Rohan Connolly thoughts on Essendon

Thanks for posting on behalf of Rohan CJ. The club would be very foolish to ignore what Rohan is saying… he not only has plenty of knowledge about the EFC but also how other clubs operate. He has no hidden agenda or personal axe to grind… he is someone who has followed the cub closely for a long time, loves the game and has fantastic, in depth knowledge developed through years of journalist work analysing games.
Thanks for the post Rohan…

10 Likes

Coteries give players a job or help them make a living after they retire. I wouldn’t be surprised if they played a major role in getting Shiel to Essendon and they’re the reason that Shiel turned down bigger offers from Carlton and St. Kilda. A mate of mine works for a coterie who gave leuenberger a job at his company and that is how I found out about his retirement before it made the news.

4 Likes

Can Blitz start it’s own Coterie?

3 Likes

Hmmmm.

Sounds like someone is considering running for something…

8 Likes

Snore Factor 2 point 0

1 Like

I blame Kevin sheedy for decline started after 2002. When we got rid of Blumfield Caraceller and heffamen.because of the salary cap.sheedy would not draft younger players to develop them .because he thought they take too long to develop. He’s philosophy was to draft ready-made players.there was some players that the list management wanted to draft but sheedy override him .we let too many players go like Basha houli .Ted Richard. how many players were drafted from our reserves went to other teams.Sheedy had too much power.we stuck to our guns by not letting Joe daniher go .but we let Paddy Ryder and Michael hibbetts walk to other clubs. Never forget the new football team .like the giant and Gold coast suns got all the best new talent for years

1 Like

I remember going to an essendon v.s Sydney game at Etihad back in the mid 2000’s . Rohan was just seating on the wing as a normal Punter would. No corporate box or any other garbage. As a kid I was too shy to go up to him
And say hello but he was chatting as normal people do about essendon etc( when is the last time anyone from the club just sat in amongst the fans to get a feel of what supporters go through during a game). had respect for him ever since then, and his footy knowledge is top notch.

The guy clearly loves the club.

He is spot on with everything he said by the way. The culture of the club is rotten ( my words not his).

His thoughts on Bellchambers and zaka are spot on!

He is right when he says the club doesn’t actually feel like a footy club anymore.

Rohan if you ever want to join the lid on thread, I will reserve a seat for you.

It’s pretty ballsy to come on here and give his thoughts, massive props to Rohan

Rohan clearly is a calm measured person. Otherwise who could work in the same building as Caro and not take a dump on her desk. The main has restraint that I could only dream of

29 Likes

He’s very very right about the cultural issues.

I don’t know what the fix is but he’s right that there is a deep seated problem somewhere.

This is something that I’ve been saying on here for years. Last year I posted a very long manifesto about what I’d do at the club to try and have a complete reboot. Some people agreed but a few others said “nah, it’s just Worsfold, he’s the only problem”.

Well he’s not, and what’s happening this year is already showing that quite clearly.

5 Likes

Absolutely, can’t argue with that.

P.S screw worsfold

2 Likes

Well said, Rohan.

1 Like

now we know what’s happened to bomber Thompson and he’s Saga .he was the one who brought Steven dank to the club.was bomber Thompson The mastermind from behind the supplement fiasco.and he let James hird be the sacrificial lamb

We’re at a 50% win rate for 2020…and the burners are already heating up under Essendon…

Rutten hasn’t even officially taken over as sole head coach, and he’s already copping it…

If we finish the season with a string if losses, as is currently expected, it will be interesting to see how hot things get between the media commentators and Essendon HQ.

Can you imagine Dodoro being stopped for a chat on trade radio, and actually having to defend his performance? Everyone’s questioning it now!

I will just be watching with detached amusement. As a powerless member, that’s all I can do…

4 Likes

Media has set the narrative about rutten. by claiming him and worsfold a coaching.because Worsfold is immune from criticisms.the media know if they do criticize him is just like water off a ducks back .because Worsfold at the end of the year .he’s going to retire hang up the whistle and never coach again. Worsfold is a coward for the media setting that narrative and not standing up and saying that he is the one really coach in the team. He does want to tarnish his reputation. he’s got a job waiting for him at Fremantle Dockers

Really not one word from Rohan about the culture of the playing group itself.
Are we saying that reflects what the board, coteries, the management and staff think. I don’t think so.

The playing group culture lives on in the club over decades, young players pick up on it when they join, then pass it on when they become senior players.

How does a winning culture develop? I believe that each new senior coach has a window of time to infuse the start of a winning culture in a playing group. If that winning culture results in an early premiership or success year on year, the culture thrives. If not, the coaches message becomes stale, the players stop listening, lose motivation and start to just go through the motions.

We all know the stories of the coaches over the last 20 years. 1 was past his use by date after 2000, one was on the wrong track, and 3 were badly effected by the saga.

Really Rutten is the first coach in 10 years to get a clear run at it.
Hopefully he can instil a winning culture in the playing group.

2 Likes

Can you do us a favour and drop this comment in every other thread you also don’t care about just so we’re all aware of where you stand on everything? Cheers bud

16 Likes

I think what disappointed me the most early in the year was that we saw the same selection mistakes which have been a part of the poor culture for years. We keep picking players when they under perform & never seem to make a statement. Yes we seem to have no problem dropping younger guys quick enough but too many times senior guys are allowed several well below par games with few ever dropped (occasionally they are managed). I don’t think this sends the right message through the team at all.

The other selection gripe has to be the amount of times we pick injured & clearly underdone players. TBell round 1 was completely gassed by 3qtr time & it almost cost us the game. Plenty here could see that happening beforehand so why can’t the club. Fantasia was clearly hampered most of last year but still played even with little reward. Get him fit or don’t play him. He clearly didn’t get any better last year & started this year still underdone. I have to believe sending him out for surgery or rest (whatever was required) from mid last year had to give us a better chance to see him play meaningful footy this year.

4 Likes

so it wasn’t coterie members who started the “save sheedy” group who was gonna over throw the board and reinstate him as coach ?

Also he never mentioned anything about why knights was recruited.
yes he lost the players, but i think that’s the point he was trying to make, he lost the political games from behind the scenes and got the ■■■■ cos too much power behind the scenes wanted to back the players in.

Why ? because he continually moved out the old senior players from a club that values warm fuzzy feels over onfield output.

Fast forward 10 years and look at what still happens now, you have the new status quo senior players who don’t get dropped.
the only one who vaguely has been on the cusp is TBELL and he gets the lovely tag of “being managed”, just like myers got “rested”.
when players don’t like the gameplan, they just half ■■■■ it until said influences force change.
Neeld getting the sack.
I’m betting if this season continues to go the way it is, worsfold will magically be pushed out and the players will get to be “unshackled” and go back to playing footy the way they want too.

So yes he lost the players, cos it seems way too many people behind the scenes have way too much influence on how things are run, and when they aren’t getting their way, they start trouble, hence this guys comments about the bullshit politics that go on at the club.

And the worst part is, the senior players know they have so much power over and above the coaches, they have the backing off the field and behind the scenes, and they have the younger players ear and can steer them in their direction.

10 Likes

One way to find out, ask him if he will stand.

1 Like

It would be a fight to hell and back i assume lol imagine an outsider coming in and wanting to sack people and change certain things.

Im all for it tho and rohan says it himself “I think whoever is prepared to tackle them head-on needs to be given the utmost support”

Ironically, James Hird would somewhat fit that bill.

It would take someone with the experience and clout of Clarkson or even Neale Balme to tell those powerbrokers to fark right off when they overstep.

5 Likes