Review thread V Fark Carlton

Not that it is any real surprise, but fair dinkum Dwayne Russell is amazingly bad at his job. If I was as bad at my job, as he is at his, my boss would hate me so much.

Finally, I hope that Fletch and Stanton, as well as the other 11 suspended players, got joy out of today like all us fans & members. I hope they feel there are signs there is going to be a really strong club to walk back into in September when they’re allowed to return to training.

Someone mentioned early in the match thread that they saw Heppell as well.

How can people say Jerret was good? I only saw the game on TV so may have been different at the ground, but he missed shots at goal, created turnovers, had clangers. Plenty better than him today.

Not that it is any real surprise, but fair dinkum Dwayne Russell is amazingly bad at his job. If I was as bad at my job, as he is at his, my boss would hate me so much.

I think the fact he is so bad is partially masked by the fact that Gerard “Kommer really went missing for parts of last season” Healy is worse!

Note that, all over the ground, we looked much bigger and stronger than our opponents in nearly every 1:1 match up.
Uh, oh. Don't let Gerard Healy read that.

Fantastic!!!

Whole media talking about how Essendon have the worst list in the competition and are destined to finish last behind Carlton

Players moved the ball with confidence taking risks and playing on when the opportunity was there

Kommer being annoying

Both Merrett’s played great

Grimley took some nice marks

Besides a couple annoying frees against SMACK has improved in all areas

Goddard played like in his first season with us B)

Sam Michael is most likely to be on the list next year if he follows up those competitive efforts

Told my father how TIPPA came from the Tiwi Islands was told he was too unfit a few years ago and now is on a AFL list…new family cult hero

Parish was good, he will be our main blonde hair midfielder(at least till future captain Dyson comes back)

Brown & Hartley will keep most of the big forwards honest

Mr Crowley’s goal was the perfect finish, the tagger could well be tagged himself at some stages

A LONG overdue goal

Oh and Zaka is back to his best >:)

Note that, all over the ground, we looked much bigger and stronger than our opponents in nearly every 1:1 match up.
Uh, oh. Don't let Gerard Healy read that.
Gerard Healy can read? Hmph.

Also not enough love for Brown… watching replay and he was sensational today. I realise his name isn’t Weitering… but wowee I think we have found one here! Read the play beautiful and ensured that Carlton had under 3 marks in the F50 for most of the game. Could be contender for recruit of the year.

l liked how elusive young Long was. Able to find space and back off, create some time for himself, showed a touch of the old man about the way he moved at times. Classy.

Took my 5 and 3 year old to their first game. They are so proud to have their memberships and Bombers paraphernalia. My Dad met us there.

Haven’t watched a game there since a practice match where Dempsey took 3 bounces from the back 50 a kicked a goal. Perhaps against Sydney.

Having speed across the ground and light bodies willing to throw themselves was impressive.

Impressed with Long’s class (shook Michaels hand before the game). Zaharias and Goddard would have made the Lads who are missing out proud with their leadership.

Edwards was doing a lot on the wings for a 2-3 quarters. Like him there. Zack Merrett will win a Brownlow. Was very impressed with Jackson Merrett.

Took TIPPA a little while to get into it but for his first game at that level (even against the blues kids) he showed poise.

Dempsey looks tip top. Langford will be a great carasella type for us. Joe D finally learns how to kick and forgets how to mark. I like him at centre half. More damaging.

Crowley is a great strong body to have. Showed leadership.

Parish has very quick hands and has guts for such a light build. With him and Merrett in the centre, we look sharp, particularly with Zaka wining his own ball, running and kicking long.

Our core of young players are enjoyable to watch.
Fantasio, smack dos some good things.

At about 6-7 goals down the drug “comedy” started rolling out. Even jokes about the high numbers must be the age of the players. Carlton supporters are easily the lamest losers going around. Why don’t they peeve off, support the Victory and just fold. They play as they support. Weak and blame everyone else for their performance. I feel for Fitzroy supporters when they see that club is still going.

The grounds facilities are terrible. Try taking little kids and walking inside the ground to get to the toilets. If there was a fire today it would have been chaos

Very proud of our endeavour. Great to here some of the suspended boys were there. Ballsy thing to do so at the scums home ground. Yes we know they’re innocent but their supporters are animals.

Geez woosha looks fit. He looks comfortable and happy to be where he is. We seemed to be past the black dog. Looked like they he fun today.
Thrilled we have him as a coach. This game restored my love for season 2016. Regardless of the amount of games we win, proud that quite a few supports got around to support our mob

I wrote it in the game thread, and I’ll repeat it here.

If there is ANY way that we can get a pro-EFC commentary during an EFC game… please EFC, can we make it happen. Spend $100k, spend $500k, I don’t care. But listening to the miserable muppet commentators on both radio and TV today was frustrating beyond belief.

Biggest issue I have is that there is no talk from media about Tippa, who I thought was impressive today. The things he’s had to do to get a game of AFL is ■■■■■■ incredible.

