Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

Essen Don.

Had the flu a week, finally on the up.

Tired players make mistakes.

Sure, but that many In the first 2 minutes? First quarter? First half?

Yep, the returning guys are getting a quick reminder of how hard an AFL season is.

Just getting up for games week in week out is tough, especially if you’re 34

1 Like

So what you are saying Ivan is that if it wasn’t for the fact that we were bad, we would have been good.

2 Likes

@lyn1 very fan of your command of the language english, very good.
John Worsefold it’s a tell me your right.

3 Likes

“Rubbish” is too mild a term for this sort of maggotry. How could the man in front be penalised because his opponent hit him in the head/around the neck?

3 Likes

There inlines the main problem.

We give away to many goals through our bad skill and decision making, and it just kills any momentum.
I remember i think it was a hawks game 2 or 3 years ago, and we dominated them for the first half, controlled them for half of the 3rd, then Hurley misses a kick coming out of defence, and they get a goal, hibberd dances around gets put on the wrong foot, misses a 10 meter kick for goal, and they just run over the top of us.

We still have too many players who at crucial times make very bad skill and or decision errors. yes every team does obviously, but we rarely play the percentages for full game.

It’s gonna continue to stay the same because the gameplan is obviously take risks and play through the corridor, which Zerrett is the only player who on a consistent basis will hit those kicks. the rest of our side, bar a handful, are simply a 50 50 chance at best.

You can’t set up and play to a certain way, if you can never guarantee more often than not that players with the ball will hit their targets.

1 Like

That still is taken too late. Leuey did get Jacobs high.

Why? Because Jacobs ran in and ducked his head underneath Leuey’s arm. I’m not kidding.

Listening to Goddard on RSN. He didn’t say it directly, but eludes to half the team had conceded defeat before they ran out on the ground.

Effort was poor, no pressure on the ball carrier, and many players didn’t commit to their job in the first quarter.

Yeah, interesting interview that one.

Certainly did not turn up to play

Really? Then half the team should be out this week… Says something about the coaching staff too, if true.

2 Likes

He said the effort was poor and not up to standard. I don’t think he actually eluded to the team giving up before the bounce though.

He’s generally a lot more open and critical about his own game than most players are in front of a microphone, and generally gives a lot of insight into the modern game and what goes on at the club, instead of the usual footballer cliches. He’s usually well worth listening to

4 Likes

IMO there are 2 main reasons for poor effort.
One or more players think they can have a cruisey game, and that their team mates will pick up their slack, or that putting in the extra effort is pointless because they’re gonna get beaten anyway.

This may not be going through each player’s head consciously, but the subconscious mind is where poor effort will be affected.

I found two things he discussed interesting

First, how they are trying to keep the ball locked in the oppositions forward line and re-start attack from the forward line rather than have to launch an attack from the backline. I know the forward press has been around for a while but this was a different slant on it.

Second was his discussion about how well (quickly) the good sides set up defensively once they lose the ball. He said what the good teams do is when they are attacking the players assess whether they have a role in that bit of the attack. If they don’t (or they have done their job) then they immediately put themselves into a defensive position rather than just jogging about aimlessly watching the ball to see if we end up scoring. That way, if the ball is turned over players are all ready set up defensively.

7 Likes

Would not surprise me at all if B Goddard went on to be an extremely successful coach.

8 Likes

There would be lots of shouting and pointing.

2 Likes