Review thread: ANZAC Day Dumpster fire

If it is so difficult for our players to understand the game plan…why is it so easy for the opposition to understand it and then massacre us.

13 Likes

Id cop a turd in the mail instead of a scarf, “lets get loud” at every game and hire Caroline Willson to head up bomber TV, if it meant we could win the flag.

2 Likes

You’ve been able to count on my support for the last 27 years Jack. And especially from 2013-2016 I and many many many others were there. In fact during that time we had record membership sales so dont try and paint us as bandwagon supporters.

Here’s another message to pass on. When will the players, coaches, board and the club as a whole repay the loyalty, faith and patience that the fans have shown in them

13 Likes

Back in Qld after my first visit to the G since the 1985 Grand Final. I have spent some moments recalling the few images I have from that day - hoping it will help block out the images from yesterday that post-match alcohol have failed to do.
I know it is how the modern game is played but I was so frustrated by our forwards being drawn so far up the ground that we either had a lack of targets or Joe was swamped by three defenders whilst Stewart was out on the wing. Tippy and co Could not get front and centre as they too were up the ground helping out the midfield.
I hear worsfold talk about players taking responsibility out there but surely they are following instructions.
It was blindingly obvious things were falling apart before half time but where were the changes?. Sheedy would have swung them around all over the place to try and get something happening. Hurley to CHF, Bags to the forward line, a tag on Trelour - something! But no - we had Hooker to the forward line for the last quarter. I was also surprised at how slow we looked (compared to them) over the first ten metres. Gut running is great but if are not quick over ten you’re going to struggle. On the positive side I loved seeing Tippa live, Smith and Parish are goers and you could get Stone & Wood in a number of bars.

3 Likes

l wouldn’t trade 10 for 1. We have no idea what the players who won those flags for the club went through in order to get the wins, no idea what sacrifices they made on and off the field. l would not trade any aspect of our history.

10 Likes

i wish this game and thread never occurred.

if Worsfold cant string some good wins together this year questions need to be asked.

■■■■■ me we cannot win two in a row.

You can cancel your membership if you want to. I’m sure if we keep playing like this many people will consider doing that as an option.

1 Like

Yeah but you wont get any of it back. He’s saying if he could cancel and get the unused part back he would.

This is as close as I’ve come to not bothering to go to a game.

Watching the footy show (first mistake) and they interviewed the crowd after the game.

Got to the Collingwood supporters “Essendon were pretty ■■■■ to be honest. We were bored”

Ffs I hate that we lost this game so badly.

has to be post of the month and in the running for post of the year!

2 Likes

Good on you WOB. We’ve written to Xavier a number of times over the years & to his credit he always replies. Be very interested to hear the response.

3 Likes

Essendon has been mentally soft for more than a decade. The club has become too corporate. All that matters now is on-field success, not marketing.

What we saw in the third quarter yesterday was what the club delivered off-field in the saga. Always on the defensive. Always kicking backwards. Always too conservative. Always on the back foot instead of the front foot. Never taking risks. Never showing enough guts. The club did not stand up when it should have. It left it to others and it let them down.

What needs to be done. In my limited opinion, take some risks. Play the young guys; drop some big names; ;kick the ball forward every time, stop hand balling; go back to position footy if necessary. But start taking risks. And show some guts. Supporters deserve it.

15 Likes

That would certainly confuse the opposition!

2 Likes

You feel let down and so do I.

The point I’m trying to make is that there’s a problem at the moment and the best way to solve it is to get behind the players and coaches and show our support and encouragement.

There is an alternative view that they don’t deserve our continued support and by stopping supporting them they will repay our past loyalty and patience by performing better as a result.

Depends what you think is the best solution I suppose.

I choose the first option, you must do what you think best.

5 Likes

In between the ramblings of the childish generation, Peos nailed the most pressing issue - You get nowhere in any form of footy without good skills, especially kicking - Our kicking yesterday and in four of the five games this year has been horrendous - This was also a problem in 2017, especially in the back half, but luckily our kicking in the forward 50 was good along with an efficient inside 50 work papered over the cracks - Unfortunately our forward 50 work is nowhere the same standard as in 2017 and the roosters have come home to roost - I’ll also add we have disappointing results from out top 6 players which adds to the malaise - Yes there are some tweaks to structures and game plan which will improve performance but ultimately this will be sabataged with poor skill and poor performance from the top 6 players - Finally there is irony in the criticisms of Gen X, Y or Millenials being unprepared to work hard - My guess is many posters on BB fall into this group.

3 Likes

I know this is going to sound crazy maybe even desperate…but we need Sheedy back for the rest of the year to turn the team upside down, blood the kids and give the bad performers a stint in the VFL.

$&$&(&%% Joey
7&$#@^#**#% Zaka
Don’t $#@^#%$#& do it agian

Not making excuses for Essendon but North were up by about 7 goals when their players went down.

2 Likes

Blood the kids like he did in 2004-2007?

No thanks

I’m in NY thank fark, did not see game but have read blitz, we must have been terrible. As I have said before until we become Ruthless we are farked.