Rookie B list players

I wonder if had Ronke made it through, would we have still packed up our stuff and gone home.

No. We would have picked him.

Okay, so what I remember reading was from this article http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie which says
The club will need to lodge relevant paperwork immediately after the rookie draft on November 28 to secure the multicultural or indigenous talent.
Who knows what "immediately" means.

k.Kirby you say, eh?

Cal Twomey staded on Twitter that paperwork for Cat B rookies had to be lodged by 5pm today.

I’m not too fussed. I really wanted Ronke but he is gone. I really don’t think the others listed have much chance of success (have not looked at the AFL list).

To be of any value at all it needs to kick in before the rookie draft.

I’m really disappointed at the broader AFL’s lack of take up of this, what a wasted botch job. Did anyone from the lists get added?

I'm really disappointed at the broader AFL's lack of take up of this, what a wasted botch job. Did anyone from the lists get added?

its flawed though. anyone worth taking is taken by the rookie draft, should be automatic rookie Bs after not making it through ND.

I'm really disappointed at the broader AFL's lack of take up of this, what a wasted botch job. Did anyone from the lists get added?

its flawed though. anyone worth taking is taken by the rookie draft, should be automatic rookie Bs after not making it through ND.

Agree or at least like the academy set up

Irra to Port

How is it we have no category B’s.

We have on our list

• a Tiwi Islander who was ignored in 3 drafts.
  • an Irishman who had a year left on category B
  • An English soccer player who has barely played the game
  • A Canadian??

And we let go a Sudanese who we didn’t seem to give a chance after picking him with our first rookie pick last year.

Seriously though, what was it with nominating players who had to be ignored in the draft before you could consider them.

What about all the potential nominees who weren’t nominated or selected like Ezekiel Frank.

Why do they need to be nominated for category B??

So far as I can tell one club used it, Port, on a 22 year old Sudanese fella who had been playing SANFL for like 3 years.

So clearly a rousing success

So far as I can tell one club used it, Port, on a 22 year old Sudanese fella who had been playing SANFL for like 3 years.

West coast used to on Tarir Bayok

Might have been handy if we could have put gach on the cat b list given hes from africa.

Wow, twice as sucsessful!

WILSON

I’m not. The rookie draft is already a last chance option for players with deficiencies of one type or another. The Cat B is after that again and if it’s trying to address the inequality of the interstate club academies, it’s not even in the ball park.

At a minimum it needs to be before the rookie draft. Else it’s purely token and not worth having in terms of bridging a Sydney/Brisbane academy inequality.

Hey @benfti , do you think the changes in the rules for category B zone rookies foreshadowed in the bolded section of the article below will improve it.

The lack of ability for zoned players to play TAC or state league seems to be a bugbear for mine (would have made Walla ineligible). Hopefully this years rousing success will cause a creation of genuine zones without these restrictions.

AFL clubs to get free shot at multicultural and Indigenous rookies after this year’s draft

Emma Quayle

Proactive clubs will be given a free shot at a player from their new academy zones this year, in a one-off relaxation of the rookie list rules.

As part of the Next Generation academies’ roll-out, clubs will have the chance to list automatically a player from their region as a rookie if they are passed over in the national and rookie drafts.

Clubs must apply to the AFL for prospects from their region to be considered, and players must be draft age or older and meet a number of other criteria to be eligible for selection.

Players born in Africa or Asia – or who have at least one parent born there – may be eligible.

So, too, may players born – or whose parents were both born – in a non-English speaking country from another continent.

Clubs can also apply for Indigenous prospects living in areas under-represented in the AFL draft to be considered.

Clubs will be able to add players straight to their list as a category B rookie if they go undrafted, provided they have not already filled their quota of three.

Current category B rookie rules allow clubs to list international players, players crossing over from another sport or players who have not been registered with a football club for three years or more.

If a club decides against listing a nominated player from their Next Generation region, he will be available to all other clubs as a free hit after the draft.

Clubs must apply for a player to be considered by the middle of August, and a list of those approved will be circulated among clubs in September.

From next year, clubs will have access to players from their Next Generation academies at the draft.

They must again apply to the AFL ahead of time for players to be deemed eligible under “exceptional circumstance” rules given the system is so new.

From 2018, clubs will need to nominate and bid for their players on draft night using the bidding system that applies to father-son prospects and those from the four northern academies.

However, they must have applied to the AFL for any players to be declared eligible no later than the start of the year in which they turn 16.

While special exceptions may be made, players are unlikely to be deemed eligible unless they have been participating in their club’s academy for at least three years.

Clubs can pay prospects no more than $25,000 worth of benefits unless the AFL signs off on it, and players who play 10 TAC Cup or state league matches are unlikely to be eligible.

The Next Generation academies were launched earlier this year and clubs were assigned zones throughout the country.

Their aim is to boost the number of players from multicultural and under-represented Indigenous areas being drafted to play in the AFL, increasing diversity across the competition.

Draft numbers from NSW, in particular, have risen significantly in the past couple of years as more players from the Swans and Giants academies have been drafted.

Collingwood has already set about establishing a stronger working relationship with TAC Cup club Oakleigh Chargers, with central Melbourne in the club’s zone.

North Melbourne will run Tasmania, while four clubs (Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and Geelong) will run programs in parts of the Northern Territory.

Other clubs have been assigned areas throughout Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

As discussed elsewhere, the 10 TAC Cup games rule (if it happens) is going to render the whole thing irrelevant. No club is going to spend real time and money on a program that they get no benefit from if they find a good player.

I'm not. The rookie draft is already a last chance option for players with deficiencies of one type or another. The Cat B is after that again and if it's trying to address the inequality of the interstate club academies, it's not even in the ball park.
LOL

Of course it isn’t, it was a PR brain färt to shut Eddy up.

It sure what else you expected. Clubs are being asked if they want to scrape the bottom of a barrel.

It’s a poorly designed program with little incentive for clubs to get on board.

It sure what else you expected. Clubs are being asked if they want to scrape the bottom of a barrel.

It’s a poorly designed program with little incentive for clubs to get on board.

That’s my point