Review thread vs Port — urgh

I reckon Freo in Perth may be our only shot. Although with no ruck, its going to be hard to win anything out of the middle. Note, I don’t rate Clarke as a ruck at all

1 Like

Really missed Smack and Laverde’s ability to present a marking option in the forwardline.

Really missed some actual onfield leadership. Zerrett isn’t captain material imo.

Really missed a lot of tackles, and handpasses, and kicks.

Really missed an opportunity this season.

1 Like

Realy killed by injuries to key players

6 Likes

How many ■■■■■■■ times is this going to be repeated over and over brainlessly

THE SERVICEABLE RUCK WE WANTED WAS TAKEN BEFORE WE COULD PICK HIM

7 Likes

effort wasn’t there for whatever reason.
poor skills and decision making yet again. you can’t cover that without defensive effort.

will be interesting to see how they go next week, doggies generally simply out work us when they play us and generally get the win.

so next week will give a better indication of what happens for the rest of the year imo.

3 Likes

Merrett was good

2 Likes

Had a pretty good run against Port (8 out of last 10 before today) this decade but they pulled out one of their specials today. Warning signs were there with the coach under pressure, the media questioning their selections and a recent poor record against us. They were switched on from the first minute and I think some of our players were still sitting by the pool on the Gold Coast.

They are the type of team that will lose to Sydney at home next week to shoot themselves in the foot for a finals spot. A certain flakiness that is very reminiscent of Essendon 2017. Port have had some great ‘away’ wins this year - sadly we were another victim today.

Did not like Hinkley laughing in the coaches box and Duursma bringing the bow and arrow out again. Hope our playing group don’t forget this for next time. Joke is on them though as that win alone will probably mean Hinkley sticks around next year and they continue to frustrate.

As for us? Well… injured personnel certainly caught up with us today and the ones that were out there had season low moments. Set shots by us were abysmal in the second quarter when we had a big chance to put scoreboard pressure on. On the other hand… they kick 14.2 from set shots and not many sides in this current AFL climate will win games conceding that.

Can’t fault players commitment over last 8-9 weeks. Many of us had a strong feeling that a game like today was probably on the cards and it panned out that way. Doesn’t excuse losing by that margin but our own fate is still in our hands.

The club will review and I reckon rather a potentially season defining loss … today will turn out to be the catalyst for an ‘angry’ turnaround next week against the Dogs with hopefully (?) some big names set to come back. Expecting the Dogs to lose to the Lions at the Gabba tomorrow in a major blow to any top 8 hopes they have.

We will be more desperate next week. We can’t just sweep this loss under the carpet but players do have some credits in the bank after a solid 8-9 weeks. This year has plenty of twists and turns to come.

22 Likes

Looked like a team that’s had gastro or something similar run through the club over the past fortnight.

4 Likes

The players got into some real bad habits against GC and continued it today. They need to learn they aren’t good enough to just turn it on when they want

1 Like

This

1 Like

THE LOSS WE HAD TO HAVE

2 Likes

Port were always going to win the clearances, but our mids didnt place enough pressure on them.

Port pressed hard, worked harder, ran harder in transition. Always looked like a floggin from the first bounce.

Well coached by Hinkley. Its bizarre port are not in the 8 and we are.

I guess perhaps in a month they will be.

We wont win a final without Bellchambers and Heppell. Just no chance.

Dogs will do the same to us next week and we will look like missing the 8.

5 Likes

Missing the simplest handpasses and went missing in the second half. Double the clangers of his next closest teammate.

5 Likes

You honestly think we can beat the doggies on current form, and with the personnel out? We have just been scrapping over the line, and are notoriously slow starters. I think sides now will just load up on height, and we are in trouble.

1 Like

Fark we’ve been on a great run and without many key players

Cut them some slack

They looked in need of a break

This is a very even comp and not many win 5 in a row

19 Likes

Ready to be shouted done, lets put things in context

Missing are

Captian
Devon Smith.
Belcho - # 1 Ruck
Draper - Was ruckman in waiting.
Joey
Smack
Hurley

In todays game

Parish - gone early.
Hooker - playing sore
Francis - was injured early, off ground a number of time for treatment.
Saad - hammier issue.

But the Pies have a lot of injuries but of the their last 5 games have 1 win by 1 pt and 4 losses with average margin of 31.75 pts.

Essendon is not a top 4 team now especially with the key long term injuries and key players carrying injuries.

The last 5 weeks the team has fought out every game and got the chocolates, do not throw the toys out of the cot over today’s result.

39 Likes

As predictable as last weeks stinker.

4 Likes

so there was no other potential ruckman that were on offer ?
you say serviceable, what we needed was cover just incase this eventuality happened where bellchambers went down.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting you find an A grade ruckman, but if you pick someone you at least give yourself the option of going into a game with the potential of something being different.

In all reality, at present we’d be picking a 3rd grade ruckman from whoop whoop ahead of clarke if we had the option or choice.
we aren’t because they put themselves in that situation, by not picking anyone, not just one player they had their eye on.

1 Like

Although it never feels that way when you’ve traveled so far to witness such a ■■■■ game
Feeling your pain cos I’ve done the same for decades

1 Like

ZCLARKE should never been taken!!?