Round 1 - Essendon v Hawthorn

Not everyone. I’ll be talking about how Clone_Hirdy ruined the ending for everyone. (-BSD).

7 Likes

I was at the 83 GF and saw the Watson incident and seem to recall Robertson standing beside Watson then just turning to him and snotting him. Pretty sure Watson had his hands by his side. For the record.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the Hawks have the smalls down back to stop our small forwards.

Gibson, Stratton and Frawley, two of them will have their hands full and the other will most likely be lining up on one of Fanta, Tippa, Colyer or Green.

Midfield wise I think we have a better one, but not by that mutch.

In going for a high scoring game.

4 Likes

this.
For the first time in god knows how long we have a forward line that can match theirs for scoring power. Both talls and smalls.

I’ll believe it when I hopefully see it.

1 Like

I just want to see the boys fired up and tacking hard just like they were when we came out in the NAB cup under Hirdy and set the standard for the first half of the year. Surely they’ve got enough fire in the belly to do that after what they’ve been through. I hope our leaders on and off the field can just set the intensity and we just have a mantra of “win this quarter”. Time will tell…

3 Likes

Normally Hodge would try that role. However, given that he cannot keep up with Ambrose in a sprint, even Hodge is not the answer they need, they will be asking the small mids and (high) half forwards to go right back to try to stop our small forwards. Thats a big ask.

Hodge will be sitting courageously in the coaches box Saturday night anyway.

15 Likes

Had a dream last night. 3/4 time were up 61-57. After being up 61-39 at 1/2 time. I woke up during that last quarter because I couldn’t deal with the fact we were about to get overrun…again.

4 Likes

And cue the excuses of ‘underdone, will be better for the run, the team haven’t gelled yet, fitness will build’ etc.
I actually think if the game was only the length of a half and the season only 11 games every year we might of won a flag throughout the last decade.

3 Likes

Not seeing Bird in any Round 1 teams.

Genuinely haven’t seen him on any injured list either?

I’d have him in for sure. Underrated.

2 Likes

So courageous!

1 Like

Hawks are playing us for the first time in 15 years without Sam Mitchell, Hodge & Lewis - normally at least one of those three is in the best 3 on the ground.

They are all tough nuts and not having them I think tilts the game in our favour - if we can’t win clearances and contested ball against the Hawks on Saturday night (even with Leuy missing) I doubt we will win those stats against virtually anyone this year - I think we were last for one if (not both) those stats in the pre-season.

I think we will win those stats on Saturday night, win then well and get enough ball forward for us, via Fantasi, Tippa & Green to score heavily enough to outscore Rioli, Breust & Puopolo, I think the small forwards will be having a shoot out.

1 Like

In Round 2 2015 was the last time we beat Hawthorn.
15 Players who remain at the club
Heppell, Goddard, Watson, Merrett, Hurley, Stanton, Hooker, Zaharakis, Baguley, Colyer, Gleeson, Daniher, Ambrose, Howlett. Bellchambers

7 Outs from that game
Melksham, Hibberd, Cooney, Chapman, Gwilt, Carlisle, Ashby, Bellchambers

8 Possible ins:
MacKernan, McGrath, Kelly, Fantasia, Green, Stewart, Tippa. Parish, Langford.

So evaluating changes:
McKernanMelksham
McGrath>Ashby
Langford >Cooney
Kelly>Gwilt
Fantasia>Chapman
Stewart<Carlisle

On balance, the players should have improved. However, will teamwork of the re-constituted list be good enough?

1 Like

Would be interesting to look at Hawks in/outs from the same match. I think you would find that they are almost the opposite.

Still going to be a really tough ask, but I don’t think it will be the runaway that some are suggesting. If Leuy was in, I would be far more confident. I really think that Smack is the key… if he can play well/hold his own… then we have a shot… if he gets skinned then it could go sideways.

Do you ever, ever, stop belly-aching ffs

2 Likes

I think Belly-Aching is the reason that we may lose.

6 Likes

When i stop seeing excuses and start seeing some wins on the board maybe. Feel free to block my posts champ.

Is JOM playing?

40 touches and 3 goals. Fuuuuuck so wish we got him.

1 Like

see attached