Review Thread: Nightmare at the G

I wonder if the club is upset.

Like, at all.

Think they are, kinda.

We don't have any players who can crumb the footy in our forward line FFS!!! If Buckets or Joe can't mark, the ball gets swept away painlessly. Happened numerous times on Saturday night. It was embarrassing!

We have the people. Anyone can crumb the ball in the forward line if they make position. No one is putting themselves in that position. The question should be who is supposed to be there?

Ambrose? Oh, he isn’t there to kick goals. Not his role… apparently.

This has to be close to the biggest collective hissy fit I've seen Blitz produce since I've been posting here.

I’m a negative c*nt and even I’m a bit shocked at all the negativity.

We’ve been producing performances like that for years. Why all the shock?

I would of been angry had we lost a normal game. The fact that we were so rubbish and devoid of passion in Fletchs 400th was the clincher. Never been so angry after a game as i was sat night.

He deserved so much more. For me that was the final straw.

I wonder if the club is upset.

Like, at all.

We don't have any players who can crumb the footy in our forward line FFS!!! If Buckets or Joe can't mark, the ball gets swept away painlessly. Happened numerous times on Saturday night. It was embarrassing!

We have the people. Anyone can crumb the ball in the forward line if they make position. No one is putting themselves in that position. The question should be who is supposed to be there?

This has to be close to the biggest collective hissy fit I've seen Blitz produce since I've been posting here.

Personally the disappointment comes from the belief that the list right now should be performing better than it is. I still 100% believe the list we have at a minimum should be playing & winning a final this year. Not only should we be close to a peak with the age of the list but I believe & said it 2 years ago that there would be a small window of opportunity right now to pinch a flag with a decline in some of the more recent contenders. If we can’t even make finals with Goddard, Watson, Stanton, Chappy & Cooney then there simply is NO short term hope of anything bar disaster. There is no reason at all to believe our list will be better next year or the year after, than it is right now. That’s whats depressing.

Cos we won last week by 10 goals.

We don’t have any players who can crumb the footy in our forward line FFS!!! If Buckets or Joe can’t mark, the ball gets swept away painlessly. Happened numerous times on Saturday night. It was embarrassing!

For the people not at the game wondering why we chip around its cause you get one or two half assed leads and 10 blokes walking around.

Correct.

I think the problem is that he just asked them to kick straight, he didn't demand it.

And when they miss, he doesn’t get upset enough.

Is anyone going to address the elephant in the room...Hirdy and his crew of outcasts were once again outcoached. Tiges slowed the game to a crawl but I didn't see much in the way of imagination coming from the box. Also are we playing guys that are carrying injuries that need a rest? Basic skill errors, poor decision making, crap ruck work. All can be addressed in training.
Was great coaching from Hardwick to make all our blokes miss very easily, gettable set shots and either kick points or OOTF. And terrible coaching from Hird. Dunno what he's thinking.
But not in the one where we are talking about it.

I simply don’t get the notion of people screaming for Edwards, Dalgleish, Browne etc.

They say in: Form, out: sentiment.

These guys aren’t setting the world on fire in the VFL.

Edwards who is the talk of the town did ok yesterday but didn’t play against the Carlton whoevers.
I’m a regular watcher and he wasn’t blistering at Windy Hill 2 weeks ago either.

Browne and Dalgleish have been serviceable.
For those screaming for their inclusion are just trying to scrounge a saviour. It’s not here.

Chappy may be an out. But everyone else is pretty safe I reckon. No one is banging down the door.

interesting, would you give a guy who’s averaging 15 disposals a game, and 1.2 goals a chance in the senior side at present ?

I think the problem is that he just asked them to kick straight, he didn’t demand it.

Drives me up the wall that Heppell and Watson are our second and third highest hitout winners. I'd really appreciate if our two best clearance mids didn't spend half the stoppages going third man up, and instead tried to win the ■■■■■■■ clearance.

