RIP Joe Cocker

You are/were so beautiful to me.

RIP Joe, your music helped define a generation

“Leave your hat on” is seared into my memory as one of my most awkward childhood memories as it was played in the car on road trips.

Yeah Leon Russell. I was 19 and my Mum still didn’t approve miss ellie !

Think I will but some Cocker music today, have my old LPs but no turntable anymore !

1970 The Letter

youtu.be/4RnjWLVyMps

Thats no good.

I liked his version of The Letter.

RIP Joe Cocker

Your songs live on.

Joe Cocker wow, remember the 1972 tour in Melbourne. Think it was at Kooyong, with the dude with the tophat and long hair. Great concert, great performer.

RIP Joe. That voice has given me a lot of pleasure over the years.

Bacchus, the dude’s name, Leon Russell, think they did Mad Dogs and Englishmen together.

I don’t know where the concert was I do remember my mother said I couldn’t go :(( , don’t blame her now, as I was 10 but thought/wanted to be 20. ;:wink:

A reply to: @Diggers regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink
"Leave your hat on" is seared into my memory as one of my most awkward childhood memories as it was played in the car on road trips.

Was that the song from 91/2 Weeks?

Yes

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

"Leave your hat on" is seared into my memory as one of my most awkward childhood memories as it was played in the car on road trips.

Was that the song from 91/2 Weeks?

What a Barry Crocker.

(no, wait…)

Always thought Don’t You Love Me Anymore was decent.
Up Where We Belong is pretty epic too, but it’s so linked to that terrible movie.

Not sure I’d call him a great ‘singer’.

Forever linked with the GST.

RIP Joe.

Great guy who performs and sings. First exposed to him watching ‘The Wonder Years’

Quoted Post

Always thought Don't You Love Me Anymore was decent. Up Where We Belong is pretty epic too, but it's so linked to that terrible movie.

Not a great singer? Bite your bum. One of the greats. It isn’t often a cover version eclipses the original for depth, think Hendrix and All Along The Watchtower. Cocker’s version of With a Little Help From My Friends, not only topped the Beatles, but took a song from their best album and reworked it into an all time classic. As a result he will forever be associated with that song, and it remains one of the greatest covers, ever. His performance of the number at Woodstock with the Grease Band only confirmed that. The Letter was another great cover version he did, but l prefer the old Traffic number Feelin’ Alright, instead. Cocker had a voice that was at times a bit on the raw side, but it never did anything less than drip with emotion. At times you could close your eyes and and swear that it was Ray Charles you were listening to, his greatest influence. You are right about Up Where We Belong, one of the greatest duets in all of rock, too bad there haven’t been more of them. IIRC he got charged with drug possession in Oz on one of his early tours, which prevented him from returning for a number of years.

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink

Always thought Don't You Love Me Anymore was decent. Up Where We Belong is pretty epic too, but it's so linked to that terrible movie.

Technically not a great singer. But Joe

A reply to: @Captain Jack regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

Not a great singer? Bite your bum. One of the greats. It isn’t often a cover version eclipses the original for depth, think Hendrix and All Along The Watchtower. Cocker’s version of With a Little Help From My Friends, not only topped the Beatles, but took a song from their best album and reworked it into an all time classic. As a result he will forever be associated with that song, and it remains one of the greatest covers, ever. His performance of the number at Woodstock with the Grease Band only confirmed that. The Letter was another great cover version he did, but l prefer the old Traffic number Feelin’ Alright, instead. Cocker had a voice that was at times a bit on the raw side, but it never did anything less than drip with emotion. At times you could close your eyes and and swear that it was Ray Charles you were listening to, his greatest influence. You are right about Up Where We Belong, one of the greatest duets in all of rock, too bad there haven’t been more of them. IIRC he got charged with drug possession in Oz on one of his early tours, which prevented him from returning for a number of years.

I’m with Jack. One of the all time great voices. Not a nice, trained voice, but one that just dripped with soul. Voices like Joe’s don’t come around every day.

Wim
You need to listen to Sheffield Steel - then you will know that he was a great singer!

A reply to: @Double RR regarding QuoteLink

Wim
You need to listen to Sheffield Steel - then you will know that he was a great singer!

You’re right. I do.
Not backing down though, unless someone can convince me that kind of hitting the notes on You Are So Beautiful is the same thing as hitting them.
There’s beauty in imperfection sometimes, I’m not denying that.