Review Thread vs Roos. Little of Essington Little of Essendon

Woke up and checked the scores, turns out we won

3 Likes

Scott gave Daw an absolute roasting, it was embarrassing. I dunno whether he broke a team rule or something but Daw was close to best on ground for a while there, virtually rucking solo all day before getting tired. Bellcho looked flat footed and took a while to establish himself.

If the fat tin rattler whose first name I can’t recall (Chris or Brad) Scott has anything senior in the public eye to do with EFC, I’ll probably pack it in with footy for a while.

North have a weird brand. They will kick back 80 metres to try and free up some overlap and they have some seriously quick players who are drilled at providing overlap and they do this weird Gerard Neesham early Freo draw a man and handball style which annoyingly works a lot of the time. They arent far off the middle of the pack type sides and have been in a good 8 or so games they lost.

Their changes actually were a net gain or at least neutral I reckon.

Daw was really good and seemed to create about 5 goals from his leap and clean tap work. I wish Goldstein had played. Hes a broken man by all accounts.

i thought we did work hard. It can sap all of your energy chasing their style around which we did do. Laverde for Green was a net loss re this but Laverde will be better for the run.

We dont have anyone to counter Brown. Nor have we ever been able to stop Waite who was also a very handy inclusion for them.

The key is to get first use so you dont have to chase North around. Our middle of the road midfield didnt drop its head. They kept working hard and North ran out of gas.

i thought it was a pleasing solid workman like effort and dealt with the Essingtons with good leadership from the mids, Fanta, Tippa and Hooker (in the end)

4 Likes

Brad

Chris runs Geelong.

1 Like

For large parts of the game we started with only 5 forwards against 7 defenders. This is why they constantly marked unopposed when we tried to go forward & were able to set up so many inside 50’s from halfback. On the flip side we gifted them 1 on 1’s in their forward line all game. This looked a carbon copy of how we’ve lost many games this year & for 3 quarters we seemed to have no answer. I was at the wrong end to see the setup for the last but it was only late in the game that we seemed to maintain a forward structure & kick long to it. The dogs are a little light on for tall defenders but if we are not going to play to that strength then they will easily rebound & give their forwards plenty of chances.

2 Likes

Nicholls I believe. The unholy alliance is Pannell, Nicholls and Fisher. Anyone know if its happened before. Bookmark it here, those three will be saved for the finals if we make it.

5 Likes

The first 3 quarters was like playing Texas hold 'em against someone who had never played before. Odds were in our favour but this time chance won as often.

2 Likes

I’ll have a go at answering this. Not my view but what I think the earlier poster was trying to mention…
I think because when we get threatened in games we, as a team, go to mush, a lot like the first three quarters against nth…
But when we’re on and teams don’t really pressure us we play like we did against port.

Very chalk and cheese performances.

Was at the game. Our inside 50’s in that first half were incredibly frustrating. Their 2 spares were cutting everything off and there was no cohesion between our mids and forwards. When they got the ball, their players would spread out wide and they would have 3/4 in free space on the wing. Worsfold was out coached most of the game, it was only their players getting tired which helped us IMO. That non-free when Joe being hugged in the goal square was one of the worst calls I’ve seen. Not pretty, but when you haven’t seen a win live for 13 years, you take it.

On the train coming in I would say we out numbered them 6 to 8 to one. Your estimate sounds right to me.

I guess they have taken a hammering this season so only the 5000 core supporters bothered to go.

Helped by all the inexperienced young players as well

I’m actually with Scott here. Daw deserved a roasting. He was ■■■■■■ that despite Daw being one of the strongest blokes in footy he was getting pushed aside far too easily in contests

We will be a better team when Hurley returns from his RDO

2 Likes

Ambo held Brown to one goal when they beat us last year.

7 Likes

I was up the other end . We had an extra man on the half back line in the last quarter as far as i could tell. North played a similar game to Brisbane. Spares in defence to run the ball out. We have struggled with this and Worsfold said straight after the game we knew what was going on and dealt with it or words to that effect. Seems like he wanted the boys to see if they could work through it with our game style. Clearly he felt it was time to make an adjustment from the coaching box. I think going forward we will have an answer to playing against that setup ( eg Carlton)

We won the clearances 50 - 27 but lost the inside fifties 57 - 61.

Work that one out.

Do they have one? A chat between 10 people is not a forum surely

I think Brown said that in the third quarter we had 23 rebound 50s for one inside 50.

They just piggy back off the North Melbourne little athletics website.

1 Like

Yeah. The bombing out of their 50 was frustrating.