RIP Stargazer

Rest in peace. Was very shocked when I heard the news.

Great member of this forum and will be sorely missed.

RIP Starry. Loved your work.

really sad to hear that

RIP to an EFC family member.  Condolences to her family and friends.

That is such sad news. I was in Hawaii last week and couldnt log on to post a reply, but I shed more than a few tears for Starry.

I dont regularly post anymore but I remember her from back when our biggest drama was trying to keep Misiti due to salary cap pressures.

I always remember her informed and passionate posts, she really loved the club, and im sure she would have been heartbroken to see whats developed this year.

Starry, I may not know you, I didnt always agree with your posts.

I hope you're feeling better now and looking down on your family, sending them all the comfort that they need.

Please also send good vibes to the club, that a good resolution may be found.. speak to the big fella upstairs and tell him we need his help! :)

God bless and rest in peace xoxoxoxoxo

The scarf I bought to go on Mary's coffin went to the game tonight :)

That is simply wonderful.

The scarf I bought to go on Mary's coffin went to the game tonight :)

That is simply wonderful.

She would have loved that win. 

Ah, rats. Terrible news and my condolences to her family and friends. 

Rest in peace.

Very Sad. Loved what you had to say on BB. 

RIP Starry.  You had a keen insight into all things football.

Many thanks for the messages left in this thread.  I read some of them out at Mary's funeral this morning.  It was a lovely service, and a fitting way to bid her farewell.

Thanks also to those who sent flowers, they were beautiful :)

it's with great sadness that I write this post.  Mary (better known to us as Stargazer or "Starry") passed away last week.

I have many fond memories of Mary. On our first meeting, at a game at the G, the first thing she did was apologise for having called me "Koala Man" on Blitz!  Turns out she wasn't alone in thinking I was male :P

Mary had a great passion for Essendon and I was amazed at her knowledge and recall of information.  She used to talk about how as a little kid she had bad asthma, and her father would sit up with her during the night, and instead of reading her books he'd tell her Essendon stories! She met up with my Dad and I for lunch one time, and I just sat back and listened to the two of them chatting away, including discussing the line ups for the 62 and 65 Grand Final sides!

Donna, Mary and I had a terrific trip to Sydney one year; we lost the game, but made our way back to the pub we were staying at (the infamous Strand Hotel for others who have been on these trips!), and proceeded to have a few drinkies til the wee small hours of the morning.  Had some random Blitzers join us along the way - they'd read on Blitz where we were going to be and decided to drop in!

Mary was also the reason for me becoming a Melbourne Victory member.  I'd mentioned to Mary how much I disliked not being able to get a sports fix in the off season, and she suggested I come along with her to see "this new Melbourne team".  Eight years later I'm still heading along.

Mary was not one to hold back on her opinion, and I admired the forthright way she would enter into a robust discussion with people.  She joined me when I interviewed Simon Madden for Blitz, and she and Simon chatted away for ages after we'd finished - she had a way of being able to draw people out, and an infectious laugh!

She was a very special lady and will be sadly missed by many.  My heartfelt condolences to her family.

Mary's funeral will be next Wednesday morning at Tobin Brothers Chapel at 1382 High Street, Malvern (corner of Jordan Street).

:(

I got locked out of BB somehow when the site changed and I finally log back in and see this.

Starry was always very decent and honest. She had great insight. I liked her a lot and had always meant to meet her but never did. 

I don't even know if our PM's survived onto the new site.

She would always make me laugh when she called someone out. I had this mental image of her as this really tough lady who could cut someone up if they were talking bulls***.

You can not replace someone like that.

I don't have the words to do her justice.

Goodbye Starry

xo

Cahniging the name of this board to commemorate her is a great idea. Kudos to whoever thought of it, a wonderful way to keep her legacy alive. 

This is just a short post to express my appreciation and that of Mary‘s family and friends outside Blitz for the wonderful personal tributes paid to her in this thread.  
We said goodbye to Starry yesterday. The funeral service, a civil one, was very moving and managed to capture a good impression of who Mary was. This was helped greatly by the spoken contributions made by Carla, Rob Parry, Peter and Donna. The flowers sent from Blitz were much appreciated, too.
And now I‘ve just learnt that the History Board has been renamed in her honour !! I understand that the original idea was Reboot‘s; no sooner was it suggested than it was implemented by Riolio. I‘m overwhelmed.
Thank you, fellas. Thanks to all of you.

2 Likes

Perce, it was an honour. A true honour.

1 Like

Nice touch guys. Really nice. 

1 Like

Well played Reboot and Riolio. 

Well deserved honour to someone who represented what this Board, in particular, was about.

Passionate support of this club over many years.

1 Like

Well played Reboot and Riolio. 

Well deserved honour to someone who represented what this Board, in particular, was about.

Passionate support of this club over many years.

It's a wonderful way to recognise her contributions.  

1 Like

Boot/Koala’s idea. Well done all round.

1 Like