Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

Remember what happened to Jerrett? Eerie parallels…got the feeling that Johnny has just about put a line through his name.

Nothing wrong with Darcy going back to the VFL again. His JLT form alone didn’t warrant selection, and none of us are privy to the expectations that were set for him during the preseason.

Last year he forced his way back into the team, and played some really solid footy when he came back in. If he wants it badly enough he’ll get back in.

Good players miss out in good teams - it’s a nice problem to have and drives high standards.

GO BOMBERS

4 Likes

Parish came in and ways forced to play above his weight and he did better than anyone expected. All players drop in and out of form, he’ll be back, and he’ll be the last man running around contests clearing it for us in no time.

1 Like

Not really, look at the blokes that run through the midfield that are ahead of him. They’re all high picks.

Andrew McGrath - 1
Dyson Heppell - 8
Zaka - 23
Merrett - 26 (freak)
Shiel - Would have been top 10, Special pick for GWS
Dev Smith - 14
Stringer - 5
Langford - 17
David Myers - 6

4 Likes

I quite like this team, which means nothing to get angry about…

2 Likes

It’s a strong bench named.

We’ve got this. :fist:

1 Like

Laverde has had lots of injuries so Its not hard to see why he hasnt progressed that far as of yet,

But god it makes me sick what we have done to parish.
He never gets to play in his natural position for more than half a game at most.

We have really messed up his development.

And for those saying he bad a bad JLT he gathered 14 touches in game two in 50 % game time and of that 50% he played predominantly as a forward.

This
Good problem to have

1 Like

Also let’s not ignore the fact that Laverde and Parish have been overtaken by Guelfi.

Edit: in my head, Guelfi is a top 10 draft pick.

They’re all competing for the same spot? Don’t think so myself.

1 Like

Of these players who do you think Parish is better than?

Heppell, Merrett, Smith, Shiel, Zacha, Myers, Langford, McGrath.

That’s not including Stringer, Guelfi, Fantasia or Walla who can all pinch hit in there.

3 Likes

Hardly messed up his development

For now he’s not seen as good enough to oust those playing the roles he is best suited to

Which for his size is probably Zerrett & Zaka

If he was he’d be in the team

His downfall is he can only play inside mid & he’s undersized at that, so Myers trumps him there, and not versatile enough to play fwd or wing effectively.

2 Likes

Strongly agree. We will win by 20+

Sooooooooo Parish may not play for Essendon next year and is rapidly becoming a depth player.

I am totally ok with that.

Parish is being left out because he’s not good enough. Do we really have depth? Merrett, Heppell, Smith and Shiel are all consistent performers at the top level but after that it drops off a lot. Having a bunch of guys who are borderline afl standard is not what I would call depth. Zaka is a serviceable player so I’m perhaps being a little unfair on him. McGrath still developing. Guelfi same. Langford same. Laverde same. Myers barely good enough. If Parish was playing decent footy he’d be in the team.

1 Like

Yep, I’m frustrated that he’s spunked all that late season form last year up the wall this pre season and can’t even get a game round 1.

It’s not even a particularly strong midfield to break into, compared to Collingwood or Melbourne etc.

3 Likes

He’s a competitor. He’ll force his way back in soon enough.

4 Likes

Wasn’t Zaka out injured for a lot of last year, that’s where he got his opportunity.

Now we’ve also recruited Shiel plus McGrath has stepped into full time mid role.

Coz guelfi is totes hotter than lav

1 Like

this created a very strange image in my head i must admit