Review Thread - Essendon d Bad News Bears

Here’s the deal - if you can get your kid to keep their hat on all game Essendon will win.

1 Like

He may well keep it on but he’ll be doing it from home.

5 Likes

Bit concerned also on how we set up against Fyffe and co in rd 22 against Freo over there.

3 Likes

Given we’ll be playing for top spot we really should start to think about that.

1 Like

Maaaate! It is possibly one of the least relaxing things you can do with young kids. My kids are the same age. I took them to a game last year and they made it to the final siren but it was ■■■■■■ hard work. I’ll pencil 1 game early this year to see how they go again but it’s not going to be a regular thing at this stage.

You do get funny stories from it though. A mate of mine took his son and did what we all do. He distracted him with food. It turns out there was too much food and he made a pile of vomit in the aisle beside his seat the size of Mt. Macedon. :laughing:

11 Likes

Gaffer tape is your friend.

1 Like

Great pic - Woosha whipping a dead horse. Very apt. Team not working for him. Stay the course Blitzers two weeks ago you were calling for everyone’s head. Stay focussed and don’t be swayed by improved form. We are round 4, and we are gone.

2 Likes

The man does have a point.

5 mins

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Give it a fkn rest, man… https://giphy.com/gifs/week-media-person-RL0xU1daTlMoE Great pic - Woosha whipping a dead horse. Very apt. Team not working for him.

1 hour

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Sack Woosha, this team’s performance needs to be the best ever…

1 hour

#14 Jordan Ridley

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Lalich could’ve been anything with that raking left boot and ability to turn a dime… don’t you agree?

2 hours

#14 Jordan Ridley

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Reminds me of Judd Lalich - seriously smooth mover with elite disposal

2 hours

#18 Hurley - Too much beast for one thread

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Couldn’t hit the side of a barn unfortunately with his disposal. Less exposed with Hooker playing down there though.

2 hours

John “giving us Myers” Worsfold

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Yesterday we executed plan c to perfection, and for that I’m thankful. Myers is definitely important and should play ahead of Langford. Laverde, Langford, Gleeson, Parish and Stewart should form the nucleus of some heavy off season trading into the draft activity.

6 hours

#12 Mark Baguley

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Needs to put on some weight - still dreadfully skinny

16 hours

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Well coached woosha!

16 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Yes spot on

18 hours

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

He deserves nothing.

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Disgraceful today…need to be better…ITS ROUND 4 Woosha don’t you understand we need to be peaking NOW!!!

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Excuses excuses we should have won by at least 80 points. Woosha doesn’t have the playing group. The leadership is in disarray. Don’t you guys understand it’s round 4 we should be firing on all cylinders…Not good enough

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Outcomes are linear… Up by 40 at half time, you win by 80. It’s simple, and we didn’t follow that today. Woosha has to go

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

We won by 8 goals. It’s round 4… We should be peaking. That should’ve been a 16 goal win. Not good enough.

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

I’ve had a gutful… This football club is in the words of the great Jake Carlisle farked… Disapointing Woosha.

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

At round 4 we should be peaking… In time for the finals… 120 minutes of absolute domination. Woosha not good enough. Xavier whats happening? Heads have to roll over this

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Stringer miss your fault Woosha, Xavier you’ve got a lot to answer for

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Myers injured - sack woosha

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

We need to win with complete control over 4 quarters… Sack Woosha

19 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Can’t believe we aren’t still playing champagne football. How dare Brisbane become competitive. Your fault Woosha. Pack your bags

20 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Tippa should have ten - your fault woosha, Xavier, dodoro

20 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Sack him has to go…I’ve had enough

20 hours

Gameday vs Lions

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Sack Woosha, Xavier no good, sack the board, Dodoro can’t recruit

1 day

Has left Essendon - Yestin Eades

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Could’ve been anything

Apr 8

Dustin Fletcher Hangar

Sack him, sack the players, sack the board, sack everyone. Season is a disaster. pull down the Hangar. We’re gone forever.

1 Like

Kayo sports free 14 day period?

1 Like

the glorious nation of estonia has it

1 Like

Awesome investment in the future. Time will fly and soon you’ll be sitting with them and talking selection and strategy and they’ll love it like you do.

3 Likes

Also does the NRL as well. Best commentator around IMO. Sticks to calling the game, not like that prick Taylor.

6 Likes

When the ball came to ground in our defensive 50, we looked pretty vulnerable.

Not up to their usual review standard but still okay

2 Likes

Curious how our age/experience profile compared to the Brisbane side yesterday.

Are we in the young category as well?

Tablet, colouring books and food worked for us. Nana going to games also helps.

2 Likes

Decent rant but pretty much bang on the money.

