RIP nickyd

So sorry for the loss of your good friend Boot. Very sad news. DT.

Those pictures put such a sad realism to it all on an Internet forum where we’re all so familiar in a way but so distant. He was a soldier. I didn’t know that. I was too. The rest just makes me really sad. I’m also a father. I won’t go into much more except that if there’s some way, at some point, if they want to we should do something for his family. This thing called Bomberblitz is capable of nearly anything (yeah, laughs). Maybe when the time is right we can do something.

Today I attended the inaugural Van Diemens Dons Launch lunch in Hobart.

It was a great event and a handful of Blitzers were in attendance.

It was however sad that Nick wasn’t there - being part of the group was something that he had been looking forward to.

It was nice to hear that the Coterie’s committee has seen fit to award life membership to Nick’s family. Whilst, such a gesture may not be forefront of Nicks family’s mind at the moment, this is hopefully something they will appreciate in future years.

It was also heartening to know what a “family” the EFC is. Xavier Campbell, in his address to the group today, made mention that Nick’s story has been mentioned at EFC Board level. Xavier noted that being a big club with a lot of members, the Club is aware of many sad stories involving members. The Club saw Nick’s circumstances as particularly sad and hope that in some way that they can help to ensure that Nick’s children Charlotte and Henry remain in the “Bomber family”.

In addition to the two number 3 jumpers that the Club sent down to the children last week, Xavier arrived in Hobart laden with more gifts - hats, balls and Skeeta Club toys.

Thanks to Katie Lio, Xavier and the Club for making this happen.

Perhaps Blitz could organise a yearly sponsorship for Charlotte & Henry’s education similar to the way players are sponsored?

The kids proudly modelling their new bomber gear.

Charlotte looking very pleased.

Charlotte and Henry

Charlotte and Henry proudly display their number 3’s. Dad’s favourite player. He would be very proud,

those skeeta beanies are snazzy as

I just received this email from Nick’s wife, and a request that I post it here.

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone at Bomberblitz for your kind words during Nick’s illness and since his passing, and also for the extremely generous donations to the go fund me page.

Nick and I have always been quite private people who kept to our own small group of family and friends so we never expected to have so many people support us during this incredibly difficult time. We were both completely blown away by this.

Nick has always loved the Essendon Football Club and enjoyed talking with people who shared this passion. Football was always an escape for him, especially since his father passed away last year. I have always been a Carlton supporter along with the rest of my family, however, a few days before Nick passed I told him I would switch teams for him. This made him extremely happy of course, especially knowing the children had been given memberships.

Neil visited us today to drop off the signed guernseys for the kids along with a heap of other bombers gear which they loved. I have to say that Neil has been an amazing support for Nick throughout this year, and also to myself, organising meals for us (cooked by his lovely partner) regularly visiting Nick in hospital and helping with transport. So a huge thank you to you Neil, I really appreciate everything you have done for us and I know Nick did too.

Through Bomber blitz, the go fund me page, and emails from the people Nick has helped as a Union organiser, he was able to see how many people cared for and respected him, and how he has changed people’s lives. Not many people get the opportunity to see how much they really mean to the people around them. I am so grateful that he was able to see this before he passed and that has been a great source of comfort for me.

I have been told Bomberblitz is like a family. So from my family to yours, I sincerely thank you all.

Laura Duncombe

Ok so that email and those photos completely brought me to tears. But who the hell is this “Neil” and his “lovely partner” and why didn’t Boot and Darli get round and visit occasionally?

Ok so that email and those photos completely brought me to tears. But who the hell is this "Neil" and his "lovely partner" and why didn't Boot and Darli get round and visit occasionally?

I was actually going to ask that as a serious question (re: neil). Now I don’t have to.

Labour voter
Married a carlton supporter
Tasmanian

Wish I could slap him right now :’(

Still so sad :’( :’( :’( :’(

Ok so that email and those photos completely brought me to tears. But who the hell is this "Neil" and his "lovely partner" and why didn't Boot and Darli get round and visit occasionally?

I was actually going to ask that as a serious question (re: neil). Now I don’t have to.

I confess, 'tis my alias outside Blitz

Thanks for posting the email, Reboot. Charlotte and Henry are so little still and I imagine Laura will have her hands full. It’s good to know they have people close by for hands on support. Although I have never met them, I wish them all the best getting through the next stage of their lives.

Condolences to nicks family & friends absolute tragic news and wish nothing like this upon anyone. Taken too young, R.I.P

Labor voter Married a carlton Essendon (now) supporter Tasmanian

Still so sad :’( :’( :’( :’(

fixed

I’m not much with words so I’ll keep this short. After some discussion we’ve renamed the News Room category in memory of @nickyd. Nick was a regular on Blitz, and in this category as much as any. Just Blitz’ small way of paying respect and keeping a former member in mind. RIP.

Nice touch.

a great idea.

I'm not much with words so I'll keep this short. After some discussion we've renamed the News Room category in memory of @nickyd. Nick was a regular on Blitz, and in this category as much as any. Just Blitz' small way of paying respect and keeping a former member in mind. RIP.
You're not bad with words.
I'm not much with words so I'll keep this short. After some discussion we've renamed the News Room category in memory of @nickyd. Nick was a regular on Blitz, and in this category as much as any. Just Blitz' small way of paying respect and keeping a former member in mind. RIP.

Says the guy who runs two podcasts.

Nice gesture by the way.

I had missed this.

Very sad. Fate can be very unfair.