Round 1 - Essendon v Hawthorn

CHF: ALEXIS
FF: GIROUD

1 Like

The most concerning thing about McKernan coming in for Leuenberger is that it will become a milestone game with McKernan paying game number 50.

We always struggle in milestone games.

2 Likes

Is anyone else feeling a bit flatter than they thought they would be feeling ahead of round 1?

I donā€™t know if it is the news that Laverde is out for half the year, that Looney will miss the opening matches leaving us exposed at centre bounces, that we never saw our new full forward and centre half forward pairing play a pre-season game together, or that we got overrun in all 3 lead up matches but Iā€™m not ā€œup and aboutā€ at the moment.

Saturday week pre-match it will hit me Iā€™m sure!!

2 Likes

you need to rip that lid off sonnyjim

3 Likes

Iā€™d just keep the top on for now, . but look forward to taking it off it after the game. ā€¦ maybe even a few times.

We hung around the middle of the table or lower, for the last 15 years so a whole generation of Bomber fans have learned not to expect, but to hope

1 Like

Nope. Couldnā€™t be more pumped.

Tippa and Fanta alone are enough at the moment, that little one - two they did against Geelong is just whiff of things to come.

Then throw the noise a packed a G will make the first time Jobe fires a bullet hand pass off the deck between Oā€™Mearaā€™s dodgy knees, epic.

Add a bit of the tall bloke with the dodgy stash, smashing packs, taking grabs and kicking 6 off his right.

They will all be angry and driven, pre-season has been a rope a dope. They will hurt hawthorn, AFL and MSM ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  love child.

Us by 6 goals

15 Likes

weā€™re gonna get pumped.

1 Like

The March to the G will be HUGE and will become yet another Essendon tradition that other clubs will envy. It might even make the Essendon Hawks Round 1 game yet another defacto marquee game, because it will be come ā€œtheā€ event of round 1ā€¦

5 Likes

Hope not, the march is ours. Screw Hawthorn. When they sink down the ladder and half their band-wagoners disappear I donā€™t want us propping up their ticket sales and attendance numbers.

Not to mention Hawks fans would start bragging about how big the game is when Essendon fans have done all the work.

6 Likes

Yes Enki, I get that. In any case any game against Hawthorn is a ā€œWe hate Hawthornā€ marquee game for us. For them its probably ā€œLine in the sand revisitedā€ in memory of the fact we used to crush the buggers mercilously.

Feels like another Top 10 draft pick kind of year.

2 Likes

Good call. It will/should be known, as ā€œThe March in Marchā€ Game ā€¦ and in short time just ā€œThe March Gameā€, ā€¦ always a HOME game,and letā€™s hope, itā€™s in Round One, more often than not, ā€¦ but against whoever weā€™d prefer on the year, o/wise , you might get fkn Hawforn knobs doing a rival ā€œmarchā€, ā€¦ and that could have serious potential to get ā€œSoccer fanā€ ugly.

Although Hawks are an ACTUAL trad rival, ā€¦ so whenever itā€™s them, ā€¦ itā€™s not a bad thing.

I know itā€™s a long way out yet, but weather gods look like they are supporting the march. sunny and 28 degrees

1 Like

Sounds like a thereā€™ll be a lot of skin cancer bothersome sun around ,ā€¦ might I suggest how good 10 to 20 thousand Red & Black Sombreroā€™s might look on the day ā€¦

4 Likes

l am already pumped.

1 Like

Having footy back will be great.
Flying in with a group of supporters. Looking forward to it. Should be great.
Going to the TVSC will be great.
Joining in with the March again will be great.
Being at the ā€œGā€ will be great.
Watching the boys run out and play will be great.
Watching us being smashed by Hawks will not be great.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œHouli_Dooley, post:124, topic:9972, full:trueā€]
Is anyone else feeling a bit flatter than they thought they would be feeling ahead of round 1?

I donā€™t know if it is the news that Laverde is out for half the year, that Looney will miss the opening matches leaving us exposed at centre bounces, that we never saw our new full forward and centre half forward pairing play a pre-season game together, or that we got overrun in all 3 lead up matches but Iā€™m not ā€œup and aboutā€ at the moment. [/quote]
I feel like I did before the third test began, or before the last day of the last test. Lots of nervous, jittery energy. I think we have the talent to go well. I know we could completely stuff up the season. And Iā€™ve no idea where weā€™ll fall. I just no longer have faith in Essendon to be more than the sum of the parts. The mixture of preseason form, injuries, forwardline form just continue this yo-yo worry to excitement that feeds into the entire loop.

I can put forward scenarios for why we will finish top 4, and do the same for bottom 4. The reality is I have no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  idea how weā€™ll ago, and unlike others who just discard analysis for faith and hope (even if I suspect what they really feel is over-stated on here), I canā€™t let go of reason to just blindly believe.

And of course, anything I see a week from now will be tempered (good or bad) by the knowledge its only after a handful of games that you really know. I remember in 2015 people got way too over the top excited about the Hawthorn win, and glossed over what happened against St Kilda, Fremantle and Carlton.

6 Likes

Booooooooo!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve packed paper bag for you so itā€™s ALL GREAT!