy with the fight shown by the boys and the fact that we nearly found a way to get it done against an opponent who made a Grand Final last season and one that made sure the game wasn’t played on our terms. Full credit to Collingwood for how they set up, especially the first quarter and a half which ended up being the difference in the end. Biggest plus for the day is that Joey is back fit and firing. Massive performance, 4 goals straight, he hit them flush, took some big grabs, got around the ground well and showed exactly why he won a Crichton Medal, made an All-Australian team and kicked 65 goals in 2017. We must take confidence out of that game and respond in a positive manner against Geelong and Sydney. There’s no reason why we can’t get 2/2 from those matches and get to 5-3 and start to move up the ladder.

15 Likes

LOL.
He told me not to boo a champion.

I booed louder.

5 Likes

thanks - excellent post

How we back up now against Geelong is going to tell us a lot. Was that it or are we now even hungrier? Thing is I don’t think we are playing on some fabricated passion. I think we are just playing good football. And if that is correct then that is a lot more sustainable.

3 Likes

Regarding the umpiring controversy, you know what I really wished happened?

At that 2nd non-HTB moment when all the players stopped and looked stunned there was no free, I really wished the Collingwood players told the umpires they made the wrong call and gave the ball over to us. That would have really turned the spotlight on the standard of umpiring and the shocking state of it.

3 Likes

There had been four minutes (!) of continuous booing from siren to announcement of person who best exemplified “fair play”. And yet we targeted Pendlebury only.

Media puppets pls.

9 Likes

Everyone will be pleased to know that it’s just been confirmed to me by a colleague in the umpiring department that the last decision of the game (or not decision as it were) to not pay holding the ball against Stephanson was incorrect and should’ve been a free kick to Guelfi.

7 Likes

Well said, at the end of the day our turnovers and bad decisions were the costly difference in the end.

With all due respect your statement and your question seem trite and pointless.

There were 40-50k bombers supporters and they made their minds up at the time. That’s why they booed when they did. Some have posted here stating why they booed and it’s clear from that sample that the majority booed because of the umpires and a minority booed because of Pendlebury accentuating contact to win a free with a few minutes left.

From my view, that sample seems to be a pretty reasonable representation and a provides a clear understanding of the motivation of the many people who booed when Pendlebury was speaking.

1 Like

To me it looks legit. A win yesterday would’ve been absolutely magnificent, 4 wins on the spin and confidence sky-high. This should not be a demoralising loss, I hope they are disappointed they didn’t win, but are also upbeat and positive about what lies ahead. The response is important. We’ve had Geelong’s number the past 2 times we played them and we match up well. We bring what we did yesterday in terms of intent and intensity around the ball we will be fine. Hopefully Raz is right, we did miss him yesterday…

3 Likes

They say you shouldn’t boo a champion.

In my experience, it’s the Champions who get booed the most.

There was an Anzac Day in the late 90’s (I think) where Essendon supporters booed Buckley every time he got the ball. No reason, just because he’s Buckley.

Collingwood fans got narky, so started booing Hird for no reason.

It was silly, and nobody cared.

5 Likes

In the context of what i was responding to, it wasn’t “trite”. But thanks for your input.

can you imagine the scenes if mckenna threw the ball back to redman to take the ‘free kick’ and they pinged us for a throw, giving them a shot at goal

2 Likes

Yes, that was too. But still could have handled it with more class imo. Warranted that’s easier said than done when emotions are running high, but still.

Collingwood supporters at work haven’t said a thing.

1 Like

Ha.

Great Topic

This badge is granted when your topic gets 50 likes. You kicked off a fascinating conversation and the community loved the lively discussion that resulted!

5 Likes

Fair point. It’d be pretty weird if the Essendon fans all started booing second tier defenders. “Booo to your solid but unspectacular defensive role! Booooo to your mediocre disposal! Booo to you number - please turn around so I can see what number you are because I sure don’t know your name!”

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s hard to see that stuff unless you have a good view of it. No amount of work rate would have solved it. We just needed to get people where the ball was going rather than standing in prime position to see the Collingwood clearance clinic move the ball around them.

I do wonder whether we might have won this game if the new runner rule was not in place.

1 Like