RIP nickyd

I'm not much with words so I'll keep this short. After some discussion we've renamed the News Room category in memory of @nickyd. Nick was a regular on Blitz, and in this category as much as any. Just Blitz' small way of paying respect and keeping a former member in mind. RIP.
Says the guy who runs two podcasts.
But the segment is pointedly not called "words that sound better spoken by Riolio".

Itā€™s a lovely thing you have done.

As was that other thing you did.

Seeing Nickydā€™s kids, their smiles, and reading Mrs. Dā€™s emails got me choked up. Trying desperately to hide behind my monitor here. I hope Blitz survives (oh, who am I kidding, this family ainā€™t going nowhere) till Charlotte and Henry are old enough to log on. They will see how much their dad was loved even by folks he never met in person. 'Tis a special man indeed that can convert a Blues supporter. RIP.

Arrg took a month off Blitz and come back and see all this has unfolded.

Fark

RIP Nickyd.

Boot - youā€™ve done a fine thing here sir.

ā– ā– ā– ā– . Iā€™ve just seen this. Nick was a good bloke. Too ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  young! Heā€™ll be missed.

How very sad. RIP.

I do not post often but this is very sad, I feel especially sad for Nickā€™s children. His family and friends can keep his memory alive in them. I had a great loss this year and I wanted to share my story here on Blitz, and although I wrote a post many times in my head I could never put the words down. For many, Blitz is a place full of friends with known names yet unknown faces, it provides comfort and sometimes sadness. RIP Nick you are a great loss to many people.

Geez RIP, sad news

I do not post often but this is very sad, I feel especially sad for Nick's children. His family and friends can keep his memory alive in them. I had a great loss this year and I wanted to share my story here on Blitz, and although I wrote a post many times in my head I could never put the words down. For many, Blitz is a place full of friends with known names yet unknown faces, it provides comfort and sometimes sadness. RIP Nick you are a great loss to many people.

I read Nickā€™s thread on the loss of his dad only about a year ago, that was very touching and was a testimony to the depth and sensitivity of Nick.

I hope you are going OK as well Cubbie, and sorry for your loss too.

RIP nickyd,
I never knew you Nick. Never had the pleasure of making your acquaintance, and now, never will. Reboot knew you, and l recall vaguely the passion of your posts in a few threads, most notably about politics, even though l donā€™t follow it closely. Not given to many one liners, nickyd was articulate and I admired also his astute views on matters related to the team.
When l first heard of his plight, my pulse jumped. We live in hope, but where cancer is involved, we also live in the shadow of fear. Life goes on, even as nickyd clung courageously against the odds. People move on, we all do, but l paused every now and then to think of nickyd and what it means to his family to lose someone under such circumstances. Sad to say, my imagination isnā€™t that good, l am not that capable.
While l have been in transit from China to Sumatra l have not had steady access to Bomberblitz, and had avoided this thread. I knew l would return to it at one stage, and face the inevitable truth that nickyd was no longer among us. As a mark of honour, to commemorate his passing, l have read every post in this fine thread. His passing has touched many of us, as did the passing of his father last year, which nicky told us of. Death touches us all, there is no hiding from it. The messages of support and response from the club have been fantastic. l love the pictures, they put faces to the names, which helps to keep memories secure, makes it easier to carry them in our hearts and remember people for who they were and what they stood for. The message from his wife, Laura also touched me. She is left to carry on without, to pick up the pieces of a life started with a partner, now their life journey has been cut short. Kudos to Darcy Parish and Katie Leo for donating the jumpers to kids still too young to fully grasp the fact that their daddy isnā€™t coming back. Good work also by the club to honour his passing in the manner they have. Sheedy always said there was more to life than football, he is right of course. Yet it is this game, and this club that keeps us coming back here, year after year, it is what makes Blitz what it is, and what it is, is great.
Although l never knew you, rest in peace nickyd, your struggle is over, your pain is gone.

Tragic news.

