RIP David Bowie

Not well known but had heart surgery in 2004 for some reason. Refused tours or live performances (aside from one) from then on and largely disappeared until a couple of years ago. Can’t be certain the heart surgery is the reason for this but perhaps it was a moment where he decided to wind things back.

To be honest I wasn’t a massive fan of his either, but respect the part he played in 70s ans 80s culture.
This is probably my favourite Bowie moment.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

Don’t even know what to write in this thread that people haven’t already covered.
Can’t think of anybody in recent times who has passed that has made such an impact in music.
Legend gets thrown around a bit but he really was.

You remind me of the babe.
What Babe?
The babe of the power.
What power?
Power of Voodoo,
Who do?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the babe.
I SAW MY BABY, CRYING HARD AS BABE COULD CRY!!!

Me and my kids always sing that. Classic.

To be honest I wasn't a massive fan of his either, but respect the part he played in 70s ans 80s culture. This is probably my favourite Bowie moment. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

That is absolutely a winner

To be honest I wasn't a massive fan of his either, but respect the part he played in 70s ans 80s culture. This is probably my favourite Bowie moment. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

That is absolutely a winner

My fave episode in the entire two seasons. Brilliant stuff.
For me though, my favorite Bowie performance was a more serious role, Major Jack Celliers in the WW2 drama, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. A fine movie and a commendable performance as the soldier’s soldier. No other movie l know has come close to portraying the cultural differences between the Japanese and western ideologies during that conflict.

6 hour special on RAGE currently.
Has been fantastic, plenty of interviews that I either haven’t seen for years or have never seen. Really recommend for Bowie fans

Thanks for the heads up. Recording.

Is it cold in space Bowie?
Do you have one jumper
Or many ch ch ch ch changes

I haven’t listened to"Blackstar" yet but I posted “Sue”, which is listed on the cd, in the music thread a while back because it is a co work with the great big band jazz composer Maria Schneider, one of my favourite artists. I note that a number of prominent contemporary jazz musos are listed on the credits of his last album eg Donnie McCaslin, Ben Monder, Mark Guiliana. I gather not all his fans were rapt in the jazz links but for mine Bowie must have had good taste and awareness of contemporary jazz to seek out Schneider.

My mother said to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom,
My mother said to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom…

You never hear any Tin Machine on the wireless.

Young Americans has some crazy lyrics.

I think they did two albums,I’ve got the first and I really like it.apparently I’m the only one though.

I think they did two albums,I’ve got the first and I really like it.apparently I’m the only one though.

I recall Bowie saying at the time that he would only record + perform in Tin machine in future and people need to realise that he’d moved on from the David Bowie persona that had existed previously. Like you say, album sales for Tin Machine changed the way things ultimately worked out.