Review thread V Freo - DJR wishes he started this thread

3 words: Phillips and McKenna

7 Likes

I can’t imagine why that might have happened? I mean round 1 they should be able to play full on footy for four full quarters without getting tanked.

2 Likes

Yep. Still don’t see a midfielder in him, but he’s better at that close to goal pressure fwd than anyone else we have.

Watched with some friends… with appropriate social distancing in effect. Main takeaways were… same old, same old. Even a shortened game and we ran out of legs… and red time was a nightmare.

TBell didn’t do much to show me that his selection was warranted. I am so so so so so sick of our highly paid staff seemingly not understanding more about this stuff than the common fan. Wasted selection.

Not really enjoying the no crowd experience… kinda took a lot away from what would have been a manic and very very intense last five minutes.

Still happy for a win in what is likely to be the only AFL game this season. The signs are there that we still have a long way to go with our forward line. A long way.

I hope they find a way to keep the footy going… it was still nice to cheer for the Red and Black.

3 Likes

Didn’t get a lot of the footy but Smith still has balls of steel

7 Likes

Only Essendon can make a win feel like a loss

19 Likes

Belchambers going up against 2 ruckman after an interrupted pre season was a real surprise.

4 Likes

EFA

6 Likes

As soon as freo threw lobbe into the ruck TBC was a goner…

When we should of slowed it down we couldnt because we had no tall to kick a bail out kick to…

id like to see the stats of freos scores when lobbe was in the ruck compared to darcy…

A game we should of won easily in true essendon style we nearly farked it

2 Likes

we were one kick away from the whole board being in a very poor mood. i am sick to death of seeing this from us every year. we mount a nice comfortable lead and we constantly give it up to the opposition.

our captain today was beaten comprehensively by a 1st gamer, our ruckman is not AFL quality and hasnt been for quite a while, our forward line besides townsend was an absolute mess and we crumbled the moment freo applied even a slight amount of pressure. a slightly better opposition would have smashed us

we were aiming for consistency this season and you couldnt have had a more inconsistent game from us. we are still mediocre… prepare for another mid table finish

7 Likes

A team that wants to play finals and go deep don’t allow sides like Freo with a sniff when they’re up 20+ points.

6 Likes

Bring back players who had a preseason is a start!!!

1 Like

We will play bellchambers for another 3 games and then finally realise he is a liability so bring in Phillips who won’t have played for a month, then drop him for bellchambers because he is rusty.

24 Likes

Surprise???

Almost sabotage by Woosha helping Freo out I would almost say

Worst decision ever

17 Likes

I questioned the TBell decision and still do but the obvious answer for his inclusion is his tap work which is better than Phillips. Part of the reason they moved Lobb into the ruck was because of Tbells hitouts to advantage causing issues and allowing Shiel to really dominate.

Also Fyfe only had one clearance for the game, hard to dominate as a big inside mid when your ruck can’t feed you the ball easily.

16 Likes

Upside is that no one has beaten us yet this year. Not that we have been pretty. But there are some good signs. Phillips is a very clear in for next week…if we get a game. Thought a lot of our players looked very off…Tippa and Saad looked nowhere near as fast and elusive as last year.

2 Likes

We’ve got good footy in us but we’re not consistent and professional enough to do it every quarter, every week.

Herp derp, sack da coach.

1 Like

Townsend was brilliant up forward- don’t see too many of his critics right now

Shiel was fantastic, his kicking was very very good

Saad was good

Zerret was good in close

Smith was his usual terrier self

7 Likes

We won the hit outs & clearances, but can’t say watching that it made a real diff to our play overall. They worked TBC over as the game went on, making his usual laziness stand out even more.

When players come back, it’s one of Hurley or Francis for the 3rd tall/loose player spot. Neither should be used as a KPD one on one. I’d be going with Francis.

4 Likes