Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

I would be pretty surprised if Laverde got that final spot.

I do think it is Guelfi’s. I reckon his flexibility is going to see him get that last spot on the bench a lot more often than not.

1 Like

He’s not slow.
He’s not agile enough for a small forward, but he’s got some wheels.

And I’d argue his ground level pressure and tackling is where he falls down, the way he’s been used recently.

I’d love to see him at half back or wing (possibly needs to get a bit fitter for that). Far more upside than Guelfi IMO.

Agreed. Think it’s the most likely scenario, but for me at least he’s the most concerning of the 3 based on what I saw in the pre-season.*

*again, not really sure what can read into from those performances but Guelfi at least looked very much a deer in the headlights at stage, especially against Geelong’s significantly improved pressure.

Yeah it was only pre-season and skill wise they were both off. I have a feeling that the game plan is going to be outright manic pressure. Like when we played the Cats and GWS last year. It’s the main thing that’s been repeated by players in all of the pre-season interviews. I think Guelfi is more likely to bring it than Lav and Parish. Brown will be at CHF unless the backline falls apart during the game. Big year for Parish with his contract up. If he’s not best 22 very soon and for the rest of the year you have to wonder whether he might consider other options.

Guelfi is quite flexible for an out and out jobber. Works hard defensively so you can see why he’s popular with the coaches.

3 Likes

I really rate him. And he started off sloppy last year but got cleaner and cleaner as the season went on.

I’m still most excited for the return of FRIDGE. That kid will be a star.

1 Like

Yep, when I look at the side, I’m a bit worried about how McKernan and Langford are going to perform. Lots of upside if they play well.

But I feel really comfortable that I know what I’m going to get out of players like Guelfi and Ambrose. Solid contributors.

1 Like

The Fridge, and Redman.

Two kids that have displayed excellent attacking footskills, and have a fair portion of the angries.

Should they become regular AFL players, we are going to be much better off for it.

4 Likes

Ambrose 2 years ago perhaps. Last year he looked more cooked than the 14hr brisket I’m gonna smoke on the weekend.

1 Like

hold up a photo of Luke Parker.

hold up a photo of the FRIDGE.

Let your imagination do the rest.*

*this is a wildly optimistic topic of discussion that I’m usually far too pragmatic to engage in.

4 Likes

McKernan has been gifted a spot that he wasn’t otherwise going to get. Woosha said as much in the team selection video. I’m sure he will play out of his skin. He has the least secure spot out of anybody.

I hope Jakey Stringer gets off the leash and kicks 6 on Sunday.

5 Likes

Think we will try to exploit them early out of the centre and line up more like this.

Saad Ambrose McKenna
Ridley Hurley Heppell
McGrath Shiel Zaharakis
Smith Brown Myers
Tippa McKernan Fantasia

Bellchambers Stringer Merrett

Francis Baguley Guelfi Langford

At least for the first 10 minutes before Stringer goes forward and Myers and Smith go in to the middle. In the absence of Hooker and Goddard from last year I like Heppell starting off a back flank before going in to the centre later in the game. This set up is to win the clearance and lock the ball in front half, hence Stringer and Shiel starting in the square and Smith and Myers at half forward.

3 Likes
2 Likes

What happens if GWS decide to work a little bit harder?

Nice to see Zerk named as an emergency. It renews my frustration that he didn’t get an opportunity in the jlt though.

Smack’s lack of jlt minutes annoys me too, even before Joe injured himself.

6 Likes

Zerk being named is pretty exciting for him. It may have Hartley wondering if he is going to play much AFL this year though.

With Smack, I was a bit frustrated because I felt he was best 22. Having adjusted that thinking to acknowledging that the coaches felt Brown was best 22, then Smack being left out of JLT2 makes a bit more sense.

The Zerk thing is just a nod to the young bloke to tell him he’s progressing well, it is not going un noticed, and to keep it up. Never a real chance to play. It’s a very good thing for him though.

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Raz and Walla show

5 Likes