RIP Nickyd :frowning:

I have only just caught up with this news. Terribly sorry for the loss of your great friend, 'boot, but also for the loss suffered by Nickā€™s family. That email from Laura was beautiful and quite moving. Her mention that we never really get to see just how much people actually care for us resonated the most, but I am very glad to know that Nick was able to see the love for him and his family before his passing.

If you are reading this, Laura, I would like to add my own condolences. All the best to you and your beautiful children.

How did everything go on the weekend - I remember something about Ess and the Dogs having the kids in the rooms for this game?

RIP nickyd, I never knew you Nick. Never had the pleasure of making your acquaintance, and now, never will. Reboot knew you, and l recall vaguely the passion of your posts in a few threads, most notably about politics, even though l donā€™t follow it closely. Not given to many one liners, nickyd was articulate and I admired also his astute views on matters related to the team. When l first heard of his plight, my pulse jumped. We live in hope, but where cancer is involved, we also live in the shadow of fear. Life goes on, even as nickyd clung courageously against the odds. People move on, we all do, but l paused every now and then to think of nickyd and what it means to his family to lose someone under such circumstances. Sad to say, my imagination isnā€™t that good, l am not that capable. While l have been in transit from China to Sumatra l have not had steady access to Bomberblitz, and had avoided this thread. I knew l would return to it at one stage, and face the inevitable truth that nickyd was no longer among us. As a mark of honour, to commemorate his passing, l have read every post in this fine thread. His passing has touched many of us, as did the passing of his father last year, which nicky told us of. Death touches us all, there is no hiding from it. The messages of support and response from the club have been fantastic. l love the pictures, they put faces to the names, which helps to keep memories secure, makes it easier to carry them in our hearts and remember people for who they were and what they stood for. The message from his wife, Laura also touched me. She is left to carry on without, to pick up the pieces of a life started with a partner, now their life journey has been cut short. Kudos to Darcy Parish and Katie Leo for donating the jumpers to kids still too young to fully grasp the fact that their daddy isnā€™t coming back. Good work also by the club to honour his passing in the manner they have. Sheedy always said there was more to life than football, he is right of course. Yet it is this game, and this club that keeps us coming back here, year after year, it is what makes Blitz what it is, and what it is, is great. Although l never knew you, rest in peace nickyd, your struggle is over, your pain is gone.
I think you just summed up the feelings of a lot of us out here. Beautifully and respectfully put.

I rarely venture outside the hangar or trading thread (at this time of year anyway) but I thought Iā€™d head over to the saga thread to see if any of our legal minds had a read on the appeal when I mistakenly scrolled too far and saw this thread title.

Iā€™ve read this thread from start to finish & shed many tears. Itā€™s fkg heartbreaking. To see Nickā€™s beautiful young family and know heā€™s been taken from them is so terribly tragic. Obviously Nick & I were at similar stages of life. I have a wife & two young children aged 3 & 1, who look awfully similar in age to Nickā€™s two. I cannot imagine not being with my kids every day.

I have no words, just shattered. RIP nickyd.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to have been away from these boards for so long to return and see a thread like this need to be made. Horrible horrible thing is cancer, I mean this is a ramble because obviously being away from here and living overseas Iā€™ve not had the interactions with Nick as I could have had, which is a massive shame in itself, Iā€™m sure heā€™d have been amazing to have known.

So, for everyone whoā€™s life he touched in some way, and to his nearest and dearest especially, a lot of thoughts and well-wishes your way from 10,000 miles away.

RIP nickyd

1 Like

@reboot how is the family holding up?

@reboot how is the family holding up?

Yeah, was just thinking of Nick and was wondering how the family is coping?

They are doing ok. I had coffee with Laura and the kids a couple of weeks back.

And Laura texted me about a week ago to see if Darli and I would like to go to a memorial bbq the union are holding to commemorate the first anniversary of Nickā€™s passing. It was quite humbling ; she wants us to go as members of her family group.

17 Likes