Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

If a slow merrett gathered it 24 times on limited minutes, cant wait to see him in full flight

1 Like

Ha itā€™s not my day job believe me!

Being AFL standard would be an achievement.

Hes never ever ever never ever been given a chance.

Doesnt get put in center bounces so how can you say that?

Got caught alot as well. Wonder what efficiency he went at during the JLT. Surely a Chris or Speedy will know?

Yes but Langers needs to make this his year by playing with relentless aggression consistently to deserve wearing our esteemed no 4 guernsey.

1 Like

Yes we need him too
We dont have many big bodies in the midfield
I was dissapointed with his JLT but he had a lot of mates

I enjoy Skoda stadium. Reminds me of attending a game of local footy.

Easy to get around and decent visibility.

From memory they have reasonable food and drink options too.

Its situated in a wasteland sure, but otherwise I think the converted show grounds is a nice place to watch a game.

1 Like

We donā€™t have any elite big bodies, but we have more than GWS, so much so, we can have 1 midfielder >190 at every stoppage. In particular Myers is 191 and is our #1 centre clearance player, but in terms of centre bounces attended, I would argue that Stringer at 192 is our best clearance mid.
Although not racking up stats as a mid Langford at 191 is a handy player at stoppages.

85% & 62.5%

If thereā€™s one player on the list you donā€™t have to worry about its Merrett. He was just out of touch and put in next to no effort in the practice games. Watch him kill it on Sunday.

If he is targeted that way, itā€™ll be interesting to see how he handles a tag this year. No doubt itā€™s something heā€™ll address.

Yea thatā€™ll happen when thereā€™s 900 people in attendance at 24,000 capacity stadium

He figured it out last year. His output for the last 10 games or so was the highest itā€™s ever been. Donā€™t think heā€™ll have another slow start.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not so much worried about him, I know he will come good and even at 75% he is still in our best 5.

Was the 62% vs Blues? If not then that is surprising.

Nah. With the Blues he only played 35% game time and only had 7 touches. He got caught a few times but mostly managed to get the handball out. Looked terrible though.

As much as I donā€™t like to say it, the Blues in space looked reasonably slickā€¦

ā€¦and still lost by six goals. The stronger bodies, aggression and discipline of Richmond gets them over the line every time.

Aggression and strength to continuously get the ball moving forward 5, 10 metres at a time, still wins out over a couple of exceptional 40 metre defence-splitting passes each quarter. If Zach, Langford, Hepp, etc. donā€™t get dirty enough, and donā€™t concentrate on bludgeoning the ball forward more often than they look for the killer pass, we lose. For all the rule changes the modern game is still one of ā€˜who wants it moreā€™ and ā€˜who wants to put their body on the line.ā€™

7 Likes

I think he is AFL standard just been unlucky injuries.

The bloke needs a good run at in the seniors

JItā€™s a good looking team, and I think Parish is due a proper run in the twos. Get 30+ touches a week, develop some confidence, and when a midfield opportunity inevitably arises take it with both hands. Heā€™s bush league as a HFFer, so letā€™s stop gifting him games as one.

Guelfi is my preference for the 4th spot. Weā€™ve got skill; bonafide, contest hungry, competitors are what made us a quality team last season.

Weā€™ll win this.

I agree mate. Guelfi probably puts in the most effort out of all of our players. Heā€™ll bust his ā– ā– ā–  just to get a finger on the ball. I think that hunger is what Parish needs to find.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not one for reading too much from pre-season form but both Parish and Guelfi looked a fair way off it based on their pre-season performances. And for Guelfi at least, it looked like he was actually having a crack during the JLT, as he shouldā€™ve been in his 2nd year. Iā€™d be looking at Lav although I suspect Brown will spend more time up forward than in the backline and that would probably render us a bit tall up front.

1 Like