Review the ANZAC Day cheating (2019 edition)

Hepp and Zerret were a bit down overall, Hepp may be injured.

Did anyone observe whether they were being tagged?

There were at least three occasions where Tippa nearly had his head ripped off and there was no free. Against Brisbane he got a free when he dripped a mark, dropped down to gather the ball and got caught high. I am wondering if the umpires are reacting to a complaint about ducking?

Do you think we will hear an update on Dev Smith today? I was worried until i saw him up and about at the end of the game with no ice on his knee and no crutches or anything as far as i could tell. Hopefully gonna be good for the cats. And will have a good 10 day rest.

The rotting fish Gil’s has said this morning a review into the umpiring will happen overnight and into tomorrow. This is normal transmission although it’s usually done on a Monday. I’ve been informed the average number of incorrect decisions/non decisions per game is about 4, yesterday’s game will be at least double that upon review.

2 Likes

Tippa has not been receiving high free kicks for his entire career. He is penalised for being short.

Great review. There hasn’t been much mention of the Guelfi and Bags goals. We were very fortunate esp bags.

1 Like

Who cares about a bit of booing

I booed the mrs when I got home, and I don’t even have a mrs. WHO THE HELL DID I BOO?

16 Likes

That’s the effect of being intoxicated

Bags was a clear free kick. they have paid the arms around free all year.
Guelfi was a wrong decision.

1 Like

Seething.

I’m in the most toxic mood today

9 Likes

I really thought the bags one was there. Langdon had his arm draped over the shoulder holding both arms down in the marking contest. It was clear infringement than the one paid to Raz at the opening bounce left week. It becomes a free kick at the point Langdon goes over the shoulder to prevent bags elevating his arms to the ball. Prior to that they both held so no call for jumper holding is fine.

4 Likes

Beautifully said Sweatyman.

This guy, who isn’t a bombers supporter does a pretty good review of the free kicks:

But wait… before we get into the game played by the players, there is something we need to address around the standard of umpiring in this game.

In the biggest home and away fixture of the year, and in front of over 92,000 people, the umpiring was so confusing and inconsistent that players, supporters and this humble reviewer were completely at a loss as to what was happening.

Now, I am going to miss a few here, as my notes are not as comprehensive as they should be. I am also not wearing the colours of any one particular team, so things didn’t jump out at me steeped in emotion, but sometimes the decisions are so baffling, or so obvious, that you cannot help but screw your face up.

FIRST QUARTER – 3.53 REMEAINING - Obvious free kick to Jake Stringer with Howe pushing him in the back

Stringer hit the half-volley at speed on the near half forward flank. As he gathered, Howe cannoned into his back, taking both men forward. There was no call, with the Pies then clearing with a chain of handballs. That’s 1-0 Collingwood.

SECOND QUARTER 17.06 REMAINING – Grundy tackles Matt Guelfi inside 50 and gives away an in the back free.

Grundy falls to the turf with Guelfi in the tackle and does everything to stay out of his back. Not enough for the umpire, who gifts Guelfi a shot at goal. The score is now 1-1

THIRD QUARTER 18.39 REMAINING – Pendlebury gets Tippa holding the ball

The second part of the tackle was fine, with Pendles taking Tippa to the ground, but the first contact is high, and play is allowed to continue until Pendles drags him down. So this is a missed free kick to Essendon, and a paid free kick to Collingwood. Double points! The Pies go up 3-1

THIRD QUARTER 14.29 REMAINING – Cale Hooker pinged for basically being too strong for Mason Cox

A marking contest at full forward, and Hooker uses his body to muscle Cox out of position and almost pulls in the mark (he claims he did, but he definitely didn’t). The whistle goes and the ump craps on about Hooker taking the body of Cox, which he did LEGALLY and almost marked the ball. Shocking decision. Pies now up 4-1 in the crap free kick stakes.

THIRD QUARTER – 1.57 REMAINING – No call on an obvious holding the ball decision.

Darcy Moore got the handball from Travis Varcoe, went to kick and was claimed by Zach Merrett. Great tackle and incorrect disposal… but no whistle. Pies 5-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 16.03 REMAINING – Massive no call. All players stop.

Mason Redman lays a great tackle on Will Hoskin-Elliott and he clearly throws the ball in an attempt to get rid of it. McKenna grabs the ball and stops, not wanting to take the advantage, but the umpire has called play on, deeming the disposal legal? Oh my…

Josh Thomas also stops, and looks a bit shocked as the ump again calls play on. Essendon clear.

That’s 6-1 in the crap free count.

FOURTH QUARTER – 12.42 REMAINING - No call on a too high free to Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Holy crap… how was this missed? A terribly shallow throw in sees the ball hit the ground in front of both rucks. Tippa runs onto it and Grundy reaches out and basically hooks him round the neck.

No.

Whistle.

7-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 11.41 REMAINING – Jack Crisp dragged down after avoiding another tackle. No call

This is getting a little ridiculous, huh? And if you’re a Collingwood supporter, you may think I am being selective. Not the case. I was taking notes without a dog in the fight.

Crisp runs to half forward and steps the attempted tackle from Mark Baguley. As he gets inside, Joe Daniher nails him with another tackle. Everyone stops. Not just one or two. EVERYONE STOPS. The free kick is so ■■■■■■ obvious that everyone knows it’s there except three umpires. An absolute howler. 8-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 8.44 REMAINING – Mark Baguley awarded a holding decision

Oh look, one back the other way! Baguley and Tom Langdon are wrestling for position in the forward pocket as Merrett snaps toward them. They’re holding each other… might be time to pluck a free kick? Yep, give it to Baguley who kicks a goal. Ugh…

8-2

FOURTH QUARTER – 1.09 REMAINING – Stephenson caught holding the ball – no call.

A long ball inside 50 sees the ball spill to Jaidyn Stephenson. He’s dragged down by one arm in a tackle by Matt Guelfi, and throws the ball away. No call. Ridley then falls into the back of Callum Brown and a free kick is awarded in front of goal.

That kick to Brown is definitely there, but it should never have eventuated.

TOTAL – 9-2 in favour of the Pies.

Yay… the Magpies won! So yeah, this is obviously not an exhaustive list, but from what I saw, the Bombers got sceeeee-rooood.

8 Likes

Yeah, perhaps both could’ve gone either way. Bit lucky for mine and both resulted in goals.

You not what the response will be. They’d never publicly bag the umpires. They’ll say they got it right.

Support from an unlikely source. good on them

10 Likes

Reckon Bags has got a helluva lot of jumper there which lessens his right to a free kick.
Whilst Langdon then wraps an arm over the shoulder, it could have been let go.

It’s a lucky one…

3 Likes

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-gillon-mclachlan-wont-tell-fans-not-to-boo-but-says-current-booing-nothing-like-adam-goodes-saga/news-story/d846bab72320d86318e3ebfe8d6b586b

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan says he won’t tell fans not to boo and understands the “emotional” response of Bombers fans who jeered heavily after the Anzac Day game.

Essendon fans felt “the rub of the green went against them in the last quarter”, according to McLachlan, who said there will be a review of the game’s umpiring decisions in the coming days.

But he also said the current booing saga cannot be compared to the treatment of Sydney champion Adam Goodes.

“Essendon supporters feel that the rub of the green went against them in the last quarter,” he said.

“I’m not going to get into the ins and outs of free kicks, that’ll be assessed overnight and tomorrow. But I know that’s the consensus, and I accept that, and they lost by four points.

3 Likes

“Essendon supporters feel that the rub of the green went against them in the last quarter,” he said.

As close an admission he’ll make that the umpires FARKED UP and shat the bed!

13 Likes