Review the ANZAC Day cheating (2019 edition)

It was the last quarter that was really bewildering. It was really sht. Even Pies fans would agree. Well they should anyway. However, it cost us no less than our putrid 1st qrt and numerous poor turnovers throughout.

1 Like

ā– ā– ā– ā–  these ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , they dont deserve another minute of our time. But we need to bring that tribal warfare every week.

Get to the cats game, boo the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of whoever you want, make sure the players make the cats pay.

2 Likes

Now that would have been something. Would never, ever happen butā€¦

Imagine the Collingwood player acknowledging by putting his hand up and just casually kicking the ball back for a mark to us where the free should have been. Even a bit further back, wouldnā€™t matter, but just turning it over and then the Essendon player giving them a chance to get in position also, to allow the game to reset to where it should have been.

Massive respect, bet you wouldā€™ve seen a genuine positive reaction from the crowd then and later too.

Prostate examinations will do that to you.

1 Like

Essendon supporters are in a different league now I think.

In the history of the game, I doubt thereā€™s been a following that has been more completely disempowered/smashed by the establishment. Perhaps Fitzroy supporters could claim greater hardship. Our club was routed through the saga. The supporters day after day had to roll into work, attend family functions etc. and have to fight claims of cheating. Our most admired figures were persecuted way beyond anything seen before in a deliberate calculated campaign. Most Essendon supporters I dare say are pretty bitter.

Despite this, astonishingly so, the club has slowly rebuilt. Weā€™ve begun to get some confidence back. Half-way through last year we got a peek at what might be. The addition of talented and some controversial figures added further hope that finally our time had come.

Despite a slow start, rounds 3-5 suggested that we were up for a big Anzac Day clash. Yesterday really was amazing. The appalling start, riddled with turnovers, frustrated and embarrassed us I think. But then came hope; a slow but steady climb back into the game. The reemergence of Joey as a serious power in the game with some stunning goals. The return to accuracy from Jake. We were pumped and triggered as Collingwood began to wobble. I said to Bomberbelle a few times in the game that we were calling for ball as soon as any Collingwood player was tackled, regardless of whether there had been even the remotest prior opportunity. It was part of a cry for justice I think.

In the last, the continuing turnovers (even from Walla) were one thing but the unfathomable lack of fairness in the umpiring was just too much. It was inevitable that there would be a significant reaction. The booing from the bizarre adjudication continued past the final siren and into the presentations.

Those who think that this was disrespectful of the occasion should note that as soon as the announcements turned to the symbolism of the day, the booing completely ceased. Completely.

In general, when people react out of the ordinary, whether it be impatience, aggression, abuse, itā€™s worth reflecting or better still establishing what may have lead to that behaviour. For me, itā€™s clear that Essendon supporters display many traits of a traumatised, angry community. Of course the easiest thing to do is what the MSM do and just focus on the reaction. We are poorly served by our media, but thatā€™s another subject.

The best medicine for this will be success. We need to beat Geelong and Sydney. That will be a start. However, only when there is a serious sustained period of success for our club will there be healing.

40 Likes

If they did that to you, Iā€™m sorry to tell you this, but I donā€™t think it was a doctor.

1 Like

Holy crap! Even Gil admits we werenā€™t booing Pendlebury. Not that heā€™ll admit it was because of umpiring. Just says it was ā€œan emotional response to the lossā€. Also says he was at the Presidentā€™s lunch. At least we know who the poisoning target was now.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s because the carnts canā€™t string two words together at the best of times.

2 Likes

Weā€™re averaging only 75pts against over the last 5 weeksā€¦ The improvement in the defensive aspects of our game are clear and palpable. We are defending the ground much better than last year and itā€™s really only a lack of polish and composure that cost us yesterday. Hugely optimistic about our prospects moving forward.

3 Likes

18 Likes

Boooooooo!!!

