Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

Me either. His insight is second to none and we all know how hot he is on accountability.

He would out-Clarko Clarko, there’s little doubt about that.

1 Like

Love Goddards insights, would it go the way of Bucks though as a coach?

Someone whose standards are so high that can’t work with those who don’t live up to the level he wants them to and can’t accommodate the different personalities that a good coach can.

They are very similar people IMO

Link?

efc site

1 Like

Bomber’s decision making flow chart in his book touches on this. Im pretty sure his flow chart was first done in 99 or so.

Can someone post a pic of it.

Anyway it is a pretty basic thing and something i expect good pub league players to do. That we can’t get it right across the board doesn’t reflect well on the club

2 Likes

Good point.
Grant Thomas is very critical of Buckley for basically this. Buckley’s made comment that he basically doesn’t spend too much time getting the players up and motivated, he expects them (and the leadership group) to do that, while he worries himself about the match-ups and tactical approach. GT is critical as this basically works for guys like Buckley who are super-determined, self-motivated, and able to be ‘on’ just about 100% of the time - but a huge chunk of your players aren’t Goddards & Buckleys, and will vary week to week, even quarter to quarter.

I suspect Goddard’s a similar personality to Buckley.

1 Like

when they show footage of before the game and as they’re lining up the concourse, bj is pumping up the rest of the players. whether some need tobe getting that sort of encouragement days? hours? in advanced, idk.

Yes, that is why great players rarely make great coaches,

In living memory, the only examples would be ■■■■ Reynolds and John Coleman. Sheeds could be borderline as a “great” player.

Unfortunately, James Hird never got the chance join this elite group. Before the Saga he was on track to do so.

1 Like

Y[quote=“Albert_Thurgood, post:371, topic:10274, full:true”]
Yes, that is why great players rarely make great coaches,

In living memory, the only examples would be ■■■■ Reynolds and John Coleman. Sheeds could be borderline as a “great” player.

Unfortunately, James Hird never got the chance join this elite group. Before the Saga he was on track to do so.
[/quote]

You forgot Timmy Watson.

Leigh Matthews probably.

1 Like

This is an absolute disgrace. You can’t write H-E-L-L or D-A-M-N without the dashes; now this puritanical Yankee swear filter won’t even let us name our greatest player and coach in the history of the Essendon Football Club.

D-I-C-K REYNOLDS.

COME ON ROLO - CAN’T YOU FIX IT?

8 Likes

Timmy Watson did not prove himself a great coach.

Unless you are living in a parallel universe.

I had meant coaches of EFC, but now see that I did not say that.

But if we cast he net wider to other clubs, I would of course include Ron Barassi, Malcolm Blight, and … who else?

Not that criminal* Matthews.(*The inly player to be convicted of an on-field incident, even though he did play for the VFL’s most protected team).

Can you imagine what Sheedy would have accomplished if he had all the help that the AFL gave that Rsole?

Forced rape of Fitzroy; given unlimited resources; advertised in advance that they would kill opponents “if they could make them bleed”. Not only no penalty when that happened but the maggots gave them extra help. Players given green lights to take steroids…

Of course not forgetting alll those intravenous injections on the benches. And so on and so forth,…

What a great coach.

Spare me.

FFS Riolio - you have to do something about this.

The #1 Champion of Essendon can’t have his own name mentioned on the #1 EFC forum in case some little old lady from Iowa gets offended???

Here is a news flash: puritanical little old ladies from the US are most likely not following our posts here.

Give us back our freedom!

FFS!!!

edit: yes, and what Perce said too!

He did also win one at the pies first.

1 Like

Winning one flag does not make a “great coach”!

FFS! If that d!ckhead Sumich had kicked straight, they would not have even made the GF.

We would have won that flag.

They would not and that Rsole would not have got the bazillion dollar AFL-endorsed gig in QLD.

King Richard.

It was a fairly meaningless answer given by Goddard in a derivative type interview - Jonodvp’s interpretation of the Godard interview is far fetched.

Very disappointed to read this.
Because we’re so bad at it that it doesn’t look like we’re trying to do it at all.

Actually, nonplussed is probably a better word than disappointed.

1 Like