Review v cats

I promise if we get up against hawthorn il shout the whole fkn town at THE ROYAL

11 Likes

Hartley was destroyed by Hawkins the second time around - Hawkins treated Harley like a rag doll - The raw figures donā€™t tell the true story.

2 Likes

Agree on Brown, but I reckon Ambrose is one of the lockiest locks in the team for round one - and I think thatā€™s right, too. Does SFA wrong.

2 Likes

We need McKenna down back, alongside Mick Hurley and Gleeson, for the rebound.

The real problem is Baguley. On current form heā€™s just not up to it. A month or so ago I said he should be brought back slowly, via 4 weeks in the Magoos, and got laughed at for saying it.

Whoā€™s laughing now ?

2 Likes

Does anyone really think that Hartley or Dea are better defenders than Hurley?
The 2017 season hasnā€™t started yet either so how can anyone criticise selection? I doubt there was a single team picked by anyone all pre-season that was the best available side.

People donā€™t like the facts getting in the way of a good story CB.

I was referring to the last time we played Geelong at Etihad.
I remember the game.Clearly, Crazy Bomber does not.
Hartley was embarrassed, and totally demoralised by Hawkins.

If you like stats, here they areā€¦
Hawkinsā€¦
3g 4b
15 disp
7 score involvements
10 marks (6 contested)
8 marks inside the F50

I like Hartley, but I donā€™t want to see him line up on Hawkins in Rd.8 !

We havenā€™t had a match winner since the day Hird left. Not one current Essendon player has that ability, Watson and Heppell included.

7 Likes

Harsh on Watson, I think he was a fantastic leader who set the standard and always lifted when required (and was a match winner). Watsons career ended up miles better than I originally thought when I first saw him, that was purely down to effort.

Heppel. I pumped him up before the game so not going to be too critical at this stage, but I am watching. Havenā€™t seen much in his captaincy so far that shows heā€™s setting the standard but its a small sample size. Effort and the non negotiables have to start with the captain. I think he will get there, but improvement still needed.

2 Likes

fck meā€¦you guys expect fkg miracles and in a pre season match of all things

I for one was quite happy with the game on Sundayā€¦first half worked well even without a recognised ruckman. having said thatā€¦smack really did lift to the challenge.

The second half looked like a play thingā€¦Joey down backā€¦Walla on the ball. It was obviously a test and see second half

Defense needs some workā€¦but there were a couple sitting in the shed to help with that

Wato and Hepps are progressing nicely. And no.32 is already there

And those Stanton haters can gogfā€¦that hand pass out to space and resulting goal was pure class

I am pumped about this seasonā€¦first half of the year will be up and down but watch out in the second half when they are all match fit.

Go Bombers

14 Likes

Only a sample of 3 games, however, we were 2nd last on percentage, and had almost the most points kicked against us. On the other hand, we were 6th in terms of points scored.

If this trend continues, it looks like our forward line has made significant improvement, but the defence is still back at 2016 levels of performance; its not helping that we are being scored against a lot from llosing clearances at centre stoppages.

We need more effective intercepting in the defence. This will improve as Hurls form improves and maybe adding Dea who adds intercept marking capability. Of course Hooker would majorly improve this area and may yet be asked to play down back at times.

2 Likes

Winning more clearances would be pretty good, too. It is seriously demoralising watching teams waltz away from stoppages time and again. We seem to have nfi how to set up around a stoppage.

2 Likes

Just my opinion, but I think Jobe is a match-winner.

1 Like

Not just your opinion I would suggestā€¦ Or hope.

2 Likes

To those who want to play Joe in the ruck - we need to wait until his knee isnā€™t held together with sticky tape.

3 Likes

I hope the first 5 minutes of the 3rd qtr, is a wake up call to the on field leaders. The senior players were all there. Hepps, Jobe, Goddard, Stanton. They had the responsibility to ensure the right structures were in place for stoppages etc to try and slow down the Geelong momentum.
we have the experience, and leaders, they need to be able to get the team to react as quick as possible.
Letting 10 goals past in 1 qtr cannot be allowed to happen again. I donā€™t care if it was a practice match or not.

8 Likes

We can talk about scoring is improving etc but at the end of the day this team needs to learn how to win again.

I guess we all wait and see what happens against the Hawks in Round 1.

I will say as a result of what weā€™ve shown in the preseason. Iā€™m less confident that we will beat Hawthorn than I was before it started.

4 Likes

Weā€™ve shifted from having an almost elite back 6 to a bottom 4 back 6 in the space of 18 months. The forward line is the opposite.

Weā€™ve gone too far in trying to recruit forwards or move players forward to the point where we should just about pull the pin on the Hooker forward experiment before it even starts properly. Should also do a 180 on the Francis forward experiment. Kid is an elite intercepting rebounding defender and we are in desperate need for one.

With Daniher, Stewart, Smack/Belly, Tippa, Green, Fanta as forwards with Lang/Lav/Jobe resting forward and Begley coming through we are well stocked for forwards without needing both Francis and Hooker there.

3 Likes

Just had a chance to watch the games last night & Iā€™m most happy with how it all unfolded apart from Luenberger getting hurt. Second half was a bit of experimentation & managing players IMO. Jobe was basically a permanent forward. Heppell played few minutes in last qtr & Walla, Parish, Z Merrett as our centre square trio a couple of times.

The first half was brilliant and IMO result inconsequential. I doubt the coaches box would be making valuable intel available ahead of what looms as a critical round one. Baguley is a worry for mine. Lost a yard of pace, heart only goes so far. Iā€™d already be picking McGrath over him. Hartley & Dea must come into the side IMO. If Stewart can produce as a forward with Joe, Iā€™d love to see Hooker play as a defender with Hurley & Hartley, using Hurley in the role Fletch played later in his career as a playmaker from defence. A lot of positive IMO.

12 Likes

Our backline is in pretty good shape and did well in the first half. I think they actually had more inside 50ā€™s then us. The thing that has helped our scoring, (and I have said this when our fwd line looked shit) is ball movement. You can have average players in the fwd line but if you move it quick and deliver it to the fwds advantage they can look like stars. I am not saying our fwd line hasnā€™t improved, it has. But its more to do with how we are transitioning the ball then the fwd line itself.

Our glaring weekness at the moment is the midfield, we have the tallent in there but it just isnā€™t working yet. The opp are winning to many clean clearances which means the ball is quickly and accurately delivered into the ops fwd line. Not really our backline fault. Very little you can do when it keeps coming in quick and to your opponents advantage.

Its ok to loose a clearance but you at least have to have some sort of pressure on the oppā€™s kick or your stuffed no matter how good your backline is.

1 Like