Round 1 - 3 vs 4 - 7 (Stats)

In the last 4 games Essendon has amassed a total of 36 goals - 9 vs Freo, 9 vs St Kilda, 8 vs Pies, and a massive 10 vs Bulldogs.

In 4 of 16 of those quarters Essendon has scored 20 goals - 4 last qtr vs Freo, 5 first qtr vs StK, 5 first qtr vs Pies and 6 3rd qtr vs Bulldogs. 

That leaves 16 goals in the other 12 quarters. A soccer-like return. 

Hardly inspires any confidence that Essendon has much firepower up-front.

IMO Essendon's great 2013 start to the season was on the back of an excellent backline and in-form midfielders and rucks who drove Essendon to victories in spite of an ordinary forward set-up.

In 2014 we have seen a loss of form by Watson and Zaharakis, Goddard and Myers missing a couple, Hibberd a little down on his 2013 form, Dempsey largely missing and then out of touch, Carlisle's defensive dominance lost, and of course no Bellchambers.

So its hardly surprising that Essendon have struggled, and are likely to continue to struggle to win any game until the backs and mids fully fire.

The good sign against the Bulldogs was that the backline performed very well.  Now it requires Watson & co to play to their peak.  I hold little hope that the forwards in 2014 will consistently trouble many defences.

I get that Joe D and Carlisle are a bit green but we roll Ryder, Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Winderlich and Chapman through that forward line as well… Fair bit of experience there.

I remember noticing against north, hawthorn and Carlton how much space we were creating up forward… We’re not doing much of that lately.

The whole team seems to be down since the Freo game, hopefully this win gives us a bit of fluency going forward.

Easy explanation. Teams are playing man on man, meaning no easy uncontested disposals. We have struggled because we are not a quick team and our disposal has been off due to pressure. We don't have a plan 'B'

Theres a plan B.  Its change from Plan A: in attack to spread possess and come back into the guts or persist out wide when options mandate it.,  to Plan B  contested footy when in defensive mode.    The trouble is that the team cannot change mind set fast enough,   it has to learn to do an immediate transition from attack to defensive mode and back.   Thats the whole team.   Even the forwards have to fight to get the footy really hard when not in possession to try to lock it into 50......   

I do wonder a bit about the usefulness of the contested ball stat as a measure. As I understand the way it is measured a lot of contested ball could mean the other side is doing a good job of pressuring disposals.

I’d be interested to see a stat more like clearances where the ball is won to some kind of advantage from a disputed situation. Basically, measure how many times guys are winning their own ball and the side is keeping it

I think guys can rack up ineffective contested ball by flicking it around in tight congested space but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the team winning possession to advantage

For what it is worth I think we have been well down in this department over the last month

I can prove anything by statistics except the truth. 

I do wonder a bit about the usefulness of the contested ball stat as a measure. As I understand the way it is measured a lot of contested ball could mean the other side is doing a good job of pressuring disposals.
I'd be interested to see a stat more like clearances where the ball is won to some kind of advantage from a disputed situation. Basically, measure how many times guys are winning their own ball and the side is keeping it
I think guys can rack up ineffective contested ball by flicking it around in tight congested space but that doesn't necessarily translate to the team winning possession to advantage
For what it is worth I think we have been well down in this department over the last month

I always look at the uncontested possession. 

Contested possessions are great to win in contested games but the way footy is played now it's about uncontested possessions. If you're getting uncontested touches you're generally working harder, getting away from your opponent and the team is generally using it better.

When every touch is contested it's a result of poor kicks putting team mates under pressure, which like you said leads to more rushed disposals and then that pressure gets transferred on. 

Still think contested possessions are important but not nearly as huge as the media makes out. 

One thing of note also, is that in first three weeks, North and Carlton games, we won every quarter, while we won one against Hawks.

The rest of the games we have won just one quarter each week. Be interesting how those stats break down in those quarters. It is a bit shocking that we beat Dogs by winning one quarter of football.

What can we do when we switch on all day? That is Bomba's question

One thing of note also, is that in first three weeks, North and Carlton games, we won every quarter, while we won one against Hawks.

The rest of the games we have won just one quarter each week. Be interesting how those stats break down in those quarters. It is a bit shocking that we beat Dogs by winning one quarter of football.

Right now l would take being switched on for a half or three quarters. 

so Essendon v

So us v brisbane is actually the battle of the 2 teams who struggle to win a quarter of footy

so Essendon v

So us v brisbane is actually the battle of the 2 teams who struggle to win a quarter of footy

They struggle more than we do. 

so Essendon v

They struggle more than we do. 

i really hope so CJ. I am worried - up there against us they have done it to us many times before when we were expected to win.