Review v cats

The most telling thing for me yesterday was Dangerfield in the third(well obviously). It wasn’t because he wasn’t tagged, or we didn’t have the right set up. They showed footage of Dangerfield several times in third doubled over sucking in air like a biggest loser contestant. The reigning Brownlow medalist, one of the best players in the game in a preseason game wanted to win and was going to do anything possible to get the win even if it hurt like hell to do it. Who on our team was trying that hard? Excuses that they aren’t fit is BS, Dangerfield clearly wasn’t fit enough but pushed through as hard as he could and will probably be fitter as a result. Dangerfeild had absolutely nothing to prove to anyone yesterday but he did it anyway, would be nice to see some of our players try that hard.

24 Likes

Agree, and like I said after JLT one. You cant have both Jobe and Hepp in there together, they are both very slow and if we dont win the ball they can win it to cleanly. Which makes it almost impossible for our defenders.

When Geelong had all the momentum, Woosha sent a few guys behind the ball and we just played negative, reactive, back in our shell footy. It would’ve been nice to have a Heath Hocking type standing goal side of Dangerfield and maybe do something to cut off the supply. Colyer was one guy who I thought tried to make things happen against the flow.

2 Likes

The forward line has been completely rebuilt in 12 months, and so far, it hasn’t included any of the suspended players.

From a forward line perspective, it’s actually a good benchmark.

1 Like

I’m not sure where Stanton fits

I don’t think it’s a option to play him and Kelly in the same defence. And I think he’s way too slow to add to Watson and Heppell.

Hmmm

4 Likes

People are glad we were 40 points up. Does the word “were” not mean anything to anyone?

3 Likes

Yep, the forward line progression has been impressive, especially as it hasn’t been driven by Daniher or Hooker.

2 Likes

Excellent, lets talk some footy.

Agree on the pushing the man behind the ball… ESPECIALLY IF ITS JOE! He clearly had little idea of exactly what he should be doing or positioning. It looked very much like a “we haven’t really done this before” move.

Live at the ground, i didn’t think the answer was to put more pace on the ball. Mainly because our pace is too light at this stage, and the whole thing was about momentum rather than unpressured disposal. Lets be honest, Danger very rarely ever hits a target lace out. Ever. He - and most of the others in that third term - simply got it inside 50 where Hawkins at minimum crashed the contest (he’s so much heavier than Hurls atm). We went into panic mode, defenders and mids drawn to the local contest and leaving their men open for the feed out and/or to set up the wall. The cycle began and we fed into it.

Two things probably needed to stop it. A Hooker (or Carlisle!!! fkg prick) to pluck a mark rather than allow an endless ground ball pressure fest. That wouldve turned it all on its head and you can get control to work it back out. We barely had a controlled possession for 15 minutes.

Or in the middle, we needed solid bodies and correct setups to start neutralising the clearances. It felt like Darcy started to struggle in the clinches against much bigger opponents. Hepp was slightly off the pace instinctually. Jobe spent time up forward. We couldn’t sort out our positioning anywhere. The most farcical was a boundary throw-in during the third where it looked more like two rugby union lineups opposing each other, not actually playing on each other. Surprise surprise we lost the tap and an easy clearance at the Cats half forward line. Oh so dumb.

I think our pace is a major weapon. but i don’t think its going to make much difference if its still reactive.

16 Likes

Not many posters have mentioned Goddards game today. Thought it was one of his better games for a long time. Also Zacka looks close to getting back to his old best.

10 Likes

Has played his whole career like this. It’s my only knock on him; always gets the ball running the wrong way.

Let’s panic. We lost another practice match. FMD…

5 Likes

It’s the way we lost it. That’s been a common theme for all three games. And for a long time before that with the majority of this group

But Hey, let’s go stick our heads in the ■■■■■■■ sand and claim it’s only a practice match blah blah and not worry

To give up a 40 point lead at half time and havecus mentally switch off like that is seriously concerning and frustrating, JLT or not

17 Likes

Hopefully Bellchambers puts his hand up…we need to take a risk and play Daniher in the ruck if things turn pear shaped.

1 Like

Yes, but all we have ‘practiced’ so far is losing.

2 Likes

Essendon have been a real tease the last 3 games.
Their best is exhilarating.
Their worst, diabolical.

At the beginning of the third, players just weren’t switched on.
In contrast, Geelong players were running into space unchecked.
Some of their early goals were lucky but they took advantage of it.

Returning players building their game fitness, a cause for the drop off?
Hope so.
The coach seems happy with how the team are progressing.
He shows no sign of stress or concern, which can only be a good thing.

Now Essendons next opponent haven’t been faring much better.
F50 entries in the Hawks 3 games … 43, 36, 43
Essendon … 37, 40, 46 (on the up, suggesting greater cohesion?)

Major plus so far has been Essendons capacity to score.
94 points, 76 (in a low scoring game), 100 (!)
In contrast the Hawks graph has been on the decline.
And, had a few kicked on them.
98 (conceded 94), 74 (95), 68 (96)

Here’s hoping the numbers favor the Dons!

1 Like

I would have taken half the team off the ground after half time. They’re ready to go. No need to get everyone injured for the sake of running around the ground against a team who were shown to not be up to it. We didn’t play with any intensity in that second half and I’m happy enough with that. What sheep station were they playing for again? Please remind me.

9 Likes

The first game you could justify a bit, we benched most of our good players in the last and the kids and second tier struggled.

The second we went in with a bunch of kids and you could say, learning curve, but actually they just got beaten again. But the slightly more stacked GCS should have got over the line.

The third there is no excuse, we capitulated in the third and could not restore the momentum.

I do fear that the constant loosing last year will take some time to break, a winning mentality doesn’t just appear. Let’s hope that we can find it fast else this could be another year on the fringes.

As much as I hate watching non-essendon games nowadays (thanks afl) I did take a look at the Hawks game. Apart from Rioli lighting it up they look in serious trouble. But, as I said with our game, it’s a practice match so I would expect them to be switched on for us. We start like we did against the cats, then this game could be a big springboard into the season.

If people think that pre season games are not important, that they are just to give players a run and blow off some cobwebs then they are still living in the 80s

1 Like

Apart from the 80s being a really great time for watching football, if you cared to watch the hawks game you may have seen a team that didn’t seem to give a flying fark about the result of their game. That’s what we are up against in round 1. From that we know little about what they will be like game day. We sure as fark won’t be switching off against them.