Review Thread vs Roos. Little of Essington Little of Essendon

Jobe could’ve killed him

2 Likes

Chris_64, Daniher beat Daws in most ruck contests, When the second Norf ruckman was used, (sorry cant think of his name) we won the ruck contests easily.

But Belchambers could not win clean taps when Daws was rucking. Daws is the better ruckman and north won plenty of the critical centre clearances

During the last quarter, Bellchambers started to run at Daws a bit early and took his space, which meant Daws could not get the full run up he needed. Once he figured that out, Ruck contests were even.

2 Likes

It’s due to a glitch in one of Telstra’s configuration files. The Essendon game is wrongly marked as not enabled, and the app falls over. There is an update on http://sandbelt-sandpit.blogspot.com.au/ that fixes this particular problem, and in the meantime you could use the copy-to-clipboard function or just take BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS advice

6 Likes

I did take BD’s advice but wondered if the file had not been put up.

Thanks for you efforts Sandbelt, your downloader is much appreciated by me and lots of others on here.

3 Likes

It’s absolutely clear the only reason North were even remotely close to us was the absolutely atrocious kicks into the f50 for three quarters. These weren’t pressure kicks, there were at least 10 where we had players out and the player with the ball kicked it to absolutely no man’s land / a north player with no pressure on him at all

Was utterly bizzare to watch, the only team we need to get over to win a flag is ourselves, every game we lose we lose ourselves with under 15’s level skill errors and decision making. Like Joe kicking into the man on the mark so hard it rebounds for a goal 8 seconds later, or BJ lazily giving Sydney a throw in instead of putting the ball 80 metres away.

5 Likes

Thats because of all the hits in the head he got over the journey…

If you take out the 6 goals from frees and the 3 they got from soft turnovers…we smashed them.

With all those kids that they played having heaps to prove for the future, they were always going to be giving it everything and play tight. We did play a but casual hence the easy turnovers. They ran out of puff in the last and the umpires were probably worried that they wouldnt get out alive if they kept up the crap umpiring so stopped with their ■■■■■■ calls.

I think we still need some work in the head space ie dont go in to games winning before you have played. You only have to be off a couple of percent to cost you a game

I agree. On paper we kick it to one of 3 talls i50 who are meant to have 3 smalls at their feet to crumb and snap or alternatively tackling any defender who gets the ball.
In reality that only ever happens if we have already kicked a point and there a 40 blokes i50, or if we win a clean centre bounce (even then Tippa and Raz are probably in the Centre square).
We are a fast break side who usually gains possession from turnovers and generally the only guys i50 are those fast enough to get back in time, like Tippa and Raz. One of our tall guys will generally mark it on the wing or outside the top of the 50 arc then wheel around and look for a target by hand or foot to get a shot closer to goal.
Not that I’m complaining, just agreeing that our goals don’t eventuate the way we (on Blitz) assume from theory.
Hookers goals seemed to come from him playing deep and other forwards making early leads in front of him.
It seems we have plenty of avenues to goal and plenty of back up plans. It also helps that Stewart is so mobile and his marking, field kicking and handballing are instrumental in setting us up as we transition into attack.

1 Like

You know what, a win is a good win, especially against these frontrunning, tin-rattling peasants. North have made a habit of stuffing up our weekends far too much in the last few years- so 4 points, no matter how dodgy, are still gold.

7 Likes

Yep. I know we are often criticised for “bombing it long into F50” but these bad kicks were all low trajectory long kicks, many were easy to intercept . The only time you kick low into 50 is when theres a player on a lead, or low and short to a static player in space, or when the defenders are all top level contested marking players… ( not the case with North)

In the last quarter at long last we kicked high and long to one of the best contested marks in the game.

Intercept marks by our opponents are death to our forward game plan. Our plan B is to get the ball to ground when our talls are spoiled.

2 Likes

It was a bit of a perfect storm really. North clearly put some thought into isolating our defenders, they have two genuine targets with which to tie up hurley and Hartley and then we compounded everything with a lazy arsed first half and horrible turnovers.

That which we did to St kilda - make them reactive and chasing the ball - we self inflicted on ourselves. And we showed precious little interest in chasing or working hard off the ball for patches of that match. The defenders had a bad day, but as a team we left them wide open way too many times.

Im still undecided if its a positive or negative that we brought it on ourselves. In theory, we can correct our attitudinal and skill failings. Maybe the last term was a sign of maturity. Hoping so.

But, a win is a win. And winning with some concerns is totally different to losing same game.

6 Likes

We played horribly and got the win. That’s the important part.

2 Likes

I worked all weekend so only got to watch the game last night but that…was…the…worst…commentary…team…ever…assembled…EVER!

Absolute trash.

8 Likes

I liked when Eddie repeatedly referred to Baguley as Begley.

4 Likes

Tom Hawkins?

foolishly decided to re-watch the game last night. I can say that I definitely wasn’t over reacting to the umpiring on the day. We were absolutely slaughtered by those 3 flogs
As has been said the use of the ball going forward under not much pressure was amateurish and for 3qtrs we just kept giving the ball back to them.
And then to listen to Eddie McGuire call the game, was vomit inducing. Before anyone at all makes the mistake of watching the footy show on this ■■■■■■■■■ return, just listen to his commentary of this game. What a sad state the of affairs when this guy can hold a job calling the highest level of sport in this country.
Just made me more angry watching the game.

2 Likes

I like Eddie as a commentator.

It was DAL and ROO that ruined it. Brownie is just OK.

3 Likes

All the way back to Harry Bietzel.
1980: The reason Essendon don’t get many free kicks is because they are second to the ball.
1984: The reason Essendon give away so many free kicks is because they are so aggressive at the ball.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with this.

I don’t mind fat guts calling.

It’s meat heads like Brown and Dermie who can ■■■■ off to Uranus

1 Like

I’m pretty sure DAL didn’t even realise North had an opponent… was as bad as Ling doing a Geelong game.

2 Likes