Review thread: Western Sydney Humidity

You know, as bad as some of those '70s sides were, none of them put in as spiritless and as pathetic a performance as what was dished up yesterday.

2 Likes

@Albert_Thurgood This was actually a question I was going to ask those who were there through the 70’s. Is this worse? We are surely the fans living through the worst period of the club’s history. Are we? I know the game and culture is different but still.

Seeing Hawthorn post game on Saturday and seeing our effort yesterday just makes me sick. Where has our culture gone? Zaka joking around after the game lost by 80 points.
Meanwhile a guy we brought in from the opposition is clearly devestated.

Not going into bat for Goddard when he’s being targeted by Carlton ■■■■■ last year - that is where we are and have been for years.

Sorry, I need to vent. The sad thing is that I’m actually starting to care less and less.

3 Likes

Totally agree. We completely packed it in

It’s a reasonable assumption. They looked and played without any zip and spark.
Overcooked would be better than undercooked as they can ease off a bit to get fresh rather than having to do more to catch up.

It’s one thing to be outplayed. But to look like that physically at round 1 - nah.

2 Likes

Tim Watson getting stuck into Merrett. Hard to argue

7 Likes

I agree with Albert, I don’t remember such a spiritless performance by Essendon.

But I do think relatively speaking we suffer from a feeling of entitlement after the first 20 years of the Sheedy era which revived the memories of the Reynolds era and earlier ones.

I am hoping we were overcooked and just not capable of run or skill execution, and we can begin to find our mojo next week. It would be a horrible to experience a whole year akin to the second half of 2015 when we finally had the heart ripped out of us, except it would be much worse if there was no understandable reason for it.

2 Likes

@SCarey can you explain your reference to the “Turk departure”. What have I missed?

You must be a masoch1st. Got any whips.

This is what I was referring to, there is a thread on it

1 Like

Did you see the footage of this?

It was brutal and Tim was 100% correct.

3 Likes

That’s what I meant by “hard to argue” - saw the footage and there’s no excuse for it.

He’s supposed to be a leader of the club.

1 Like

I can bring them, but it will cost extra

1 Like

I don’t think I really noticed that one live. But that was extremely bad

1 Like

I actually noticed another instance, maybe 2nd quarter, ball was up for grabs. Merrett stood a few feet away and…watched. Didn’t actually go in for the ball at all.

You know, when we got these ex Richmond folks in I was kinda hoping we’d end up more like Richmond circa 2017. Not Richmond circa 2007…

12 Likes

Disagree. Good coaches and good game plans make footballers look smart.

1 Like

McGrath honestly looks like he’s been crying here

Hurley and Hooker are around 30, Colyer went for a bag of chips, and Myers would get little. Only Heppel would be worth anything.

You need to remember that most of those young blokes are high draft picks from the past 2 years - picks that we didn’t have because we traded them for SSS and Sheil. So essentially SSS and Shiel are the equivalent of those young blokes.

1 Like