Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

Agree with you on this PP. we were simply out pressured but managed to make most of our limited chances. Harts can have a spell now x

Midfirld seems to go ok when it’s a centre bounce but after that it’s the run and spread that’s breaking down. Zaka seemed to be the only one tonight providing that.
What is really killing us is the repeat i50s that we are allowing.

The half backs and mids aren’t able to get that next kick out to break it up, but instead either turn it over or at best generate another contest where we eventually concede possession and it gets thumped back in again.

The resilience of the backline has been amazing.

Kick outs are a major problem, have been all year.

1 Like

How good was the backline though?! 71 inside 50s for 81 points, that’s really something.

Baguley played a blinder, and everyone has been certain his career was shot one a couple of occasions this year. McGrath just keeps on having games you’d be happy with from a hundred game player, more composed than 90% of the blokes out there.

Zaharakis may have ruined a couple of chances going forward (not Robinson Crusoe there) but besides that he had a very good game.

Hooker had a shocker but I guess that’s football, we know he’s better than that

Merrett and Daniher both good as always but Joey just seemed to be so far up the ground this week as to make him ineffective no matter how well he was playing…this may be a consequence of having Bellchambers as the main ruckman

4 Likes

Nickname us “The Missing”.

Missed tackles, missed sheperds, missed kicks, missed handballs, missing players, missing intensity.

Missed opportunity…fark this sht, i’m going to bed!

5 Likes

But but but that girls hooters in back bar of ROYAL MAMA MIA FAP FAP FAP

1 Like

Seriously though Am I the only one on blitz who thinks jack riewoldt is a dead ringer for the SHERMINATOR

3 Likes

No surprise that Fanta, Tip, Greeny all play their worst games for the year in one game and we lose.

Add Hooker and Colyer to that list as well, and add also that Joe was a non factor after quarter time and that’s the end of that.

I just got home. Tired and annoyed. Fark this. Not our worst loss of the year (carl and melb were worse), but it’s certainly the one I’m most annoyed about.

3 Likes

Maintaining a continuous state of rage over tonight.

Alcohol not helping

Fkn fkn fk!

We lost that game through our own woeful disposal

1 Like

I think this was a repeat of the Carlton game. In the sense that our half-forwards were drawn into the middle, and then we just over-did the handball between our players in that midfield congestion.

We shouldn’t be so scared of kicking to our tall forwards, even if the movement is not perfect, with our smalls told to stay there to crumb.

My god we were ■■■■.
They stopped us kicking the ball and forced handball, zero changes to try and get back to our game plan. Zero position changes other than Joe floating a bit across half back.
Hooker was ■■■■, so put joe in the ruck and tbell ff all day. Hooker can roam. Why wasnt tippa and raz in the centre from half time onwards?
We did absolutely nothing to combat them beating our game plan.
They are rubbish and we should have slaughtered them. As usual an essendon side that has achieved nothing of note, yet somehow goes into a game cocky, no pressure and no heart. Why we cannot come out breathing fire and smashing a ■■■■ team is beyond me.
Lucky for our backline, although harts is a shadow of 2016 harts.

We will beat gws next week as someone else said and continue this head ■■■■ year. Jesus my heart.

1 Like

Thought we turned the corner with wins over Cats and Eagles but nope same old Essington. lets face it we will always be an inconstant crap side.

Fkn lol.

Not even going to bother reading past the first few posts.

Thought it would be tough tonight. Tiges brought it & quelled our run.

We are a work in progress and still haven’t quite worked out what to do when sides tackle hard against us, … but we will.

Fkn near got them anyway despite it. Get a fkn grip.

9 Likes

To be honest, I think there is a lot if whining going on here. Change about a minute of their season and Richmond are top 4. Only Adelaide has taken them apart. They have players who contend for best in their positions in the league on all three lines. They have been playing good footy, and we’re fired up. Did people actually think we were favourites?

Most here are giving them no credit. Or us for still being in it deep into Q4.

Yes, our disposal and structures wasn’t as good. Because we often didn’t have the free options we did the last few weeks as their opponents were tight on them. Because Richmond shut down the corridor better. Because they put more pressure on the ball carrier. Because whereas the last two weeks we won the one on ones, this week Richmond did. Because they exploited their midfield dominance.

Yes, poor games by most of our forwards, Colyer, Zerrett (seems to have been let off here) and our slower, older players exacerbated things. But this was often due to Richmond.

The occasion and pressure didn’t help. Their core team is experienced together, and has played pretty of big games including finals in 2915 and 2014. We were playing guys like Walla, Hartley, Stewart, Dea, Parish, and McKenna who have all played less than 30 games. Zerrett, Raz, are not much more. Green has probably never played befor 80,000, Hooker is still learning a new role and Belly and Myers were playing their 2nd and 4th games in two years.

We will be up and down.

I’m actually reasonably pleased how much we pushed a top side while down. The defence and JD played well. Belly showed a bit, as did Zaha.

The only player I’d be dropping is Colyer, and that is because he’s been poor for weeks. Levy may come back in. Ambrose needs match fitness, although really we want him, Hurley and Hartley to take Lobb, Cameron and Patton. Dea will struggle on those guys!

19 Likes

Tigers played well but top sides don’t lose from 30 points up and also lose after being in front for the last 21 seconds of the match and tbh we still could have easily beaten them if our skills weren’t poo.

1 Like

Maybe you can see it as geel and west coast having their worst games of the year and us firing.

Nah they played crap because we didn’t let them play well.

4 tackles inside 50 compared to how many vs wc and geelong

right there, they had really good forward pressure, we had none

it was like the tigers have had a year more than our guys to get used to their game plan

richmond always seem to play more aggressive vs us and we brought our aggression last week and not at all this week

Our Essendon is outstanding, our Essington though…wow