Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

Wasn’t the worse bet in history… kinda kicking myself that Adelaide didn’t put the foot to the sword though :wink:

Give 'em the flick …

https://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/

Or, as I had to tonight, … stream your radio choice via web, delay 7’s coverage by 11 seconds with time shift, . & voila, …dickhed free TV Footy, … .

4 Likes

Woosha mentioned Dys was managing his workload during the week, thought he looked a bit sore tonight.

1 Like

Which way to the ‘lid on’ thread?

I think you’re in it.

8 Likes

100% agree. No doubt Adelaide were the best side and deserved a comfortable win. However we were raped by the umpires in the first quarter and they barely missed throughout the game. The score really flattered them.
I said it last week but that deliberate oob rule needs to change. AFL is a hard game to umpire and the standard is poor but their job is made so much harder with ■■■■■■ rules like the deliberate oob and 3Rd man up rule.

Mate, forget the umpires. There were no more strange things in this game than any other game this round or last. Adelaide had the polish and killed us in the middle amd forward in the first quarter.

7 Likes

I saw the game much differently to most on here.
I wasn’t expecting to win this game and the crows will finish top 4.
I liked the way we took the game on, pretty exciting to watch.
Sometimes the quick play on option wasn’t there and we got burned as the bastar ds never seemed to miss.
Obviously we still have some tinkering to do with player positions and best 22 players.
Would have been a closer game on the score board if it was played in Melbourne.

3 Likes

Is there another McGrath in this years draft? If so, at this rate, we may just end up with him ;-o

Not all bad.

The first thing we need to do is realise that we cant have hooker in the fwd line and Hurley marking the best tall forward.

Hooker zoning off makes Hurley life easier. Same with Hurley being able to support Ambrose.

Hurley ain’t going well at the moment but he looked awful in the 1st half because he was often stuck between minding walker and trying to effect contests that didn’t involve his opponent. I reckon walker got 3 goals from incidents where Hurley had gone to try and win the ball. If you’re playing on a guy like walker he has to be your focus especially if you’re not in great form.

2 Likes

Hurley just played stupidly tonight. You learn at fkn suburban league if your gonna leave your man for another contest, you better affect that contest. Twice Hurley did this for no contest in the 1st and walker kicked two, it was really fkn basic stuff that’s frustrating

7 Likes

More work doing stoppage work please. Midfield looks good on paper but really has no bite.

1 Like

Hartley MUST play if fit,
I think we looked a better side with mcKernan losing most taps but getting dangerous around the ground too
Anyone who under-performes 2 weeks in a row should be dropped, if we have all this depth people keep talking about lets get ruthless
Langford doesnt do enough, play into some form in the VFL and bring in Francis at a minimum he is a competetive beast
There are obviously plenty of others who did ■■■■ all but i cant br bothered right now

Too many tackles don’t stick, or allow effective disposal, or draw in a second teammate to assist, it consistently opens up play for the opposition. We just couldn’t force enough fumbled ball out of them tonight

Conversely, we dont break tackles, our hand balls when takled aren’t effective and we fumble far far too much.

When we actually do manage to get it outside the contest and in hand our ball movement and speed is pretty good. We can actually score now.

We aren’t getting anywhere near enough chop out ball but we don’t ever seem to try to create a spare behind the play.

Jobe, Stanton and hepp are being badly exposed for their lack of pace. Jobe spent a lot of time forward tonight with little effect and I’m not sure want stants is doing.

Our best two lock down kpd are Ambrose and Hartley. I don’t know where that leaves hurls but he is well off the pace ATM.

Hooker looked much better in the second half when he hit up to the ball but we are desperate for a guy who can zone off and consistently mark in defence.

Not sure about green. Not convinced he works hard enough without it.

I like how aggressive McKenna is at the contest though i suspect it will cost him a holiday which is unfortunate because I thought he grew into that game. People hanging him out for a few early goals are being very harsh IMO. The one that Tex got, Hampton was gone out the back for all money and Conner remarkably managed to recover and halve the initial contest, he probably should have sought to rush a behind but he could very well have been pinged for it. In the end he got a bad bounce and a useless in between effort from hurls. I have more faith in him in a loose ball situation than Gleeson and he is better with ball in hand.

Tippa is incredibly strong, was easily amongst our best and looked good even when we were getting smashed.

Woosha had to solve two issues.

1. We have to start breaking even around the ball. We have to win more good clearances and force the opposition into more bad ones.

2. We needto take more intercept marks.

Where do the answers come from? We’ll get a look at Myers onball at some time I presume, bird probably should be given a chance at least to see what he can do defensively onball. I think Langford should be getting a bit more time on ball.

As for the intercepts either Francis or hooker have to be asked to do it. I’m not sure what our structure looks like down back with francis. Maybe we try play him as a plus 1 down there.

6 Likes

So, let’s ask the Essendon coach all about the Adelaide team. FFS>

3 Likes

Hurley needs a rest. Bring back Hartley. He’s used to working with Ambrose and Brown.

Baguley was on Betts ? Come back, Mr Dea, all is forgiven !

Thank God for cousin McGrath.

Anyone else notice how Leuey was winning centre bounces, the ball was going straight where he directed it, but no one was there for it ?

What the faq was Jobe doing all day ? Making the coffee ?

And Hooksey for that matter ? Does he think Walla’s the full forward ?

2 Likes

Interesting woosha said Jobe was out in his feet, not sure Crowe has the loads down pat for the new players yet.

Long break coming at a good time.

1 Like

Hooker looks at home when he’s back doesn’t he. We’re missing a key forward. Not writing him off yet but you need the speed in the second effort when it’s crowded. Daniher is a seriously good player. Famtasia and Tippa. Colyer was probably our best tonight. That guy hasn’t missed a beat.

1 Like

That stats are weird, broke even at stoppages and had more uncontested ball and marks yet for smashed in the inside 50 count

Alright so i was at the game sitting right up the top with a perfect view of everything. If any bomber fans haven’t been to adelaide oval i recommend it. A great stadium like a mini mcg. Actually adelaide itself is like a mini melbourne, a nice place I’m not sure why it cops so much flak.
Observations:

• The midfield was better at the centre clearances today, i thought that was the one improvement.
  • Hurley, boy oh boy wowee he was even worse watching live than i suspected in the first few rounds. Even his positioning and decision making off the ball is terrible. On the big bucks really needs to shape up.
  • Hooker was pathetic in the first half but then changed it up in the second half and showed more.
  • Daniher was very good and his defensive work off the ball is better than expected.
  • Heppell, i said before the season started i think he is overrated as a midfielder and nothing has changed that opinion. The floaty up and under kicks really irk me and he is very slow.
  • Colyer, our best returning player was very good.
  • the only time betts and walker were quiete was when ambrose and mcgrath were on them, why go back to baguley after mcgrath had his measure?
  • stanton, did nothing id prefer bird in the side
  • the interstate bias in umpiring is well and truly alive
  • green is dangerous forward despite his kicking being off
  • jacobs gets away with a hell of a lot
  • i actually didn’t think watson was too bad, his disposal is still pretty bad though
  • goddard just keeps delivering hasn’t really fallen off at all
  • the midfield is better with the younger guys in there, even zaka in at the centre bounces is better than your heppel/stanton types.
11 Likes