Rex Hunt has notched up 2000 games of football broadcasting

There was a time when he was a passionate, descriptive and articulate commentator.
When the nicknames were affectionate rather than self-promoting, and he was all about the game.
When his calls were exciting.
At that time he was my favourite (and by definition in my opinion best) caller in football.

But that time was 20 years ago.

He was good 20 years ago but then he started believing his own hype and you could listen to him for about 5 minutes and have absolutely no idea what was happening.

‘I’m Rex Hunt, and you’re not.’

Good.

He was pretty big there for a while.

I actually agree with Wim, back in the 90’s Rex was legendary, and you’d rather listen to him over anybody else.

It just slowly, year by year, became apparent how much of a fark up he was as a human being. It made him harder to like or even take seriously.

Still, he deservedly has his place in football broadcasting history.

SHould have only called for tv. His lack of description was unsuited to radio.

Can’t remember which game it was but loved how the ‘Fat Lady’ started warming up 3 minutes in to the 1st, was in full flight after 5.

Loved Rexy prior to about 2008. Take him for what he’s worth and he was always good value.

Can't remember which game it was but loved how the 'Fat Lady' started warming up 3 minutes in to the 1st, was in full flight after 5.

Not sure about that…but he managed it in the 2nd quarter of the 2007 grand final.

I found how he came to be football caller interesting.

He was approached as early as 1978 to do it. But, he waited until 1979 to do it.

Honed his skills at 3AW in the early days getting help from Harry Beitzel and Bob Quinn and working with former 3LO caller David Grant. Went over to 3DB and had to try call matches whilst the races were on - eek. Also worked with Phil Gibbs on Channel 10’s calls of the VFA!

Came back to 3AW in 1989 and took over from Beitzel who went to 3AK. Safe to say that he and Bill Jacobs never got along. Bill was too much old and boring.

Would rather listen to anyone else. Cant stand his rubbish theatrics.

You’ll love this load of self-aggrandisinwank then.

’Twas a disaster when he swapped with BT.

BT ruined 3AW, and I take it 3AW’s blokey moronity ruined Rex.

Neither BT nor Rexy., as ordinary as they have become, can go close to being as bad as J Brayshaw. Has anyone ever heard J Brayshaw provide an insightful not so obvious comment on a game or club or player.

Rexy is bad nowadays in the eyes of the majority unfortunately but JB is the absolute pits. I still don’t understand what JB is there for other than a few comments relating to a player’s off field exploits or quoting ‘the dukes’ or ‘the prune’.

Can't remember which game it was but loved how the 'Fat Lady' started warming up 3 minutes in to the 1st, was in full flight after 5.

Not sure about that…but he managed it in the 2nd quarter of the 2007 grand final.

It was a Geelong match, it was after the cats (through GAJ) kicked a goal in the first minute right from the center bounce.

He did get the fat lady out in 1998 vs Carlton when they were 25 points up in the last quarter, then we came back and won at the end when SOS stuffed the kick and Lucas kicked the goal.

What a bitter bunch. You’d think Rexie stole everyone’s dog.

Granted he lost it with his calling after a while, but I remember listening to Rex, Sam and whoever the stats guy was from 12pm through to 6pm straight when I was young and they were pretty entertaining. Yes, I didn’t enjoy it when he slammed people but I hear much worse from Caro, Patrick and others these days.

A lot of callers and commentators annoy me these days and just love the glory and spotlight to be on them.

Who do people think are good value these days for special comments, commentating and analysis? Its a struggle for me to come up with names to be honest.

EDIT… Just curious did, Rex do something inappropriate or was he charged for some heinous crime or is it just his manner and commentating that frustrated people?

Would rather listen to anyone else. Cant stand his rubbish theatrics.

You’ll love this load of self-aggrandisinwank then.

This is dizzy stuff.

Rolling another fat cigarette waiting for a handout.

I used to enjoy Sunday night from 5 till 6.

That wasn’t calling the game though.

I liked him from 90s to early 2000s. But fark, would take him at his worst anyday over BT or JB.

worst caller in football.

l enjoyed him.
Also enjoyed the Captain and the Major.

worst caller in football.

l enjoyed him.
Also enjoyed the Captain and the Major.

Difference is that you had some idea what was happening on the field with the Captain and Major.

Rex is the worst radio commentator in the last 40 years.

Rex is my favourite commentator of all time. His style was suited best on the radio. But he could make the most dull piece of play ever sound epic.

As a person he was a complete tool. As a commentator he was “the man”. I think some people forget just how big he was in the 90’s and early 2000’s. His style changed the way people commentated on the radio.

Will never forget him yelling “LLOYDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD” when Lloydy would grab a mark on the lead.