Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

In hindsight, Sheils arrival meant there was room for only 1 of McGrath or Parish, and there should be little shame in being overtaken by a #1 pick.
All of our small mid/fwd types will have pressure on them to perform, I’m thinking Smith, Zaka, McGrath, Walla, Sheil. I think they are reasonably safe but that’s who he’s up against, maybe injury is his best bet… Laverde probably needs Guelfi, Ridley to make way for him.

1 Like

Or Darcy ups his forward effectiveness and pushes for Baguley’s spot as an additional string to his bow.

4 Likes

I for one am stoked with the team. Right on the money.

It seems funny guys like Myers, Bags and Brown always get knocked on here but seems to me they are the guys who are constant and that’s why our coaches pick them. A good team needs these type of players.

Myers is under rated, I openly under rated him, but once he got his body right he played some awesome footy for us. I think people forget that. I’d pick him any day of the week ahead of Parish or Laverde.

Bags has proven so many people wrong. I love that. I reckon he will improve more yet again forward.

Langford also showed he’s capable of being elite one day at least a few times last year. I can’t see that with Parish just yet personally, especially with Merrett playing the same role but far better.

Laverde will get his chance if he can get a clean run without injury. Until then he’s backup for me.

Stoked for Smack. I hope he can regin the form he was in as I personally think he can be awesome.

Looks like a good mix of experience and youth. They were in no rush to bring in guys like Francis until they were completly ready. Wasn’t a popular choice at the time if I recall but hey they were correct and it worked out perfectly. He never left did he.

Faith in the Woosh.

Go bombers.

20 Likes

I allowed myself a quick daydream:

Imagine if we came out and smashed them, won by 6-8 goals… picked up where we left off last year. The Package finished with 6 (with arrogance) and smack 5. Dev and Sheil carved them up. Dev strutted about…

Then I came back to reality.

There’s a fair chance we will put on a JLT type display.

4 Likes

Yeah that crossed my mind also. Will be interesting to see where they play him in the the VFL. Blitz will want him to get 30 possessions but the club might want him to work on his fwd craft.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more mate. I think the team is spot on. And when Hooker and Joey come back it looks really dangerous. And it might not be a bad thing for a bloke like Hooker to only play 18 or so games for the season. He’ll be a little fresher at the pointy end.

2 Likes

How is Laverde competing with Ridley? Ridley is playing halfback with a bit of wing. Has Laverde ever played there?

1 Like

Lav is competing for the mid sized forward role that can push through the midfield. I could see him turning into a Josh Caddy type player if he reaches full potential.

2 Likes

It will be very interesting to see how things end up with Langford, Laverde , Stringer and Begley. Like others have said, not sure they all fit into the team. Hopefully they all get a clear run for 12 months and we’ll see

1 Like

Stop calling me Others.

1 Like

You can do both at VFL level.

It’s slightly slower and less congested and if they give him a role like what they did Langford when he played VFL then he can play midfield and drift forward.

1 Like

1 Like

love Dys, just sounds like the usual hubris to me though. They didn’t look to crack in too much in JLT… every EFC fan has had jack of gelling and learning…

1 Like

Who cares if they don’t crack in during JLT?

I do. They’re supposed to crack in at training aren’t they. So why not JLT? Carlton cracked in. Geelong cracked in. It didn’t do either of them any harm, and they cracked in in their first games. What’s the use of any sort of pre-season if the players don’t crack in?

Anyway. Tomorrow. They’re certainly going to need to crack in today. They did it last year so they can do it again. I’m not going to say I don’t care if they lose so long as they have a real go, because I do care. But I will be totally shaat off if we put up some half- Rsed performance and lose like that.

4 Likes

Responding to the cap’s comments which I put in the heard it before basket, mainly F the learning comment, as that just ups angst that we’ll see more crap to no game plan, thats a big fear with this team… AGAIN!

How cool is it to use the sidebar to slip past 200 posts.
Schoomp.
Right. Now what are we talking about?

We have to win.

GWS round 1 without Kelly, Ward and a decent ruckmen is an absolute gift.

3 Likes

Yep there’s competition for almost every spot on the ground except maybe ruck which bodes well. And yeah I’d add Gleeson to your list it just looks better and better.

2 Likes

This was post 715 that you missed. No need to thank me.

4 Likes