Rnd 4 Non-Essington Games

Disagree.

4 Likes

{closes curtains}

1 Like

First weekend for ages that Iā€™ve watched multiple games and the standard is absolute garbage. There Is about 4 teams too many in the comp and the talent is too thinly spread. The bottom 6-8 players in most sides are VFL standard at best. So many players that have got to this level and canā€™t kick to save themselves

3 Likes

Why should I trust the opinion of someone that rarely watches multiple games on a weekend?

2 Likes

Had a siesta and missed the carlton result but caught the last 5 mins of the Saints win. Would just like to get this out of my system - Hawks and Fark Carlton go eat a massive bag of dicks!

2 Likes

Just catching up on the fantastic fark carlton news.

You can take fark carlton out of the tank, but you canā€™t take the tank out of fark carlton.

I normally only watch a quarter or two but was home crook on the couch so got to see a few games in full and it was pretty damn average. Skill levels are disgraceful. Case in point being that Dow bloke from FCFC who was a top 3 pick and kicks like a B grade country footballer.

1 Like

Letā€™s take a moment to reflect that 2 weeks ago, Carlton Supporters were sticking the boots in and bagging the sh*t out of us.

1 Like

And Woosha was a bum coach for losing to the Saints and we should throw money at a Clarkson disciple.

You donā€™t think the Hawks losing 2 players before half time and another later on had any affect?
I was fully expecting the Saints to run all over them at the end.

1 Like

yep, to use an ian chappell quote about bowling and the lack of skill of players coming through a few years ago.
it was along the lines of, if i put a cone in any put of the pitch and said to a bowler hit it and iā€™ll give you a million dollars, how would you go about hitting that cone ?
it was to point out so many bowlers didnā€™t seem to have a spot or target they were aiming for when coming into bowl, and they just come in and let it go and hope.

There are so many players in todays footy that just kick the ball without any real thought to it. they donā€™t kick it to advantage, they donā€™t kick it to space and demand that a player whoā€™s not working hard enough get to the spot, they panic and just bomb it long cough myers cough and 50/50 zaka cough.
missing players by 10 to 20 meters when they have 10 or so meters space and no one around them.

it really has become aerial ping pong and so many players just kicking and hoping it goes to where they want it.

A very interesting start to the season, and after four games in, I feel optimistic that we will perform well this year. And that we will be even better next year.

How is that even a fair comparison?

Bowling has not changed in 100 years.

Football has increased in speed and pressure every decade for the last 100 years.

2 Likes

Chappelliā€™s a bitter old bugger who hates everyone whoā€™s ever fought with either him or his brother.
Ie everyone in cricket.

He hated Bradmanā€¦and Iā€™m not too sure heā€™s a great fan of Greg either.

But WTF did that have to do with the original comment?

1 Like

the point was, which you seemd to missed, players in both sports go through the motions of an action without any clear thought or intent to what they are trying to achieve from it.

even from free kicks, stoppages and the like you see players constantly kicking it to the opposition advantage moreso than their own team.

I get your point but in the AFL you have coaches and players trying to stop you from doing what you want too.

Most old commentators always say that the skill level of todayā€™s players is far better than it was 20 or 30 years ago and thatā€™s despite the fact that they have far less time to make decisions.

The skill level of players is fine, itā€™s just the game is being over coached.

1 Like

Itā€™s the poor techniques that bother me. It seems recruiters are more focused on athletes than pure footballers now. Iā€™m staggered beyond belief how some of these blokes get past junior level at their local clubs let alone into the AFL system with the kicking techniques they have. If a player under my watch disposed of the ball like Dow did at country level they would find themselves playing reserves all year, his skills are appalling for a hack country player let alone a top 3 pick

What does Chappelli have to do with footy?

Heā€™s one of those grumpy old farts who you can always rely on for a potshot.

That may be so but thatā€™s just one or two individuals.

I watch VFL every weekend and the skill level of players on most weekends appears to be just as good as AFL and thatā€™s taking into consideration they are playing in worse conditions.

But you take the most skilful players from VFL and then throw them into the heat of an AFL game and then you watch their skill level drop.

These guys are kicking under extreme pressure and delivering to players that are surrounded by half a dozen opposition players.

Unlike a basketball court or s soccer field you canā€™t stretch an AFL field and it just becomes one big scrum.

2 Likes