Robert Shaw #BackIn

What's the fascination with one sided biased commentary? As poor as the basic standard of commentary is, I still don't get the appeal.
l don't usually concern myself with the quality of the commentary, but the huge pro-Gold Coast bias by Brown and Shaw all game was very noticeable as it was so blatant. Amongst the poorest calling of a game l have ever heard.

I didn’t notice any bias during the call. Its only biased if you want 100% of the coverage devoted to EFC.

It was equally ■■■■ for both teams.

Have I got a job for the blitcast boys?!!!

Having Essendon people do Essendon games won't make it nonsensical bias Ala press red for ed and the KB one they did for the tigers, that was purely done for entertainment. Going back to the MUTV example, the commentators are clearly Man U fans and past players so will focus more of their comments on Man U but that's not to say they don't praise the other team or highlight their strengths and weaknesses.

I don’t know, I think watching the game will be more tolerable if you’re listening to Lucas or JDS or Shaw compared to Taylor and Tony Shae or dermie

If you want ranting as well as gushing just get Blitz to do the voiceover.

Fixed.
Having Essendon people do Essendon games won't make it nonsensical bias Ala press red for ed and the KB one they did for the tigers, that was purely done for entertainment. Going back to the MUTV example, the commentators are clearly Man U fans and past players so will focus more of their comments on Man U but that's not to say they don't praise the other team or highlight their strengths and weaknesses.

I don’t know, I think watching the game will be more tolerable if you’re listening to Lucas or JDS or Shaw compared to Taylor and Tony Shae or dermie

If you want criticism as well as praise just get Blitz to do the voiceover.

One sided calls are inevitable. As we move to digital eventually clubs will do their own calls etc for replays and when you have your AFL Online Pass you'll be able to watch it with that. Knowing the AFL it will be 50 years away but it'll happen.

I don’t know if it is a given. It happens in the US because the market is large enough for a local network to cover their city’s team. Most games aren’t televised nationally.

What's the fascination with one sided biased commentary? As poor as the basic standard of commentary is, I still don't get the appeal.
l don't usually concern myself with the quality of the commentary, but the huge pro-Gold Coast bias by Brown and Shaw all game was very noticeable as it was so blatant. Amongst the poorest calling of a game l have ever heard.

I didn’t notice any bias during the call. Its only biased if you want 100% of the coverage devoted to EFC.

Soooo, I’m hearing you say that it is biased?

Having Essendon people do Essendon games won’t make it nonsensical bias Ala press red for ed and the KB one they did for the tigers, that was purely done for entertainment. Going back to the MUTV example, the commentators are clearly Man U fans and past players so will focus more of their comments on Man U but that’s not to say they don’t praise the other team or highlight their strengths and weaknesses.

One sided calls are inevitable. As we move to digital eventually clubs will do their own calls etc for replays and when you have your AFL Online Pass you’ll be able to watch it with that. Knowing the AFL it will be 50 years away but it’ll happen.

We should get someone like Tiziano Crudeli for milan.

I didn't notice any bias during that game. What are some examples? I was actually surprised at Brown's knowledge of both teams and completely unsurprised at Tony Shaw's lack of knowledge or ability to talk sense.

I didn’t think it was biased in the sense that it unfairly represented the game or individual, but it certainly felt that the weight of the actual discussion favoured Gold Coast. I can’t really provide examples because I’d have to rewatch it and time how much time was spent talking about each team, and I’m not that crazy yet. It didn’t bother me per se but I think if you were a Gold Coast supporter you would have learnt a lot more about your players’ prospects than an Essendon supporter would have. Then again maybe if I actually followed GC I would have found the commentary about GC as facile as I did the Essendon stuff because I know our list way better.

I didn't notice any bias during that game. What are some examples? I was actually surprised at Brown's knowledge of both teams and completely unsurprised at Tony Shaw's lack of knowledge or ability to talk sense.

Don’t forget! We’ve got the most sensitive petals on the face of the earth on this forum.

I didn’t notice anything too bad in the calling either.

Worst, most cringeworthy thing I’ve seen in a long time was Press Red for Ed. If you like that sort of thing, but from an Essendon POV, then you can, IMHO, FRO.

<3

My two favourites was the EFC players running out, and while our song was playing they started talking about Ben Ainsworth. No EFC player worth talking about lads? But that is more the coverage than the commentators.

What about the wonderful Begley only playing on a kid???

And I do still hate any reference to the banned players. Are we moving on or not media, I’m confused?

Do you think we'll ever get to the stage where full replays on matches will be broadcasted online but with Essendon people commentating? Similar thing happens in epl

No. AFL wouldn’t want that.

Exactly. Anything that cuts across the TV rights deal is out, and even if we asked for it before the TV rights deal was negotiated, the AFL would want to see $$$$$ flowing from it, so its not going to happen.

The original point was it be like ‘mutv’ mutv does not play games live. its usually a few days later.

because you get tokenistic attempts at unbiased calls.

I’m not sure how introducing one eyed commentary fixes that. I’d rather just listen to someone call the facts of game as they happen, without any obvious sway towards either side.

I think a lack of research and knowledge, endless personal banter, ego stroking and giving jobs to people with a high profile name instead of those with the necessary skills and knowledge is a far bigger blight on modern commentary than any bias that people perceive.

Agree. I would rather have game ‘callers’ rather than ‘commentators’. If we can’t have that we should be able to just have the atmos. I might even watch other teams play if there was no commentary.

But its not the official commentary, its for a 2nd viewing. a couple of days later…