Review vs Adelaide

Agreed. And stronger. Was that Blake’s idea?

1 Like

Crap. You are talking complete crap.

1 Like

The problem with these kind of blanket black and white statements is they exclude all possible nuance from the discussion.

I’ll give an example:
I have a good mate who supports the pies (I try not to hold that against him). This friend is an extremely intelligent and articulate guy, been a professor and lecturer for decades. Very much a staunch lefty progressive and sensitive to prejudice. I can recall at the time of the Goodes fiasco he was happily booing him from the stands, and made the case that he thought Goodes had been needlessly antagonistic for years, felt that him calling out a 14 year old girl publicly was outrageous.

Now, speaking on it again several years later, he regrets his booing at the time and has come to have more empathy for the ways in which Goodes background, experiences and perspective would have informed his actions. He’s learned and grown over time like we all do. His booing of Goodes wasn’t motivated by overt racism at the time. At most perhaps subconscious bias and tribalism.

3 Likes

What do you object to pells#1fan?

I don’t really see our “system” that truck and Cara go on about.

Does anyone else know what the “system “ is?

Why are we talking about Goodes

8 Likes

If meant literally, this is garbage.

I get that she was no good and we copped the raw end of it but you’re kidding if you honestly believe that an AFL umpire firstly bets on a game they’re umpiring and then secondly, actively sets out to try to influence the outcome to win herself a bet.

You’d be surprised how little importance “who an umpire went for growing up” plays when you get to that level and when you’re out there calling what you see in front of you. They don’t have time for that. Nor would they wish to jeopardise (or in her case worsen) their reputation and career trajectory.

Is subconscious bias a thing? I dunno, maybe for some. For others they may subconsciously end up over correcting when they umpire the team they ‘support’. But as I said, it’s not really a thing.

1 Like

i was saying boo-urns

2 Likes

Well I object to idiots like you. But I also object to idiots who think that umpires are biased against Essendon.

Come to think of it, maybe you’re also that kind of idiot.

You are correct.
No issue is completely black or white.
In Goodes case significant booing grew and it wasn’t just because his exaggerated diving for frees suddenly repulsed everyone.
He knew, we all knew, he was being told to ‘get back in your box matey’!
Very sobering documentary

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think it’s an actual accusation.
Rather a humourous way of describing extreme levels of bad umpiring.
It’s like when you say someone is paper bag on head ugly.
You don’t expect them to actually walk around with it paper bag on their head. Usually.

2 Likes

And in 2022, in this very game, Walker returns to playing after serving time for being racist captain nobb.
And Hawthorn is dealing with unresolved Rioli racism right now.
And Betts retired 4 months ago and said he copped racism during his whole career.

But Goodes was booed out of the game because of purely football related matters.

FMD

Yep and I felt really uncomfortable watching Adelaide players flock to Tex after his first goal in the first quarter like he’d just come back from some heroic injury. I know they love their teammates but it was uncomfortable to watch.

1 Like

I booed Adam Goodes because he was a whinging sniper. I booed Joe Daniher because he left the Bombers. Mrs Fox whacked me in the ear both times. Not everyone is a racist in either case. Can’t speak for the reason that othered booed.

2 Likes

Blue Collar System TM

"I think what we’ve seen in the past is that really strong defensive teams, teams that are good in the contest, teams that have a good balance between attack and defence, they’re all the hallmarks of the consistent teams.

"I really want a Ben Rutten coached team to be a blue-collared team and I think that’s at the core of what Essendon is and what Essendon has been built on in the past.

“I really want our team to be a disciplined team on and off the field. I want them to have a really strong work ethic and ultimately I want to build a really strong trust and dependability in what we do.”

He said he wanted the club to go from unpredictable to being a side that was consistent.

“That won’t guarantee results,” Rutten said. "We know that and we understand that, but we want to understand that we need to build our game on some really tough, hard footy, the contested footy, we need to connect really well and build some strong camaraderie and cohesion on our team.

I think Truck did a great job connecting the team with our history last year. May need to keep that up IMO. Seemed to set the mindset or tone well for 2021.

Interesting that some of the sides that have played more attacking are currently going ok. We zigged and they zagged. Saints, Blues, Freo and even GC last week.

White Adelaide crows.

Yeah we were unfairly lumped in with the Collingwood racists

He ran around smacking Hird that game behind play whenever he turned his back, and then the moment someone retaliated he went down like he was shot and got a free kick.

2 Likes

Isn’t there another thread for the Goodes discussion? I came here to feel miserable about my team winning.

11 Likes

its the im not racist but… political correctness thread

1 Like

I’m sorry, but this simply isn’t true.
And neither is that doco, btw.
Go and watch his last game.
It’s the semi final of 2015 against North.
Watch the few before that, too, if you like.

West Coast booed the crap out of him because they just love to boo. They really do. And they’d been given a target to boo at.
It would be interesting but personally tedious to look up how many indigenous players West Coast had that day. So feel free to do that as well.

I don’t like lies.
I don’t like history being rewritten.
And I especially don’t like it when it’s being done for something that happened only seven years ago, to people who were actually there.

3 Likes