They have to. As Bellchambers and a hit out to advantage is a non event.

He won two or three in about the first few minute straight to our players. Again, he wasn’t great, and probably out-pointed - but he did some good things.

Can we please just get a full forward who stands in the square.

So many times we stream forward and there is no structure. We are treading water, hand balling sideways, running fats but not too fast as there isn’t anyone there.

Every time they streamed forward they seemed to have an open forward line with one on ones.

The idea that we push up as far as we do when the ball is in our forward line, without any added numbers behind the ball, is a recipe for disaster.
It gifts the opposition a free fast break into space, with man on man contests at best, and at worst, opposition forwards leading into space with the ball kicked in front of them.
You either don’t push up so far, or you have to peel one off and have an extra man back to discourage/prevent the fast break behind your defence with everyone running flat out at their goal, and them delivering the ball.

Blitz’s ‘line in the sand’ moment.

Appropriate, given that was an embarrassing backfire and had nothing at all to do with later improvements.
Being at the game and high up you could see how many times we had split them open if we just made the right decisions and then executed. We simply made too many errors.

Our defensive setup at the throw ins was deplorable and this lead to 2 goals. Cotchin and McIntosh.

Heppell 3rd up in the ruck. Stay down and get the ■■■■■■■ pill.

I’m sick of kicking to the top of square and hoping for clunk. When we inevitably don’t clunk it the ball is run out so quickly.
How about leading?

Agree with almost all of this.
Leading is, and has been for a long time, deplorable.
At the game, you see so many times we get clear in the middle and the ball carrier has space to run 10m before he kicks, and no-one up ahead moves. Any time that happens, ANY f#n time!!!, someone up ahead, preferably everyone up ahead, should look for a space to move to, and you just kick it to their advantage. About 20% of the time, someone from the opposition will read it, and be able to move to intercept, and about another 10% of the time (if you have decent kicking skills) you’ll miss the target by enough to stuff it up, and the remaining 70% of the time, you’ll gain possession in space up ahead.
But we just leave the ball carrier hanging, and he kicks to a 50/50 situation.

Similar thing happens at kick outs. No-one moves, the kicker looks around for a while, sees no options, and kicks long, or kicks to himself then kicks long, or kicks 15m to the point post, and repeat.

The crew that have been in the lid-on thead all year are taking it in their stride. It’s the lid-off crew losing their collective ■■■■■.

And yeah, I like to have a whinge but all the negativity is making me wanna start playing devils advocate and spruiking our chances against the cats.

The fact is though, it’s amazing that we didn’t win that game, we had the opportunities, right in front of goal.

Even if we’d pulled off a win, we’d still be a ■■■■ mediocre side.

Yep. Win or lose on Saturday wouldn’t have made a difference to how bad both sides played or that they are continuing to make up the numbers. Would make a bit difference to attitudes around here though.

Can anyone actually remember a Dreamtime game that was good? All I can remember from recent times is one side or even both sides playing abysmally, with shocking skills all-round, and the winner basically being the team that sucked less.

All-round sh!tty night, personified by the fat richmond kant up the back of MCC reserves on level two who, after the game was clearly iced with 5 minutes to go, was absolutely tearing into Essendon supporters in his proximity, labeling us a disgrace and going on about $2 million dollar fines and our membership dollars wasted and what a blight on humanity we all were, with such venom and animosity it was as if we’d all slept with his wife or stolen his kids or something…

What kind of a person celebrates a win by working himself up into such a blind furious rage? And wasn’t like this was bay 13, it was the suited-up dining room section…

The crew that have been in the lid-on thead all year are taking it in their stride. It’s the lid-off crew losing their collective ■■■■■.

And yeah, I like to have a whinge but all the negativity is making me wanna start playing devils advocate and spruiking our chances against the cats.

The fact is though, it’s amazing that we didn’t win that game, we had the opportunities, right in front of goal.

Even if we’d pulled off a win, we’d still be a ■■■■ mediocre side.