Round 1 - Essendon v Hawthorn

I have a feeling that Green will be touch-and-go to see whether he’s ready for the Hawks; it’ll depend on how his foot injury pulls up from Friday night’s VFL game.

My guess:

B: Baguley Hartley Dea
HB: Gleeson Hurley Goddard
C: Zaharakis Watson Parish
HF: Colyer Daniher Tippa
F: Fantasia Hooker Stewart
R: McKernan Heppell Z.Merrett

I/C: Stanton Langford Kelly McGrath

Emg: Ambrose, Brown, Hocking

• Whilst we only have two genuine talls in the backline, guys like Dea and Gleeson (and even Goddard if he plays back there) are all solid overhead and can take some strong intercept marks.

• If we get really stuck for height back there, we also have the flexibility to swing Hooker to defence.

• Stewart to give McKernan a chop out in the ruck.

• Someone like Hocking/Bird/Howlett could force their way into selection - perhaps ahead of McGrath - if they blitz it on Friday.

1 Like

I thought hartley got spanked by vickery last year unless I’m thinking of someone else. I remember coming home from the Richmond game thinking how did he let that spud get a hold of him.
Also sicily is meant to be playing hbf this season from what I’ve heard.

The egg will be on your face when we win by 73 points. Egg on your face!

5 Likes

I think our team will get better as the year progresses. Combine the new players coming in with Woosha coaching them for the first time… it’ll take a while to click.

1 Like

agreed… until such time as we predictably run out of puff with ~6 weeks to go and slip out of finals contention. But the 10-12 weeks in the middle should pretty good viewing!

Griffen?

Kudos for using the mealy… Definitely word of the day contender

Essendon home game but Poos and Wees members get in as a home game due to Tasmania games.
Does the Club get financial compensation for this arrangement? and on top of that they get to bring a "friend for free"and also have a Hawthorn members section at the G at an Essendon Home game.

this will really bump up the crowd number.

2 Likes

Bring in Jamar.

What is the fine for having someone outside our list play for us? 10,000? 50,000? Big deal, we’ve had worse.

10 Likes

The game where he was played injured and then topped it off by doing his hammy?

Griffiths?

The dude with the helmet, yeah?

Anyway, yes, he gave Hartley a bit of a touch up last year.

1 Like

I should have just said tall Richmond spud rather than trying to remember his name

4 Likes

That hardly narrows it down. That Richmond spud describes half the list.

7 Likes

with uber spud covering the other half

1 Like

It’s a shame the ‘Big Russian’ isn’t still on our list.

1 Like

He did say tall

1 Like

Yes. Ilija Grgic would be a useful addition right now.

1 Like

We’ll win.

No we won’t.

2 Likes

or NLM

1 Like