Round 1 - Essendon v Hawthorn

One of the few reasons I wanted Tippa back (okay I was wrong, he’s electric up forward) was because our backline looked slow. I don’t mind Stants, Goddard, Kelly, Ambrose, Hartley all playing down back but they really do lack pace & Bags especially looks 2 steps slower than usual.

I’ll back Baggers in.

Fitness isn’t an issue when you’ve got a big heart. He’ll be throwing his body around deep into the last quarter. I don’t have many doubts about it. Put him on that Puoplo bloke.

3 Likes

In defence of Baguley, according to club stats, Menzel has 12cm and almost 10kg on Baguley and basically monstered him. On Hawthorns smaller forwards he should be able to use his strength more effectively. If it was a serious game Dea would have been a much better match for Menzel.

Give Bags another go.

4 Likes

I’m trying to rationalise in my mind how anyone could think a side that just conceded ~90 points in a half is going to beat any opponent by 50 points, let alone a side that’s known to score as well as Hawthorn have in the past.

1000% 2009. we score 120 or we score 50. no in between.

Hoping for round 2 2015, but expecting round 1 2015.

1 Like

A few weeks ago I told my brother, who is an avid Hawks fan, that the final margin in this game could swing anywhere between 12 goals for either team.
Having seen the patchy nature of both sides during the pre-season comp, I’d reign in that range.

Still think we could surprise them with sheer emotion, but Loony out, along with our insiders struggling for touch, makes me temper my expectations.

I’m OK with a 20pt loss as long as we make them work for it.

1 Like

I’m thinking we went into the JLT against Geelong with a side that was meant more to test those slated to match up against Hawthorn which lead to the Baguley - Menzel mismatch and leaving out Hartley who should have had Hawkins, and other mismatches.

Still going to miss Leuey, but not giving up hope.

Bags and McG to go to Cyril and Poppy.

Never underestimate the power of the march

4 Likes

Hartley to snap winning goal with seconds remaining?

That’s an option. But I have had stuck in my head McGrath leaping from behind to spoil a Rioli mark at the punt road end, collecting the spoil on the run followed by a dash up the member’s wing involving a one-two with someone, let’s say Hepps, before centering the ball to Jobe inside 50 who marks ahead of some Hawthorn jerk with only five seconds left on the clock. Jobe cooly slotting the goal after the siren for the Dons to win by 3 points followed by me pouring a beer over my head.

I just wanted to record this here in case I am actually a psychic.

14 Likes

I farking hate Hawthorn almost more than any team (second only to fark Carlton; yes even more than Collingwood) but they just know how to win. They go in expecting to win.

Apparent assistance from umpires aside, they know how to structure up well and what moves to make when it is close

I’d be lying if I said I felt confident in us when the game is tight or indeed in our ability to maintain an advantage. It’s just been so long since we’ve been an elite team/club and had our ■■■■ together. It will take a bit of time to engender a winning culture again IMO.

Hoping so much that we show up on the night and unleash years of fury on these arrogant sods.

3 Likes

No team comes close for me. I despise whoreforn. I hate their arrogance, their supporters, their lying mealy mouths and their farkin ugly faces

24 Likes

On a positive note, it will be good to see J Roughead play again. I remember when A Ramanauskas played his first game after the initial diagnosis. Adds a degree of perspective to the game. Now, having said that, get any more than half a dozen or so possessions and he can go f*ck himself.

18 Likes

Does anyone else think that it might be a nice touch to actually have 1 side of the banner dedicated to Roughy ?

5 Likes

No

All the best to him but

3 Likes
  1. Rioli
  2. O’Meara
  3. Roughead

Nothing more certain than this.

1 Like

Throw Tyrone “spud” Vickery in for the pick 4

I’d be happy with that option.