Rookie Draft Time

Here is my problem with the Eades thing, and it kind of has nothing to do with Eades specifically.

I said words to this effect on the blitzcast. You draft a kid like Eades in the knowledge that he is a work in progress athletically and socially. It takes time, patience and understanding.

With that being said what I would hate to see happen (and yes it’s on him to an extent) Is it falls on its face and is gone at years end and Yestin Eades will be forever the reference point as to why we don’t give kids like that a go anymore. I would like to think the club (and blitz) are better than that.

Why is everyone crying about wasting picks on McKernan and Eades, despite the club openly saying that they were going to do it the whole time?

We may have lost out on two rookie picks, but we also gained two national draft picks in Mutch and Clarke. I’d much rather have those picks than two extra rookie spots.

does that mean your happy he has been rookied

Personally don’t mind at all. Ruck was strong but without smack little back up. Smack gives at least plausible cover with a seasoned body for ruck and key forward. You would hope he’s not needed but he’s there. Draper gives the project ruck with upside that is a few years off. Definitely not expecting him to be ready for afl for a year or two or three, but at least he’s the right size and can get his big frame around. With only draper we would be short instant ruck support. With only smack we’d have nothing brewing. Highlights suggest Draper already has some moves, and he’s only played this last year!

Eades - well the ball is in his court now. High ceiling, just better not cupido it.

farkcarlton are cleaning up

On kids that aren’t good enough to be drafted in the top 100?
Let’s all settle down.

On excitement machinas!

Hmmm Alex Silvagni. I can’t hold my excitement in.

Yeah, but also LeBois & Galluci.

My error - though farkcarlton had both of them.
It was Crows that got Ronke & LeBois.

Sure about that ?

Oh I don’ know what I’m farkin saying, ignore me!

Personally don't mind at all. Ruck was strong but without smack little back up. Smack gives at least plausible cover with a seasoned body for ruck and key forward. You would hope he's not needed but he's there. Draper gives the project ruck with upside that is a few years off. Definitely not expecting him to be ready for afl for a year or two or three, but at least he's the right size and can get his big frame around. With only draper we would be short instant ruck support. With only smack we'd have nothing brewing. Highlights suggest Draper already has some moves, and he's only played this last year!

Eades - well the ball is in his court now. High ceiling, just better not cupido it.

This.

And having played soccer, he should be able to kick ok… and being a goal-keeper, that indicates some decent hands and a touch of courage and insanity that can be useful for a ruck.

Here is my problem with the Eades thing, and it kind of has nothing to do with Eades specifically.

I said words to this effect on the blitzcast. You draft a kid like Eades in the knowledge that he is a work in progress athletically and socially. It takes time, patience and understanding.

With that being said what I would hate to see happen (and yes it’s on him to an extent) Is it falls on its face and is gone at years end and Yestin Eades will be forever the reference point as to why we don’t give kids like that a go anymore. I would like to think the club (and blitz) are better than that.

Are you disappointed that he was dropped to the rookie list or that other people are having a tantrum about it?
Drapers highlights look great

Cough****
Hope you’re kidding! Just looked at some footage and he would have difficulty running out of sight on a dark night!?
The ball seems to take forever to get to his foot. Hope I’m wrong with all this initial assessment based on 3 minutes of youtube highlights! :’(

Did you see Draper sell the dummy and sidestep. The guy is a bulldozer. He could have just charged through the player he was nice enough to go around !
He is a serious upgrade on Gach, in around the ground marking, and completing with other big ruckmen. At least it appears that way at the level he was playing at.

Dammit - I wanted a shiny new toy, not to be regifted the (barely used) toy that I got last Christmas!

Back him in. He has some AFL traits, up to him to work on the rest!

Why is everyone crying about wasting picks on McKernan and Eades, despite the club openly saying that they were going to do it the whole time?

We may have lost out on two rookie picks, but we also gained two national draft picks in Mutch and Clarke. I’d much rather have those picks than two extra rookie spots.

I’m crying about it because we keep doing it and it keeps not working, and I’m kind of hoping one day the pile of re-rookied players gets big enough that we stop wasting list spots doing it.

Similar thing applies to Gach.

Hmmmm…where to from here Aaron H???

when do we hear about Category B listed players?
do we just select 3 off our list, Ie Tatchell, magbegor and Saad.
do clubs do this secretly after rookie draft.

does that mean your happy he has been rookied

of course, as I said on the blitzcast, you bail on kids with his background after a year, it would have done irreparable damage, and we may just get a footy player out of it if it works out.

Are you disappointed that he was dropped to the rookie list or that other people are having a tantrum about it?

nah, was the sort of guy who probably should have been a rookie in the first place. But I think we needed to go there to get him. Lebois on the other hand, should have been the other way around.

Why did we bother with Richards if we knew we'd be going Smack and Eades? Meaning we only had pick 1 and we presumably identified Draper by then...

Unless we got to 67 and decided D Clarke was a more attractive prospect.

We had both Green and Richards training with us, it may well have been that we decided on Green and that was it.

Considering a reasonable amount of players were redrafted by their original teams or new teams, it would suggest that the pool was kind of shallow. We prioritised a ruck and with quite a few taken in the 1st round, we obviously knew we needed to make our choice straight away.
While Smack might not be the exciting pick, he is our 1st choice ruck back up and ready to go next year rather than punting on an 18/19 yo.

Eades could be argued either way but considering what we’ve already drafted and what was left available, he was an understandable choice. Not necessarily the right one but understandable nonetheless.

While excitement is nice, it’s the meat and veg players who get the team into a position to win usually. In all honesty, we are not a top 2 team unless the planets align. This crop of workers can be complemented by the polish in the next draft or 2.

Eades can consider himself lucky that he is athletically gifted, because on effort and performance he shouldn’t be anywhere near an AFL list.