Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

I have no stats to back this up in any way at all BUT we seem to play a lot of 50/50 games in round one and win the majority of them.

Bring the pressure, Dons.

2 Likes

The one youā€™ve all failed to mention who I believe is their most important player is Toby Greene. Who gets him first up? I wouldnā€™t mind Hurley taking him.

Ambrose - Cameron
Hurley - Greene
Franga - Himmelberg

1 Like

They led with their faces.

1 Like

Have you taken enough learnings?
I think you should take some learnings.

Who have you got Oirish & Saad on?

1 Like

Any of their mediocre smalls in Daniels, Lloyd, De Boer, Reid, Langdon
I think Hurley played his best footy last year when he was given a lockdown task first and foremost.

1 Like

Oh burnnn

This is a massive factor. He knows their whole game plan barring what theyā€™ve worked on over the last few months. The Hawks havenā€™t been able to beat Brisbane once since Hodge went up there. And youā€™re talking top 4 vs bottom 4 sides.

1 Like

How about a tripartite including STEW , fired up vfl finals styleeee (in the side after brown receives a ā€˜kickā€™ to the calf):joy::rofl:

Yep.

Smith is our barometer and, a few cheap niggles aside, looked nowhere near fully engaged vs the cats.

We will be a different team with the Devonstater in full flight.

Nah mate. Heā€™s been told not to run past team mates in order to lay tackles anymore.

Expect more pointing and yelling from Devon this year.

Heā€™ll still be a tackling machine.

??? Genuinely donā€™t get this post?

If, as all the analysts say, it all starts in the midfield, we have a massive advantage on paper over them.

Ruck. TBell should give us first use far more often than their ruck ( never heard of him). As a chop out SMack should be able to keep us competitive in this department.

Big Bodied Mids. GWS do not have any to put on the park. Taranto and Hopper are the closest to that, but nowhere near Myers Langford and Stringer in terms of body, but might be a bit faster, so we need to watch that.

Centre Midfielder: Coniglio is a gun, but then again so is Shiel, and if Hepp plays centre midfield he is no slouch either.

Outside Mids. Kelly is a gun, with Zaka and Delideo cancelling them out, Zerret is probably as good as Kelly. Maybe not as fast, but has lethal disposal into F50.

Mid Depth. GWS fall away rapidly. We have much better first change mids, and even at the 3rd level we have Tippa, Fanta, Langford.

We should be able to beat them in the midfield TBH, thats their weak point

2 Likes

Shiel will be so competitive in this game. Heā€™s been spoken about all pre-season as being GWS 4th/5th best midfielder which i think is a little harsh. Heā€™ll have a point to prove.

GWS are my special bet for the weekend.

1 Like

Love zach, but he is not in the same class as Josh Kelly.

Kelly has the capacity to be as good as Dangerfield. Will be a great battle for sure.

The difference will be depth. How our 4th to say 7th best mids play. They will need to match some serious talent at GWS.

We have the edge in the ruck and I think its a damn shame we are missing our best bookends as I think thatā€™s where our natural advantage is against the giants.

Im a bit worried about Greene or Cameron getting off the leash. But all sides would worry about that.

1 Like

I actually think Zach is in the same class as Kelly. Lets re-visit it in 12 weeks though.

Its hard to compare these 2 players ( Zach also plays on the inside having 4x more centre clearances last year ), but while Kelly is ranked as elite in more outside play stats, this gives a better picture of relative performance over the last few games. Kelly is a bit off his best, it would seem.

Physically I think Kelly is a better mover.

My view is Kelly takes the best bits of Shiel(movement in traffic) and Zach(disposal). He is a special player.

3 Likes