Review vs Dees - Melk and Hibberd vindication

Yeah I was shattered when Lav went down, so important to our future.

1 Like

Can you please not attribute the first part of that post to me? lol

Iā€™m going to make a big call hereā€¦cause this IS Blitzā€¦but this would have to be right up there as one of the worst posts in Blitz history.

7 Likes

What on earth would that change? Move Hurley who was playing well down back to the forwardline and Joe who bar his kicking was dominating into a full time ruck??

Donā€™t get it. Those moves are Sheedy Esque and wouldnā€™t have changed diddly squat.

1 Like

Flogs were impressive, and it was probably not the main reason for the loss, ā€¦ but if you canā€™t u/stand why a 5 day break would effect us more than them, ā€¦ then you arenā€™t fully thinking it through.

2 Likes

Dry, flat track with mild, still conditions and we somehow looked very slow today, I canā€™t really explain it. Polar opposite to Anzac day.

There arenā€™t too many excuses you can make for some of the crap served up today. I felt we dominated the second quarter and a large part in the middle of the third for not much return.

There were a lot of meh performances in between, but McKenna was woeful and I thought Green was poor too. In contrast Hurley was clearly our best I thought and McG looked class as well.

Jobe looks cooked, Iā€™m praying he responds, but it is very concerning.

Freo has been up and down too but it could get ugly next week with a similar effort/execution as this week.

In the 2nd we should have been 3 goals up at half time in a game with zero intensity.

They rose the bar in the 3rd in the middle and around the contest.
They transitioned and ran harder to move the ball easily from their half backline, and forward quickly for some opportunistic goals.

Melbourne were stronger around the ball from the 3rd on.

And their stronger players are also quicker than ours.

If we butcher the ball moving forward, we are no hope with Hepps/Jobe/Goddard/Howlett/Parish as midfielders, who simply canā€™t keep up on the rebound.

I have no doubt we were affected by the 5 days. If youā€™re going to transition the ball quickly, the players further up the field need to be running hard into space.

They didnā€™t, so we just got smashed on the rebound.

Just goes to show what a massive hole Jobe leaves when playing poorly, and Iā€™m afraid heā€™s only going to go ok from here on in.

Then when Zac is down and Parish is quiet, well-we are no hope of winning.

And the restā€¦well I hope the selectors dobwhat needs to be done.

1 Like

We are garbage at etihad. Havenā€™t won a game under the roof since we fluked a 2pt win against a rubbish St Kilda in early 2015

Iā€™m over this counting how many days break we have had, I get that you need recovery time and some players will go in underdone, but these are professional sportsmen and itā€™s a crap excuse for a lack of effort and intensity.

Itā€™s pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sad when I can honestly say last year was the most enjoyable Iā€™ve had for years because even though we couldnā€™t match it for class, you couldnā€™t have doubted our endeavour.

These losses fkn kill me

6 Likes

Didnā€™t hurt Collingwood today.
Good teams donā€™t make excuses

10 Likes

Played terribly pretty much the whole game. It happens. Collingwood were poor last week, yet this week theyā€™ve towelled up Geelong after a 5 day break. This sort of defeat is disappointing but in fairness the Dees played very well after half time. Players having basked in a good win last week now have a full week to lick their wounds and regroup. Hope we bounce back against Freo.

A few observations

JD played for a free kick in his 1st contest of the game, kicks absolutely ā– ā– ā– ā–  house, grabs Hibbo for a bit of a play at the beginnng of the 2nd half, WTF switch on you idiot

Bellchambers got smashed around the ground, their ruckman just ran off him all day to dangerous spots, whats Tomā€™s reaction? Stand the mark on the closest kick.

Goddard on Petraca in the 1st, jog after him then turn away, he did ok for the game but jeez it sets a tone

With Ambrose out why not Lightbodies Partner? Based on Browns and JDā€™s attempts to mark on the last line a clearing defensive punch should never be underestimated

Darcy Parish in the middle, at least he has a crack

Zerrett been good but ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hell his cheap ā– ā– ā– ā–  possessions are hurting us, why spread 100 meters before a contest is won or get a cheap kick out the back, other teams are onto your plan

Tippa and Colyer good, Raz was a bit lost after he worked out that Hunt fella could go with him for pace, needs to learn from that

Jobe, sorry mate your cooked, rest might help i hope so

McKenna at least he had a crack

Dea, outsized on Watts why Hurley didnā€™t get him i dont know

Gleeson was forced to play on his man which is never a good thing, they spread and he could not assist as 3rd man up

When we butcher the ball coming out of defence get Walla down there

Always next week i guess

In Mutch to learn his craft ala that Albino kid they drafted

1 Like

They wonā€™t play finals. They are a honest middle of the road side at best

Has it dawned on you that we are not Collingwood?

4 Likes

Whats the difference? They are all professional sportsmen paid for performance.

5 Likes

Hooker should of gone back in the third quarter, Joey to the Ruck switching with Bellchambers. Just bad coaching IMO, wow even swing Hurley forward when Hooker was down back. So many options to mix it up and just stayed the same. Really disappointed in the coaching in this game.

Excuses, excuses.
We lost to Carlton because we canā€™t play wet weather footy, we lost to Melbourne because of a 4 day break. When will we accept we simply are an ordinary side?
Next year ANZAC Day is a Wednesday so with a 3 day break we may aswell forfeit it now.

4 Likes

Oh, I dunno, maybe different personnel for starters.

1 Like

Stop blaming the short turn around. We are carrying blokes that are either near the end (Watson etc.) or simply park footballers: Brown, Dea, Gleeson. Throw in abject games from Merrett and Daniher in addition to Colyer, Parish and it was no surprise to see that tripe.

Does not make it palatable or acceptable. Not much has changed in my time of hiatus.

Smythy

7 Likes

We were hawks best loss, that bothers me.

7 Likes