Robbo vs Demetriou ding ! ding !

A SIMMERING feud is continuing between the AFL and Australia's largest-selling daily newspaper over the recording of an abusive tirade by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou towards the Melbourne Herald Sun's chief football writer Mark Robinson.

The matter has become so acrimonious that an inquiry has been undertaken by Adrian Anderson, a former AFL head of football operations and one-time legal counsel to Herald Sun parent company the Herald & Weekly Times, to determine who, if anyone, heard the expletive-laden recording.

Demetriou has accused Robinson of playing the recorded telephone conversation to prominent Melbourne sporting and media figures. The Weekend Australian understands Anderson has so far not found anyone who has heard the tape.

Robinson recorded the conversation on July 24 after Demetriou became abusive and allegedly threatened to "smash" him.

Anderson's investigation has been dubbed by one senior Herald Sun source as "the biggest wild-goose chase in AFL history". The source says says it has left Robinson "appallingly maligned".

Demetriou has declined to answer questions about the tape, its contents and the investigation. Robinson similarly would not comment.

The conversation centred on questions Robinson, an award-winning football journalist, put to Demetriou about the Essendon doping scandal that has plagued the AFL this year.

The report, published on July 25, claimed that investigators from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority were told of a phone call from Demetriou to former Essendon president David Evans the night before the club "self-reported" for the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Robinson wrote: "Differing accounts of the call from Demetriou to Evans on Monday, February 4, have been detailed to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority. Demetriou has vehemently denied any wrongdoing."

The Weekend Australian understands Robinson and Demetriou have barely spoken since the incident and Demetriou has refused to accept assurances from News Corp Australia's Victorian managing director Peter Blunden that the tape had not been played to anyone apart from Robinson's immediate superiors.

Blunden, who has reportedly made several attempts to resolve the matter, also refused to comment.

It is understood the tape has now been destroyed. It was described as "full of expletives", with Demetriou telling Robinson he would smash him if the story was published. At several times, Demetriou threatened to sue Robinson and the newspaper.

He claimed Robinson had played the tape "around town" and wanted the matter investigated.

Anderson was given a list of people in the media and AFL communities. It included The Age's highest-profile football writer, Caroline Wilson; ABC sports broadcaster Gerard Whateley; former Herald Sun editor in chief Phil Gardner; former Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan; and former St Kilda coach and commentator Grant Thomas.

Gardner and Thomas confirmed Anderson had spoken with them but declared they had not heard the tape.

The Weekend Australian is published by News Corp Australi
- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/afl-boss-says-journo-shared-tape-of-expletive-riddled-tirade/story-e6frg996-1226751603219#sthash.Cpw9voyr.dpuf

He’s gotta go, but what he’s built will remain.

I thought Hamilton was all bluff and bluster, I thought Oakley did an amazing job and never got enough credit (while still having a few secrets about the expansion teams), I thought Jackson was simply not very good.

I’ve never thought the head of the AFL was actively bad for football before.

There were rumours that Demetriou asked the superiors of a leading footy writer to sack that individual.

This is where rumours may be facts.

He's gotta go, but what he's built will remain.
I thought Hamilton was all bluff and bluster, thought Oakley did an amazing job and never got enough credit (while still having a few secrets about the expansion teams), I thought Jackson was simply not very good.
I've never thought the head of the AFL was actively bad for football before.

You are kidding? Under Oakley's reign the competition was never in worse shape with several clubs at the brink of extinction. He also oversaw the introduction of the Bears, which was one of the most ill-prepared sporting franchises in the history of sport, and Fremantle, which despite being in a footy stronghold, was barely better off than Brisbane in its infancy.
Obviously Oakley inherited a fair bit of debt from the previous inept administration, but he was concerned more about fulfilling his imperialist ambitions than safeguarding the clubs and competition. He tried to kill off or merge Victorian clubs, and introduced five new interstate clubs with little thought on how they would survive and prosper in the league. The nationalisation of the competition was a good thing, but the execution was bungled under Oakley's watch. Of his achievements, I think he had a hot daughter who did some back page work for the Sun.

I thought Hamilton was all bluff and bluster, [bI thought Oakley did an amazing job and never got enough credit [/b](while still having a few secrets about the expansion teams), I thought Jackson was simply not very good.

You are kidding? Under Oakley's reign the competition was never in worse shape with several clubs at the brink of extinction. He also oversaw the introduction of the Bears, which was one of the most ill-prepared sporting franchises in the history of sport, and Fremantle, which despite being in a footy stronghold, was barely better off than Brisbane in its infancy.
Obviously Oakley inherited a fair bit of debt from the previous inept administration, but he was concerned more about fulfilling his imperialist ambitions than safeguarding the clubs and competition. He tried to kill off or merge Victorian clubs, and introduced five new interstate clubs with little thought on how they would survive and prosper in the league. The nationalisation of the competition was a good thing, but the execution was bungled under Oakley's watch. Of his achievements, I think he had a hot daughter who did some back page work for the Sun.

....and who also dated former Essendon US import Dwayne Armstrong.

Fark off Demetriou

Both are idiots.

Geez, Andy, it’s only two years in jail. Just man up and get it over and done with.

Geez, Andy, it's only two years in jail. Just man up and get it over and done with.

And being Greek (Cypriot), there's every reason to believe he'll do well there.

Go Robbo

Honestly what a corrupt ■■■■ he is

please be fact.

Don’t worry. The NSA will have a copy of the ‘conversation’. LOL .

It’s no secret that the guy is a bully. Why does he still have his job? Seriously, bullying is up there with bad governance.

Makes Abeid look non corrupt

I thought Hamilton was all bluff and bluster, [bI thought Oakley did an amazing job and never got enough credit [/b](while still having a few secrets about the expansion teams), I thought Jackson was simply not very good.

You are kidding? Under Oakley's reign the competition was never in worse shape with several clubs at the brink of extinction.
At the start of his reign, yes.
Not at the end.

Makes Abeid look non corrupt

Lol No! Gotta go a long long way to make Eddie Obeid look OK :)

Get him Robbo.

Robo will have a job for life wherever he goes. AD will use all his corporate contacts to see to that. LOL.

I thought Hamilton was all bluff and bluster, I thought Oakley did an amazing job and never got enough credit (while still having a few secrets about the expansion teams), I thought Jackson was simply not very good.

That bottom line sums it up for me. Vlad is actually bad for football, plain and simple.

The weirdest thing in this story is that Adrian Anderson was ‘investigating’. Sometimes the forest is very well hidden by the trees.

The weirdest thing in this story is that Adrian Anderson was 'investigating'. Sometimes the forest is very well hidden by the trees.

I assume the AFL is paying for this using our fine money