Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said things started to happen and look good when Tippa and Orazio went into the centre and contested centre bounces. That tells me that one of two things are true:

Either both these players are midfielders and should play midfield
Or we need more pace and mobility in the midfield and less tractors in Jobe Heppell Stanton Goddard

I don’t really care which one it is.

9 Likes

Correct. We need marking down back Hartley and Hooker are the only ones.

Then we can get some run off half back instead of hospital handballs

1 Like

Honestly think it’s going to take the older returners some time to reach full match fitness & smarts, which is why I thought it would take at least 6 or 7 games before we would see what was possible. Haven’t changed in that opinion, . nor that people would go off early & judge everything - team coach & club - as fkd.

Keep your shirts on folks, . there’s a long way to go, and IMO can only get better as they play more games, … the returned as individuals, and all of them as a team.

5 Likes

Yes being outscored by only 4 goals in the second half compared to 8 goals in the 1st half was a vast improvement.

It’s actually sad we celebrate things like this

We are worse than Richmond. Fk we love mediocrity

7 Likes

They got about 4 more from memory.

Its all we’ve had

1 Like

Nah we will, its vinitage essington.

Speaking of, when you get an old crows fan tap you on the shoulder on the way outta the ground and tell ya ‘you guys showed some good signs tonight especially that dark fella where’s he from?’ You know you are ■■■■ and have been for a very long time. It’s the sympathy we use to give to bulldogs fans after a 70 point belting ffs.

5 Likes

We lost Carlisle and Fletcher, and Hooker has gone forward. Our defense has gone from great to crap. Our defenders can’t take an intercept mark. At least with Harts there, a fist would be coming through on a pack situation.

Hurley can’t jump high, and seems to be not reading the ball as well. There is just panic everywhere.

We need more enthusiastic young kids in the team. Play Francis, Begley and Co.

3 Likes

Sympathy is worse than vitriol.

Conor only seemed to get into the game after he started playing physical.

put him in the midfield couldn’t be any worse than the langford experiment.

if the returning players are 10 roundsaway from match fit they shouldn’t have fkg been played.

1 Like

To make things worse, I just read article about how EFC were interested in Laird but got picked up by crows ahead of us in the 2011 Rookie draft :frowning:

One common theme that I heard on the radio at least a dozen times was “Geez I’d hate to be a Essendon forward with the delivery in there”
Now this has been a problem for years that we don’t seem to be able to rectify, when running through the middle or up the wing we always seem to have that 1 handball or short kick too many which stuffs us up every time. So the question must be asked, are our forwards not leading up the ground or are the players up the ground not honouring the lead?
It also allows the opposition to get numbers back, why are our forwards always 1 on 3?

How many goals did we get from stoppages/clearances tonight? I think most of our goals were when we slingshot out of the backline.

We were also linked to Atkins at the Ashby pick from memory. We then passed on him 5 times and they got him at pick 81.

2 Likes

Blunder by Dodoro.

Our efficiency going forward was comparable to theirs, that just got it forward more. +16 entries

3 Likes

Sounded like they were far more direct with it.
Instead of getting it inside 50 quickly we go for 1 handball or kick too many and lost possession

We were only “better” cos Adelaide switched off and stopped working as hard.

The rest, eh it’s about where we are at, not got the right combinations yet, and like i’ve said will be hard to probably find this year, due to coaching from a position of guilt ( for returning players).

The sky isn’t falling, some great signs from certain players, mcgrath, tippa, zerrett etc, but gee the midfield is going to cripple any chance this year, unless it’s fixed. too slow and lacking in defensive attributes by alot of the players in there.

The tackling by a fair few players is just downright deplorable, there’s a reason why you shouldn’t train tackling with just bags, the bags don’t fight back.

4 Likes

Give the returned some time.

If things still look as poor in the guts at the mid way point, … then we should probably look at some new blood in there.

1 Like