Rookie Draft Time

Didn’t they get a large amount tax payers money for an indigenous centre?

Hurt seeing Lebois go to Carlton and Stengel go to the Tigers it must be said.

Richmond have more indigenous players than we do. I’m finding that hard to process.

There are reasons for that.
And it won’t always be this way.

Eades pick 36
Open my eyes and RISE LIKE YEAST

Another infection mate?

Richmond have more indigenous players than we do. I’m finding that hard to process.

Every chance that won’t be true by the end of the year, the rate Richmond go through them.

I've got mixed feelings about giving rookie spots to McKernan and Eades. McKernan is backup only, and I was very disappointed with what Eades showed this year. However, as I see it, we delisted both to make room for more picks in the main draft, without intending to completely cut them. So, as a strategy, it is ok, if the intent was always to keep them, but to get the most possible out of the main draft. Draper is an interesting one. Definitely it was a good idea to rookie a ruckman. The question is was McInerney, or any other 20+ yr old, a better option than the best 18yo. An 18yo, no matter who he is, is going to be 3-4 yrs away from being ready, and so is inevitably a bigger stab in the dark than taking the best mature (but still young) guy. I think Dedorio likes the idea of taking a stab at an unknown who hasn't been in the system long in the hope he could be an undiscovered champion in the making. And why not? Not much to lose in this case - it is not like we are using a first or second round pick on him. His highlights tapes seem to indicate he has really good raw ingredients. If we don't play Luenberger and Belcho in the same team, then I hope it doesn't cost Draper ruck time in the VFL. If, for example, we had TBC in the VFL and doing most of the ruckwork, then I would like to see Draper play 1st ruck in the EDFL rather than just get a few minutes here and there in the VFL, as happened to Gach this year.

Agree 100%. Even Smack doesn’t seem to be the same player without a lot of ruck time, as well as needing to keep TBC or Leuey in shape and maybe even giving Stewart a pinch hit as he may be required if played in AFL.

At least Draper can compete with physicality in the ruck, which Gach couldn’t this year.

What do you think the likelihood Richmond’s indigenous picks taken this year will succeed at AFL level?
I think the problem is with our 2nd and 3rd picks in the ND. I don't think they were clear best or fitting a need. We could have addressed a ruck or crumbing gap but didn't.

Given that’s in the past, I think the strategy today was ok. We took a project ruckman and we needed to do this. We kept Smack as backup knowing the project ruckman would not be ready this year. I just hope we give him a reasonable go and don’t delist him after 1 season.

Re Eades we took him and contracted him for 2 years knowing his background was difficult. We are honoring the contract which also seems correct.

That’s because you are not inside the club and do not have a clue what the strategy was. You have applied your strategy and declared the club failed because they didn’t do what you wanted.

Thought this was a forum where people gave their opinion. By your rationale we might as well close the entire draft thread.

Actually, all he did was give his opinion.

As did I although I disagree - He was providing an opinion on my opinion which is a little different at least in terms of the thread topic. Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one. Some people just need to be arseholes in providing them and there are a few here.

Every chance that won’t be true by the end of the year, the rate Richmond go through them.

Probably.

There are reasons for that.
And it won’t always be this way.

Main reason I can come up with is because they drafted more than we did.

Demoti Eades and McKernan to the rookie list so we could take another 2 selections in the ND is actually genius
A horrible abuse of the rookie list, but genius nonetheless
I shall dub thee “the Essington list manoeuvre”

What do you think the likelihood Richmond’s indigenous picks taken this year will succeed at AFL level?

Two ways to answer that.

1. Lebois and Bolton are two of the kids I rated the most this year, they are very exciting and extremely gifted players, if they reach their respective potential I feel they will be absolute guns, the idea of a developed Dan Rioli, Shai Bolton and Kym Lebois running around in the same team is scarey.

2. It’s Richmond, they can’t develop a rash.

ehhh..... confusing post there wim

Can he provide short term back up if need be? Yes. Is he a long term prospect? Yes.

Define short term.
Could he be our number one ruck for a month if need be?
Could he fill the role that Giles and Jamar were brought in to play?
Like I said, I hope so. Seems a tad on the optimistic side to me.

And on the long-term thing, my point was that if he’s given the full three years on the rookie list, will we be ready to make that call before he’s 21?

Hell, maybe he was the best and most likely out there.
Maybe at 17 he’s a better stop-gap than the 25 year-olds running around in the state leagues.

It just seems odd. In a league where teams don’t do this anymore, we’ve done it twice in two years.

I get what you’re saying, totally. I think at best he’d be 4th in line (Mckernan) as backup and i cant recall an 18yo carrying the ruckload in a long long time. So short term? I think itd be a “break glass in emergency” scenario for a week or two.

But if/once you decide to buck the League trend then the place to do it is probably via the RD. Yeah, in three years max you have to make a call on a 21yo. But even if he’s on the main list, you still have to make the same call on the same kid. Is having the flexibility to drop him to the rookie list after 2 years -and therefore potentially extending his stay to 5 years before a definitive call - a better outcome than having a main list spot free to use elsewhere for the next three years? Not sure. Probably not much in it. Cheaper in the short term on the rookie list.

I like the idea that we may be the club who turns back to sticking with young developmental ruvkmen. But we absolutely have to see it through (unless hes total rubbish or big trouble) or it makes no sense at all to even bother.

Two ways to answer that.

1. Lebois and Bolton are two of the kids I rated the most this year, they are very exciting and extremely gifted players, if they reach their respective potential I feel they will be absolute guns, the idea of a developed Dan Rioli, Shai Bolton and Kym Lebois running around in the same team is scarey.

Did Richmond get LeBois or Carlton?

Given Draper is already a big boi, and seems like he has reasonable skills and mobility from his highlights, he is a huge way ahead of the other young rucks we have tried to develop over the last decade. Very hard to put 30 kg on a young bloke in a short time while teaching him all the other stuff…like kicking, running and marking.

Demoti Eades and McKernan to the rookie list so we could take another 2 selections in the ND is actually genius A horrible abuse of the rookie list, but genius nonetheless I shall dub thee "the Essington list manoeuvre"

Half genius. It would have been completely genius if we hadn’t picked them up today.

I think the problem is with our 2nd and 3rd picks in the ND. I don't think they were clear best or fitting a need. We could have addressed a ruck or crumbing gap but didn't.

Given that’s in the past, I think the strategy today was ok. We took a project ruckman and we needed to do this. We kept Smack as backup knowing the project ruckman would not be ready this year. I just hope we give him a reasonable go and don’t delist him after 1 season.

Re Eades we took him and contracted him for 2 years knowing his background was difficult. We are honoring the contract which also seems correct.

That’s because you are not inside the club and do not have a clue what the strategy was. You have applied your strategy and declared the club failed because they didn’t do what you wanted.

From outside, it appeared that the club did not know what the strategy was because they were clearly caught with their pants down, asked for 2 time extensions and went into a huddle to work it out. But hey, its no big deal .

Two ways to answer that.

Did Richmond get LeBois or Carlton?

Sorry I meant Stengel

Picked up smack and eades for them to be delisted again in a year. Waste of time

Both the drafts have been really underwhelming. Thank fark for McG.

Geez take a valium and chill out, both drafts were very focussed and most people think we did very well.

Massive fan of the main draft but the RD was ordinary IMO. Draper is a good prospect and I rate him but not happy with the other 2 charity cases.

McKernan was top 10 b+f in 2015! Charity???

Picked up smack and eades for them to be delisted again in a year. Waste of time
Not for them.