Review the ANZAC Day cheating (2019 edition)

You’re a media-conditioned puppet. If Robbo took off his AFL hat and put on his Essendon beanie and called the umpiring out for the disgrace it was, you’d be singing a different tune.

2 Likes

Ok, just watched the second half and I must agree that the umpiring was terrible. So many missed holding the balls and head high tackles. The worst one was the sling tackle on Ridley. Did it cost us the game, probably not. Shiel was a liability with the ball in hand all day. That last passage running out of defense was the story of his day.

5 Likes

Yep. I’m watching it now and the second half of the 3rd QTR is just a string of bad decisions going Collingwoods way. You could make a highlight reel out of it.

Did Ridley go off for concussion assessment after the tackle? He was definitely dazed afterwards and the trainers came out to him. Assuming he was the 2nd man down on the bench in the last qtr?

2 Likes

Yep, went off for a considerable time. Only came back on in the last few minutes or so.

Yep. Might mean Francis comes in next week. Although 9 day turnaround will work in Ridleys favour.

Funnily enough I recall those ferals booing Goddard the last few years - at least - for no apparent reason…

1 Like

That’s great. It makes me feel so much better…

5 Likes

Yup, and this week it will be praised as ‘a good hard football tackle’… next week when its and essendon player doing the exact same thing, will be ‘dangerouse, sickening thuggery that should be stamped out of the game’. We know who we are, ignore the media flogs.

The more I reflect the more I find it hard to be disappointed. Despite the first quarter blowing out it wasn’t through lack of effort. They capitalised and we didn’t.

The fact we were able to fight back without us making radical changes to our style of play, and despite them doing all they could do to stop us playing how we wanted to, is a huge tick to the system we have.

We need to keep the faith IMO. We’ve got the makings of a good team. With a bit of luck who knows?

Big test this week though with Geelong. We need to win to confirm yesterday’s good performance was actually legit.

3 Likes

I emailed an old boss, a fair minded pies fan with a good football mind. All I said was boooooooo in big bolded capital letters. He replied, Sorry, I didn’t see your email because I ducked under it. I replied being short isn’t ducking. He replied, I was talking about Pendlebury.

29 Likes

Jake Niall wrote a impartial and fair report and he normally cant stand us.

Noone who watched the match would judge the boos. Only the peanut gallery.

Yesterday the game stopped… dead. Twice!

So… the players from both teams knew the rules. The crowd knew the rules. Hell, even the fkg commentators knew the rules.

The only ones that didn’t were the fkg cheats in yellow. And they are only umpiring how they are directed by Dill and his mutual appreciation society. That’s a fair-sized disconnect between the AwFuL and the rest of the football world I’d say…

3 Likes

@CharlieDons

1 Like

David King really having a go at umpires in post game. He sounds like he either is a Bombers supporter or had a lot of money on the Bombers to win.

1 Like

or he just wants to see good umpiring.

5 Likes

“Why would you boo? If you’re disappointed, just get on your national television or radio program, or newspaper column and express your disappointment there. Like us civilised people who haven’t actually cared about the result of a football game since something inside us died and we decided to become sports pundits.”

12 Likes

I’ve now had an opportunity to watch a full replay after attending yesterday’s game.
I paid particular attention to the main contentious umpiring decisions.
Here are my observations…

I’ll start with the crucial ones that resulted in goals, or shots at goal.

• 2nd qtr - Guelfi push in the back by Grundy which resulted in a goal.
    Very, very lucky free IMO.
    Grundy came down to the ground onto his own knees, so was not actually placing any weight on Guelfi’s back.
    Can understand why the ump paid it based on his positioning, but I don’t think it was there.

• 2nd qtr - Tippa taken high by Greenwood 20m from goal.
    Obvious contact with no duck from Tippa.
    Should have been paid, and you’d think Tippa kicks that given his perfect set shot accuracy this year.
    Cancels out the lucky Guelfi free and goal.

• 3rd qtr - Cox given a free against Hooker for shepherding 20m out.
    Nah, just can’t see a free there.
    Hooksey just beat him and took a 1 handed mark.
    Luckily, Cox fluffed the kick…karma

• 4th qtr - Baguley awarded a free against Langdon for holding the jumper (?)
    Again, very lucky free as it appears Baguley has as much jumper on Langdon.
    Play on for mine.
    Result = GOAL

Now some of the non paid HTB’s…

• 2nd qtr - Saad runs down Thomas after letting the ball get out the back.
    Great chase and tackle, but Thomas releases a clear handball upon hitting the ground.
    I’d say he disposed of it just in time.
    I believe we cleared the ball anyway.

• 3rd qtr - Merrett tackles Moore on the wing as he attempts to kick.
    Not a lot of prior op, but enough.
    Should have been called HTB.
    That Coll are awarded a free soon after only serves to fuel an Ess crowd baying for blood.

• 4th qtr - Crisp takes on 2 Ess players whilst approaching his F50.
    Tackled and brought to ground by the second Ess player (Redman?)
    Though he gets a handball away whilst laying on the ground, the time he had to dispose of the ball should mean he gets no leeway from the ump here.
    Inexplicably, the ump calls play on even though even the Coll players stop.

• 4th qtr - Stephenson brought down by Guelfi with a perfect one arm pin-down.
    He throws it out with the other arm which again, inexplicably, is not called.
    Ridley then clumsily gets into Brown’s back in a free which is probably there.
    The throw should have been called though.
    Seriously, what was the umpire watching ?
    We would have had a minute to get a goal from deep in our defensive 50.
    Would have been hard, but who knows ?

** There may have been 1 other non HTB which I’ve missed (should have taken notes during replay)

The only other decision I believe was wrong, was the mark not paid to Langdon when the umpire deemed Moore had first hands on it.
Was probably a mark, but inconsequential at the time.

EDIT…yep, Tippa definitely got another too high from Grundy(?) just on or outside the 50m line.
I vaguely remember a 3rd on Tippa, but can’t remember the culprit or qtr.

3 Likes

This from before a match

6 Likes

Yep, the feeling of being robbed of what we deserved to win, and then that frustrating boiling over into them winning another part of the day.