Richardson & Rutten

Even if that competitor is Essington?

They have specifically said that this was not the case, and they were taking some of Richmond, some of Essendon, and some new.

Yes, even then.

As if you wouldn’t take a 50% pay rise.

I think Rutten would be questioning whether hes made the right move.

1 Like

Essington is one of the most iconic brands in the AFL. You think St.Essingtons day just happens? You need the right people, you need a vision, and you need the right corporate culture.

6 Likes

It took Hardwick ages to get the Tigers to buy into defensive requirements.

They were one of the worst tackling/pressure teams for a long time.

Eventually they hit a tipping point

2 Likes

I highly doubt he would be questioning his move.

He would be earning his family a lot more money than he was at his previous employer. He has very high credentials and a reputation of one of the next senior coaches.

It’s his job, it’s how he earns money for his family.

He wouldn’t be questioning anything.

3 Likes

People are dismissing the idea of someone’s drive for a new challenge.

Let’s be honest, this club is one of the biggest challenges in the competition.

1 Like

C’mon KM that’s just ridiculous.

Actually took them one pre season.

Hardwick and coaches released after so many years that playing attacking footy was’t going to win finals/flag

Dan Richardson was the GM of footy at Richmond for a couple of years, then directly demoted to allow Balme to take over that role, a move that was rated as being instrumental in the club winning a premiership - then Xavier offered him the GM of Footy job.

He must’ve thought all his Christmas’s had come at once.

I personally don’t think gameplay is the issue. I just don’t think we have skillful players. Most top picks are very skillful, but not ours. I look at the Hawks, who on paper don’t look great, but their kids are super skillful. It’s the recruitment that makes the game plan work. We simply don’t have the cattle.

You took it literally?

Ok.

Agree. Heppell is our captain and supposed to put the team on his back when we need him but he’s a really average kick. There were a few instances on Sunday where he got the ball in a good position to get us going from half-back and just turned it over, completely killing any momentum we could have got. We have very fewer players who I’d consider elite kicks or handballs. Jobe’s handballing was on a completely different level compared to anyone we have now.

2 Likes

[quote=“conjunctivitus, post:20, topic:15355, full:true”]

If GWS pays you say $600k a year, and St Kilda (who aren’t as competitive in market as your current employer) offers you $1.2M and a more senior role.

What do you do?
[/quote] (Edited):

Select Essendon

1 Like

I/we don’t have enough knowledge to comment on these 2 guys and the role in our current schmozzle

Speculate all you like.

I would have thought not having knowledge is a prerequisite for making most posts around here.

4 Likes

This is a silly as the people saying Shiel would be regretting his decision. They both came to us, they now work for us for large amounts of money and it’s on them to perform. If they see it differently then they’re not professional. And generally professionals in competitive environments enjoy a challenge, they don’t question how they got there.

I wish we would learn the key lesson from Richmond’s recent history, which is fck off the list cloggers. It was this as much as any of the off field stuff that took them from perennial mid table club to top 4.

Look at the list in 2015, just two seasons before wining the flag.

Captain - Chris Newman
Vice Captain - Brett Delidio

Others- Nathan Foley, Tyrone Vickery, Chris Knights, Taylor Hunt, Ricky pettard, Troy Chaplin, Shaun Hampson and Ivan Maric.

Sure Lids, Newman and Maric could play but the club made hard calls on them. They also stoped playing the others listed above who are nothing but huge spudtastic list cloggers.

The result more talented kids got games or they brought in hungry 22 yo VFL players who were hungry and more than happy to sacrifice their bodies which gave rise to Richmond’s pressure style.

If we want to improve, then be like Richmond. It’s not a gameplan issue it’s a team selection and list management issue.

2 Likes

You know what RICHMOND did… they shouted, loudly, that that wanted to win a premiership. It was number one on their ‘strategic plan’ They told everyone that’s what they were aiming for … proudly.

4 Likes