Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

Our skill level was simply horrible. We got found out by a team who ran harder, were much cleaner and applied good pressure. Turnover after turnover, short kicks to contests, pointless, inaccurate handballs and dropped marks. Commentators can attribute some of these dropped marks to Rance’s imaginary implied pressure, but the reality is that our players failed to execute this basic skill several times over. Guys like Hooker and Bellchambers need to get aggressive and start clunking again. Tippa played like it was white supremacy appreciation round. Trav Colyer couldn’t handle the footy cleanly or hit a target all night. Myers really battled. Stewart was plain awful. Green and Fantasia went missing. Not sure who was on Caddy (might’ve been Dea), but when we’re conceding 7 shots at goal to Josh Caddy, you know we’re in massive trouble. We even let Houli dominate us. We’ve got this great showpiece event, 85k+ turn up and we produce absolute garbage. And not for the first time. Get some standards FFS!!

3 Likes

Some grunt would have been nice, still think we’re 10% better with Smack in the middle.

2 Likes

Frustrating thing is we only needed to play 10 mins of good footy and could have still won the game.

8 Likes

Been like this for over a decade getting sick of it tbh.

copout excuses galore

3 Likes

Yep losses shouldn’t be accepted we are in the business of winning I hope Woosha put it between the eyes after the game.

Why will we? I know you love being an apologist for every bad loss and every bad performance from every player, but when exactly are we going to put this together? Another year? 3? 5? 10? Do we have to wait through another 17 years before we stop being a work in progress? I’m sure in another 10 years when we’ve managed to finish 10th you’ll still be rocking back and forth telling people “get a fkn grip mate, it’s just about to come together”. Honestly at least some of the people that get down actually expect some form of standards from this club, not be spoonfed the same tablespoons of mediocrity every year and then be expected to like it.

Honestly if we don’t know what to do when “teams tackle hard” then we’re in a worse position than I thought, bottom 4-6 if so. You don’t play the over possessing, uncontested soft football and expect to beat many quality teams regulary. Our midfield has a few classy players on their day like Zerrett and Hepps, but we badly lack 2-3 inside players that can actually get their hands dirty. Myers is average and I’m not even sure he was any better a few years back, Jobe can barely kick now, and Goddard is well over 30. The club needs to focus hard on mids in the draft/FA period, and ones that can actually win their own ball. Bird is exactly that but the club doesn’t want to play him so whatever.

6 Likes

That performance just plain stunk.

To me it shows how reliant we are on Zerrett. Only an OK game from him, means we need Colyer and Zaha to lift - both found wanting.

Confused by those potting Bellcho or the inside mids. Won the hitouts & clearances pretty handily. Turned it over on the outside, time after time.

2 Likes

We’re a good chance to lose the next three. We really needed to win that.

6 Likes

Wondered if some of our blokes couldn’t see properly - kept kicking to Richmond. Apple turnovers on the menu tonight.

1 Like

Two bad loses in the wet, style of play or personell?

Hooker looked injured to me, didn’t see the game last week but another poster said he hurt his hip in an incident with Mitchell. Hopefully he can work through it because he is better than what he showed last night.

2 Likes

The game was a reality check to show where are currently at. Not surprising to me at all. We have a team that’s been on the park together for half a season. We have a game pan that requires highly disciplined execution from 22 blokes in sync each week. In addition, we could use 2 inside midfielders, a ruckman who also gets possessions around the ground, and a full forward. I think the club is moving in the right direction and I’m optimistic about that, but in 2017 I think we’re lucky if we make the finals. That would be a success imo.

4 Likes

Treating it as 40 point loss, why do we have to go that extra possession when there is already a shot on goal.

3 Likes

I’ve normally calmed down the morning after, not this time. Still absolutely ropeable, every time we play this steaming pile of ■■■■ football we let ourselves get dragged to their pathetic level.

2 Likes

Great post, I’d add to that that we are trying to develop a high skill, Hawthorn inspired, gameplan. We’ve been able to pull it off the last two weeks but last night the Tigers were able to clog the corridor and stuck to our spreading mids like glue. We need to get better at dealing with that, and we will, but it will take time and personal changes.

Also, the people on here who regularly slag off Rance need their eyes checked. We would have won by 5 goals if not for him. He’s a star.

5 Likes

We’ll beat the Giants

1 Like

If Hooker can’t kick, generally doesn’t lead and wants the ball bombed on his head, remind me why we’re playing him forward again?
His game has been on a downward trajectory all year and last night was the nadir.
Sure the midfield supply was gash, but he was deplorable. Barely touched it and torched it on the rare occasions he did.

Turnovers can be fixed - generally we have been pretty good the last few weeks with ball in hand but turnovers in modern footy kill you. It’s essentially what lost us the game. We didn’t have too many clear winners in the night, I thought goddards first half was great, Hurley was terrific and dea/bags/McGrath/McKenna were pretty good too. Says a lot when you think the best players on the night were all defensive players

So many down on output it wasn’t funny. Joe wasn’t seen in the second half and green, hooker, raz, Tippa, colyer, green, zerrett, Stewart all had their worst games for the year. The fact we were still in it with 5 minutes to go shows how overrated Richmond are. With our output last night they should of killed us but missed some very easy set shots that kept us in it

Zaharakis played the dumbest 35 touch game ever. Was painful to watch but I really like the fact he found it that many times. He’s picked up his workrate massively

Myers - meh. He’s had three games now and personally I don’t see it with him. I’d be having a look at someone else, he’s terribly slow and a slow decision maker.

Colyer is in real bad form. Do you persist with him in the 1s and back him in like zaka? I have no idea

Jobe is a deadset turnover merchant now. It’s hard to watch. Some of his hands in close were good but the rest of his game hurt us. Hope he has a good few games left in him but I suspect they will be numbered

Thank fk for Hurley

Last night can be rectified and pretty easily imo. Still think we can be around the 7th-10th mark and all we did last night was have a off night. look at other sides around our mark. saints, freo, Melbourne. Teams DO have off days, combined with excellent wins and all them other sides are a good example of that. Last night was our turn to have a off night, but I didn’t see anything that was glaringly wrong, we just played dumb turnover footy

17 Likes