Hopefully your son and daughter will forget what they didn’t like about attending this game in future and will just remember the highlights of it with fondness. I had a similar experience with my little daughter many years ago when all she wanted to do for most of the game was to go up and down the MCG stairs. It was the first night game at the MCG (if I remember correctly) and we were beaten by Collingwood and Rocca kicked a bag. She wanted to follow the pies but I had to work hard to discourage her.

1 Like

Just one thing thats bothered me from watching the replay this morning & thats mid way through the 1st qtr, Hodge bumps Zacka (perfectly legal) then dumps Hep head 1st in a sort of sling tackle (pinned his arms & drove him face down into the turf). That SHOULD have seen a gang of our players up & in his face. Smith went in to fly the flag but thats it. Against GWS Cameron dumped Zerret & again we didn’t show much solidarity. Its only minor I know but top teams seem to have that fierce support for each other & I’d like to see this group have the same, especially when its the Cpt.

14 Likes

Sat with VanDerHaar and our daughters for a glorious afternoon.

After near-perfect football in the first half, it felt a touch unsatisfying to “only” win by 47 points…until I realised the disgracefully biased umpiring after quarter time that was probably worth 2-3 goals on the scoreboard.

It was a win defined by career best games from Tippa and Mitch Brown…and the welcome return of Cale “13 marks” Hooker who was a magnificent pivot down back and released Hurley to play his best game for a long time.

Q1 - a near perfect quarter of football. With the weather and the setting, it’s the sort of Q1 you’d want at 2:10 pm on a Saturday at the MSG in September. Highlight was the bullet pass from McKenna into space at 40m for Tippa to time his lead perfectly and mark it lace out. For all his wonderful bravery, Heppell continued to supply woeful delivery forward when under no pressure. Something that happened more than once yesterday. It’s what stops him from being a truly elite player. Our press was excellent and Brisbane struggled to move the ball forward from deep in defence. They were also stretched for height meaning a String or Brown regularly had a much shorter opponent. We need to keep playing two rucks who can both play deep forward. Structurally, we started with Heppell at HB and McKenna on a wing.

Q2 - not as good as Q1, marred by over-hand balling, especially to stationary players. Still, we dominated, despite the umpires doing their damnedest to gift the Lions a late goal. The 49 point half-time lead could easily have been 60+ such was our dominance all over the ground.

Q3 - we came out looking a little tired and we stagnated. Bellchambers played little part in this quarter with he and Clarke rotating off the bench. It meant we played a tall short in the forward line and the Lions defence suddenly found it easier to stop us. Our defence held up well again. And Tippa put on a masterclass to get us 2 goals. Bellchambers is clearly not right, sporting a massive bandage on his calf.

Q4 - again, we started tired and left the door open for the Lions but Hooker and Hurley stood like twin colossus’s marking or spoiling everything in sight. Finally, we started to get some run back in our legs and Tippa finished it off magnificently.

Overall - we are clearly not AFL 4 quarter fit yet. Whether that’s a deliberate plan to have us peaking later, I don’t know. Playing an injured player (Bellchambers) doesn’t help, especially when you have a fresh, in-form Sam Draper ready to debut. We are a completely different team defensively with Hooker back there. We looked impregnable at times - as especially as Ambrose can take the #1 key forward. For the 3rd week running he obliterated his opponent - with Hipwood only getting a snap goal early in Q4 courtesy of a disgraceful non-decision when a Lions player held the ball too long than eventually threw it out. Zaka had one arm perfectly pinned it was a clear “one hand” handball and the umpire clearly saw it a deliberately called play on.

It’s clear we are a much better team structurally in the following ways over Rounds 3-4 compared to 1-2:

• Not playing Langford but playing a genuine mid, who can run, in Parish instead. Langford struggles to play more than 60% game time when played as a mid and is too casual and low intensity too often. Parish started well, but I felt his disposal deteriorated somewhat later in the game which may have just been fatigue. If Myers was injured I wouldn’t even bring Langford in but play a genuine inside like Dylan Clarke or debut a running type mid in Mynott. Langford is better off as an understudy to Stringer - medium tall forward who can can pinch hit in the middle on occasions.
  • Playing two rucks who spend plenty of time deep forward. It unbalanced Melbourne’s defence last week as it forced them to play a Neville Jetta - way outside his height & weight division - on Stringer. It happened again yesterday as either Brown or Stringer were regularly matched up by smaller, HB size opponents. We look far more potent up forward as a result and seem to maintain a deeper forward structure as a result. Stringer really has amazed me with how team oriented he is.
  • Along with Hooker, Redman gave us some real, physical presence down back. He is one touch unit and his aggression is welcome in a side that is often too passive. He is basically the flip side of Langford. Ridley is really a tall small and struggled overhead against a taller opponent, not really competing at all. Very good at ground level though. short of an injury, Francis will find it hard to get back in unless he takes Ridley’s spot.
22 Likes