RIP Subiaco Oval

My uncle Les played a handful of games at CHF for Subiaco in the late 70’s. Kidney got stamped on, ■■■■■■■ blood for quite while. Never played again. Is now a Real Estate agent based out of Trigg.

Did we play at the WACA?

What was the deal with the WACA and Subiaco in the 90’s, was it a similar set up to the arrangement we have with the G and Etihad?

Beat the Eagles by about 4 goals at the WACA '87 or 88. One of the few games Daryl Cunningham played for us.

1 Like

Can recall a lot night games at the waca but not subi. Subi not have lights at time?

1 Like

That is my understanding. Subi couldn’t get the funding or approval for lights and the WACA had them so games were played there.
The fans hated the WACA and it was/is a poor stadium and the clubs hated it due to the WACA members taking up all the best seats and leaving bugger all seats for their club members.

Yeah can definitely remember the night games at the WACA growing up, never clicked to me Subi didnt have lights back then.

I’ve had many great memories (and not so great following Essendon there) of Subi.

My most favourite memory was, as Diggers mentioned before, was those SOG games on a Tuesday afternoon wagging school to be there in '83, '84 and '86. These games are a part of Western Australian footba…actually, just WA folklore.

Other great memories were of attending my first ever WAFL GF in driving rain but a classic game in 1985 between the eventual Premiers East Fremantle and Subiaco.

Watching West Perth break an 18 year Grand Final drought in 1993 against Claremont and then breaking their 20 year premiership drought in 1995 against Subiaco after one of the most explosive starts to a GF in living memory…Go The Cardies!

The 1996 thriller between Claremont and East Perth with both Chris Lewis and Don Pyke starring for the Tigers, 1997 with a Dean Rioli led final qtr comeback for South Fremantle over East Fremantle and the 1992 qtr time punch on in the Freo Derby GF between South coach Mal Brown and East’s Damien Condon as the teams were heading to their huddles, were also notable matches for me.

1999 when a raging hot favourite in South Freo succumbed to the Mighty Cardies.

As mentioned before, not a happy hunting ground for the Bombers but did get to see us flog the Eagles by 15 goals in 2001 there.

Getting into the Bomber rooms in 1987 after a pre-season scratch match and after a late season narrow loss in 1996 after waiting outside the rooms and hearing Sheeds absolutely tearing shreds off the team for dropping a game after being in a position to win it.

Being there when Hirdy suffered that horrific facial injury in 2002 against the Dockers and then returning in 2003 and smashing the same side in their first ever finals appearance with Hirdy starring.

Was there also in 2004 when Fletch had his two front teeth knocked out with the trainers finding them somehow out on the ground.

Probably the greatest match that I ever witnessed there was the 1992 Qualifying Final between the Eagles and Hawthorn. Such a pulsating match with three of the most freakish goals I’ve ever seen, all scored in the second qtr, two by Peter Sumich and the other by Karl Langdon.

The 1986 post season battle of the premiers match between Subiaco and Hawthorn was a ripper of a game too with the Hawks just getting over the line by 3 points.

And one final personal favourite memory of mine was to play on the hallowed turf in a school comp as a curtain raiser to an Eagles v Carlton game in 1988.

Also some of those Perth Glory Grand Finals in the old NSL days and a 5-0 Prelim Final victory there were pretty special too.

The Australian Made concert in February 1987 is etched into my mind as well. The most memorable concert experience that I’ve ever been to.

Subi Oval has always held a special place in my heart and after a visit back there in 2007 to see us get destroyed by six goals from the Pav and later on in Ben Cousins’ return to Subi as a Tiger, I understood why that it needed to shut down.

The place had become relatively dilapidated in some parts and there was no space for it to expand.

Sad to see it go but at the same time Perth has been screaming out for a new stadium for over a decade now so happy to see W(ait) A(while) finally get one.

Here’s hoping to seeing the Dons having a bit more success at the new stadium than we had at Subi.

8 Likes

That Friday night win against the Dockers by less than a kick about five years ago was class. Freo player shanked a gettable shot quite late. I had a work do at a pub and discovered I had a few Bomber colleagues as the game started, we were going nuts in front of the projected screen. Free booze on the company card too.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping we finally get allocated more than a measly 2000 odd tickets for visiting teams members at the new stadium. Worst farking stadium in the country to try to get a ticket at if you aren’t an Eagles or Dockers member. Remember going there back in 1995 and being accompanied by my mother who had flown over to visit. Standing down the city end before they constructed the new grandstand and remember some old local dear mouthing off every time an Essendon player did something. After Essendon kicked a goal said dear old thing, upon hearing my mother and myself cheering, turned around and screamed at us to “■■■■ off back to Victoria why don’t you you Victorian ■■■■■”. Surprisingly, for some unknown reason I deemed said comment to be rather offensive and decided to let rip myself. My precise response was something along the lines of " Go shove your head up your ■■■■ you stupid old ■■■■, I have been following my team for longer than yours has existed, and for your information you senile old ■■■■■, my mother who you just insulted was born in Kalgoorlie, meaning she is every bit as West Australian as you. So ■■■■ off before I snot you one." To cap it off we beat the ■■■■■■■ and I gave her a very cheerful send off.
Fair to say that I have hated West Coast supporters with an unbridled passion ever since. A bunch of champagne sipping, bandwagon following wankers who have never been able to separate a club competition from a national inferiority complex.

16 Likes

MESSAGES ON HOLD

7 Likes

Was it subi that used to have the KFC behind the goals?

2 Likes

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

1 Like

All I remember is that the ONE time in 23 years of tipping* I tipped against the Bombers (in 1995) they beat WC over there. Lesson learnt.

• As you can imagine I have not won a tipping comp in the last 13 years

SGIO Go Eagles Go
SGIO Go Eagles Go

1 Like

Lol, I do vaguely remember seeing that on TV

It was one. Listened to the game on the radio back in the days where they’d do a highlights package instead of a full replay later in the day.

The highlights package did not include our fourth goal.

Looked it up on AFL tables last night.

It’s worse than originally thought.

We kicked the first 2 of the game then kicked our 3rd in the last.

Berbakov, Lloyd and Alessio with the goal.

Good riddance

The win we had over there in 2013 against Freo is one of my favourite Essendon wins ever.

4 Likes

The win 1995 on a Sunday afternoon was pretty damn good too. From memory alessio kicked the sealer

1 Like