But instead let’s talk about a big, #1 draft pick who’s been in the development system since ■■■■■■ auskick because he took some uncontested marks.

Were there hot chips sold at this particular venue?

Affirmative. Very remiss of me not to report. The chips were standard commercial variety thin cut. Not particularly well cooked and a little bit soft with only a hint of crunch. On the plus side they were not oily. They had very little salt and I thought they could easily have used more but Mrs Hambo who is on a low salt diet was happy with that. Verdict 4/10

The hardness at the contest in both winning the ball and the tackling was excellent.

Love Sam Michael. Reckon he has booked the number 1 ruck spot - he works so hard with repeat efforts.

Now i just need my right ear to recover from a Stevie ear-bashing…

I wrote it in the game thread, and I'll repeat it here.

If there is ANY way that we can get a pro-EFC commentary during an EFC game… please EFC, can we make it happen. Spend $100k, spend $500k, I don’t care. But listening to the miserable muppet commentators on both radio and TV today was frustrating beyond belief.

I think the best way would be to petition Poxtel. Have something like American PayTV… where you subscribe to your team commentary. So essentially there are 3 commentary teams to the game… 1 for the home, 1 for the away and 1 that is ‘neutral’… you then select which one you want to listen to.

I would seriously pay extra $$ if it meant I got to hear something ANYthing about EFC players rather than Weitering

Would love to know what Conor said to the bloke in the pocket there while they were scuffling. It was a pretty high tackle, but that Carlton bloke had no idea he was swinging punches at an ex Gaelic Irishman.

And can someone GIF the bit of play in the first where three Carlton blokes were on their own and one meandered after the ball just to lose it over the boundary? Was reminiscent of Pig and Murphy in 2014.

So would the bloke.

Swish.

I wrote it in the game thread, and I'll repeat it here.

We should have a couple of Blitzers mic up and run the commentary from this site?

There was only one player worth watching, and that was the Number 1 draft pick Weitering. No one else played and Essendon didn't win by 10 goals.

3 Weitering
2 Weitering
1 Weitering

We should have drafted him. Sack Dodoro.

No love for their number one draft pick JACOB Weitering?

I think he is a great number 1, a really great player with enormous potential and very good head on his shoulders, but there is no love for the crap the comms went on with today. We also had a bunch of young players who absolutely towelled up Carlscum’s young brigade but you would not have known it.

My comments were more about the commentary than Weitering.

Positives:
  • I thought Zaharakis was very good, a harder game from him which was nicer to see also.
  • Goddard a class above these peasents
  • Edwards was BOG in the first half and then faded as the game wore on, but was everywhere in the wings when the game was on. A definite positive all day.
  • Parish’s handballing under great pressure was a massive highlight, and won some centre clearances and looks like he’s going to be a player.
  • Brown had an impressive first up game, playing very well down back and winning comfortably all day
  • Hartley had a good game and looks like he’s going to be a very solid contributor this year
  • Gleeson was good and had some nice run and carry but needs to find a better mix every so often.
  • Croelwy was good early and good late, he’ll be the best of our top ups this year.
  • Grimley took some strong grabs and could have kicked 5 if he could have kicked straight. Very promising game.
  • Daniher was missing his marking early, but never stopped working hard and finished with 3.
  • Simpkin was reliable as a journeymen and will be a good contributor this year for us.
  • Didn’t notice Bird much offensively, but did have 9 tackles. Room for improvement.
  • Langford has the class and just needs to win a bit more ball when the season proper rolls aound.
  • Sam Micheal is a raging bull, trying to rugby style run through packs. Very competitive and a real competitor for us.
  • Gwilt made me nervous all game with some dinky backward kicks, prefer Brown/Hartley over him.
  • Tippa very quiet early but came alive later in the game. Some brilliant one touch pick ups and superb body use were his highlights.
  • McKenna didn’t get much of it, but had a fabulous passage of play when he trapped it with his foot, picked up and dishes off, ran and received and then set up a goal for Merrett.
  • Long has class most certainly, winning more ball is the next challenge.
  • Dempsey had his moments.

Shame you missed Hams? Thought he was a driving force regularly bobbing up and creating headaches for FC all game! Well done Hamsy.

was great to go to princess park. its a really nice ground. would be cool to see season proper games played there with a big redevelopment.

as for the game, theres definitely stuff that needs improvement, but we played a strong competent and confident game.

we were really good in the contest. alot cleaner possessions than previous years. ball movement is FINALLY quicker, meaning were likely to score more. NO BACKWARDS AND SIDEWAYS KICKING EN MASSE! plenty of big bodies. we still need to improve our marking and kicking alot though.

most of our new recruits look very promising. Crowley is going to be awesome and Parish looked like he handled the game with ease.

on another note, the bombers should try to pick up weitering. that kids going to be an absolute star.

ALSO, this was one of the least painful games ive watched in a long time. i hope the trend continues to the season proper. was really nice to not pull my hair out in the stands screaming “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!???”