3 Likes

End of the day, this whole booing thing and making in issue out of it shows what a politically correct pile of wank Australia has started to become. Did I boo Pendlebury at the siren? No. But you have to look at the context of why the booing took place. We got absolutely shafted all day by the green maggots, the amount of times we had clear holding the ball decisions that werenā€™t given, the amount of times Walla got taken around the neck, that absolutely hideous holding free given against Hooker when he took that one-handed mark because HE was being held. You have that crap decision paid late in the game which killed what time was left on the clock. Siren goes, weā€™ve lost by less than a kick and of course people are going to let their feelings be known. Flatnose Buckley makes himself part of it by being the moral arbiter about how people should behave. Does he realise which club he coaches? And then you have the biggest AFL sycophant in Whateley and then Slobbo having their two bobā€™s worth.

End of the day, we all watch different sports. Watch the NBA playoffs and see how hostile the Utah Jazz crowd has been. The level of abuse Gordon Hayward got when he returned there after signing with Boston was insane. Any time a former Manchester United or Everton player plays against Liverpool at Anfield they get booed. Luis Suarez and Phil Coutinho copped it when they were at Old Trafford against United when Barcelona visited there recently. And just wait for The Ashes and see what reception the Poms will have for Smith and Warner. Fans boo. Sometimes itā€™s justified, sometimes it isnā€™t.

7 Likes
12 Likes

I can handle close losses when its our errors even when we are having a real crack.
But when we are bust our ā– ā– ā– ā–  and dont get rewarded for absolute clear as day decisions that have to go our way, time and time again, I get so ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  angry!
Players make mistakes, but when umps make so many that are crucial and blatent, it ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  stinks up the game!

1 Like

Itā€™s the first time in a very long time where I have felt the umpires had a real impact on the result of the game, primarily because of the margin. For me, itā€™s not the frees that are paid, itā€™s the frees that are there that arenā€™t paid. They are the ones that hurt. Had I put money on us to win, I would have been even more annoyed.

AFL Umpires are paid very well for what they do and I think the football public are within their rights to expect a standard that is in line with what they are paid. If they are performing poorly, they get booed, if they are performing really poorly, they get booed even more. If they perform the way they did yesterday, well, we saw the result.

I think booing is really the only way fans can communicate with the AFL about the standard of umpiring, thatā€™s certainly why it happened yesterday. Has the AFL or any of their hundreds of accredited media ever bothered to ask the football public why people boo? At the moment AFL HQ and the media just make assumptions and expect the public to tow the line.

Iā€™d be very surprised if Pendlebury was being booed directly. I didnā€™t like that, but it was simply a carryover from the result in my opinion. I have no doubt that Collingwood supporters would have reacted the same way had they been on the receiving end, and rightly so. I also assume Buckley will react the same way. Heā€™s made his bed by saying what he said, now heā€™s going to have to lie in it.

That said, the reality is the really good teams find a way to win regardless of the circumstances. We didnā€™t. We fell short. We had too many passengers on the day, and played a team that defended well against our game style. To their credit, the boys worked their way back into it yesterday and put themselves in a position where they had chances to win it. They didnā€™t take them. They are not there yet, but I would like to think they will get there soon.

4 Likes

Collingwood entered the field, no boos. Essendon entered the field, boos all around.

Honestly who cares.

I think we should stop the booing and replace it with the next big thing - boobing.
Just get them out whenever the umpires farkup. Manboobs, girlboobs, grannyboobs, the whole lot, just get them out and point them directly at the offending umpire, or player, or gil-lookalike (he never attends AFL in person as he has polox).
Then weā€™ll be lauded by the moral-media for our innovation in stopping booing in its tracks.

6 Likes

interesting idea but itā€™ll have its knockers

(ok, I got in first, deal with it)

23 Likes

Next time we play the Pies, every time Pendlebury takes a mark, letā€™s just give him the Bronx cheers! What are you going to do then, criticise us for cheering?

4 Likes