RIP George Martin The Fifth Beatle

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well he was 90

I am saddened by this, growing up the Beatles were my favourites, I had all the albums and all the singles and I played them all the time. His brilliance is heard in it all.

England's Phil Spectre basically.

Yeah, except he wasn’t a misogynist psycho, and never, you know, murdered anyone …

Yeah righto.

I thought we were talking as a producer.

But whatever.

England's Phil Spectre basically.

Yeah, except he wasn’t a misogynist psycho, and never, you know, murdered anyone …

England’s Phil Spectre basically.

The Beatles were a farking awesome band.

His influence, nor that of many of the EMI engineers is not the least bit overstated. In a strange way the Beatles were very lucky that Decca didn’t sign them. Will write more when I’m not on the phone.

RIP Sir George.

Can't say I'm a Beatles fan but lots of artists I admire loved them, including Brad Mehldau and Nina Simone, and they have better taste than me. Can someone here explain why Martin is often seen as the fifth Beatle. I have read that Martin changed the Beatles sound and approach. Could someone identify a piece where this is apparent and why it is the case. I know Lennon resented his perceived status and some have seen him as part of the McCartney camp. Is that fair or was he the key to their continued popularity?

I think Lennon would concede the influence Martin had on his Strawberry Fields and Being For the Benefit.
Deserves a writers credit on those two, imo.

He also contributed some instrumentation to songs, such as the piano solo in the bridge part of ‘In my life’ (probably my favorite beatles tune). He recorded it at half the speed so it could be sped up to be in tempo, also makes it sound kinda like a harpsichord. A neat trick that again has been copied many times over. Though classically trained, he was an innovator, instrumental (excuse the pun) to the beatles sound.

Can't say I'm a Beatles fan but lots of artists I admire loved them, including Brad Mehldau and Nina Simone, and they have better taste than me. Can someone here explain why Martin is often seen as the fifth Beatle. I have read that Martin changed the Beatles sound and approach. Could someone identify a piece where this is apparent and why it is the case. I know Lennon resented his perceived status and some have seen him as part of the McCartney camp. Is that fair or was he the key to their continued popularity?

Martin is largely and correctly credited with inventing the unique soundscapes that featured throughout Sgt. Pepper’s considered the jewel in the crown of all Beatles recordings. Every song on it is crafted beautifully, and the production is flawless. to this day it remains at very top of the rock/pop high water marks. l haven’ listened to it for years, but when l do l always marvel at the production. At the time it was released it was played everywhere, day and night, for years. That is why l can’t listen to it anymore. Like Hotel California it was flogged too often, and l reached Sgt. Pepper’s saturation point about a year after it came out. The album itself took modern music to places it had never been before and made people who had never listened to the genre, or take it seriously previous to this, sat and took note. This wasn’t some little 3 chord riff, this was ground breaking and innovative. George Martin did all that, is a genius and Sgt. Pepper’s is his masterpiece.

I just want to know why some deaths are ‘news’ and others are ‘pool’.

He does seem to have a fascination with this subject.

I have a fascination with music from the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s. So when an artist from that era dies I tend to see it and comment.

Well bugger me. You’re older than Noonan? All this time I figured you as a slightly nervous mid-30’s type. See, you never can tell.

Haha, no, I am not 30’s but I am also not from that era, I just like it. I grew up listening to a lot of it and loved it (my older siblings played it all and had it all, I used to steal their vinyls and my parents had a very expensive sound system - which annoyed the neighbours) however the music from my era is the beginning of rap through the brilliant Triple J of the early to mid-80’s. I was also surrounded by New Wave.

Their first hit was Please Please Me. Lennon wrote it to attempt to copy Roy Orbison while at his Auntie’s house. It was a slow and simple ballad but was rather limp. George heard it and was the only one to consider changing the tempo and adding some further depth to it. It was transformational to both John and Paul and defined what their sound would be moving forward, the same thing happened with the song help.

George also added string to a lot of their later songs as well as other sounds which transformed the sound of that generation and ushered in a lot of the more experimental music. Many artists have stated that as the Beatles did it then they thought they could too. Most artists of the time have stated that they listened to the Beatles to see what new techniques they had come up with in the studio so they could try it as well.

George’s work in the booth was very different in those days such as mixing different takes of the same song to produce overlaid sound, recording at half speed then playing back at full speed thereby changing the sound, experimenting with tape loops, using double-tracking or the reversing of sounds. A lot of these were new for the days and changed how most studios of the day operated and created some brilliant experimental music.

I think his influence has been grossly overstated. Some of the most overblown, pretentious stuff they pumped out was when Martin was most involved. Strip back the saccharine over-production of those years and their song craft is more evident.

Can’t say I’m a Beatles fan but lots of artists I admire loved them, including Brad Mehldau and Nina Simone, and they have better taste than me. Can someone here explain why Martin is often seen as the fifth Beatle. I have read that Martin changed the Beatles sound and approach. Could someone identify a piece where this is apparent and why it is the case. I know Lennon resented his perceived status and some have seen him as part of the McCartney camp. Is that fair or was he the key to their continued popularity?

He does seem to have a fascination with this subject.

I have a fascination with music from the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s. So when an artist from that era dies I tend to see it and comment.

Well bugger me. You’re older than Noonan? All this time I figured you as a slightly nervous mid-30’s type. See, you never can tell.
So did someone die...or is this the five minute argument room?

All Things Must Pass

So did someone die…or is this the five minute argument room?

Thread is going all Helter Skelter.

I thought Apu was the fifth Beatle.

Only the classic old-person life forces can sustain you. Who wants a bit of Bieber in them?*

• I’m pretty sure Noonan isn’t a pre-teen girl.