Round 1 v Swans - Anyone going up to Sydney?

We are a bigger chance of winning at ANZ. I recall Hirds first game as coach saw us all but beat them there in round 1. I remember a bad bounce for Stanton cost us late.

A reply to: @Dave10 regarding QuoteLink

We are a bigger chance of winning at ANZ. I recall Hirds first game as coach saw us all but beat them there in round 1. I remember a bad bounce for Stanton cost us late.

Was Round 2, lost by less than a kick despite being 28 points up at one stage. Stants got done holding the ball late in the last when an identical incident happened about 2-3 mins earlier in our front half that went unpunished. I ended up needing a new coffee table after that call!

Only a slight digression, to revive this thread.
Heres a question for those going to Sydney, or contemplating it. Tippett will probably be injured and has not , so far realised his full potential, but is usually dangerous, so the best choice on him might be Hooker, but how are we going to neutralise Buddy. Who is a big enough brute to out muscle him, fast enough to catch him, tall enough to spoil him. There is only one player at Essendon who is a physical match for Buddy. Tayte Pears is now a monster. But he hasnt been near a football for years. So, who is next in line. Probably Buckets, he now has a lot of upper body strength, but has not done a full preseason he probably would not be fast enough. Hurls is not tall enough, now we are running out of talls to put on Buddy. Any ideas?

Gwilt is a big boy.

Joe D would have the gig if Sheeds was coaching.

Quoted Post

Only a slight digression, to revive this thread. Heres a question for those going to Sydney, or contemplating it. Tippett will probably be injured and has not , so far realised his full potential, but is usually dangerous, so the best choice on him might be Hooker, but how are we going to neutralise Buddy. Who is a big enough brute to out muscle him, fast enough to catch him, tall enough to spoil him. There is only one player at Essendon who is a physical match for Buddy. Tayte Pears is now a monster. But he hasnt been near a football for years. So, who is next in line. Probably Buckets, he now has a lot of upper body strength, but has not done a full preseason he probably would not be fast enough. Hurls is not tall enough, now we are running out of talls to put on Buddy. Any ideas?
He's about 3 inches shorter, got mauled by him the few times it was tried. Bizarre.

Buddy gets Hooker, Tipp gets Hurley.

Quoted Post

Gwilt is a big boy.

Will Hams.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Only a slight digression, to revive this thread. Heres a question for those going to Sydney, or contemplating it. Tippett will probably be injured and has not , so far realised his full potential, but is usually dangerous, so the best choice on him might be Hooker, but how are we going to neutralise Buddy. Who is a big enough brute to out muscle him, fast enough to catch him, tall enough to spoil him. There is only one player at Essendon who is a physical match for Buddy. Tayte Pears is now a monster. But he hasnt been near a football for years. So, who is next in line. Probably Buckets, he now has a lot of upper body strength, but has not done a full preseason he probably would not be fast enough. Hurls is not tall enough, now we are running out of talls to put on Buddy. Any ideas?
He's about 3 inches shorter, got mauled by him the few times it was tried. Bizarre.

Yes Henry, I agree he is shorter. I agree he was mauled by Buddy. So tell me who wasnt ? I also think it would be a miracle if Pears got back on the field in the AFL in 2015, Bizarre as it seems, have you seen the guy lately? The upper body development is “extreme” I expect he is now stronger than Buddy. But we are not likely to see that match up tested.

Quoted Post

Best defender on the best forward…

Or give Fletcher the last rights…

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I’m not sure Pears has ever really directly played on him, but I do seem to remember him being brushed aside rather easy a few times he he went near him.

Hooker used to do ok on Buddy (by Essendon standards anyway) back in Hooker’s early awkward days, I don’t reckon he’s had a crack on him with the new fancy form.

It’s a tough matchup for us because Hurley can sometimes struggle on the really tall guys. But I"m not sure Tippett is really that much of a concern. It’s probably one of those situations where you would switch Hurls and Jake to get the matchups really right.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

I’m not sure Pears has ever really directly played on him, but I do seem to remember him being brushed aside rather easy a few times he he went near him.

Hooker used to do ok on Buddy (by Essendon standards anyway) back in Hooker’s early awkward days, I don’t reckon he’s had a crack on him with the new fancy form.

It’s a tough matchup for us because Hurley can sometimes struggle on the really tall guys. But I"m not sure Tippett is really that much of a concern. It’s probably one of those situations where you would switch Hurls and Jake to get the matchups really right.

also potential for tippett to get 10 goals if we don’t do a switch like that.

Can we try to exploit these midgets by playing a more aerial kicking game?
Hooker to zone off and double team Buddy or Reid in the air and Pig or Bags to double team buddy at ground level.
Either way he gets double teamed.

BAGS BUCKETS PIG
McGlynn Buddy S. Reid

GWILT HOOKSY HURLS
Rohan Tippett Goodes

DEMPSEY MYERS COONEY
Jetta K.Jack L.Parker

GODDARD JOEY CHAPPY
McVeigh Rampe H. Shaw

COLYER BELCHO FLETCHER
N.Smith Grundy T.Richards

R: GILES WATSON HEPPELL
Pyke Kennedy Hannebury

I: STANTS, BOBCAT, ZERRETT, LAVERDE(s)

Fletch to play a cameo; clunk a few and calmly slot in them from 45m out on all angles to finish with 4 for the day.

Goals: Fletch 4, Joey 4, Bellcho 3, Goddard 2, Chappy 2, Colyer 1, Cooney 1, Jobe 1.

Essendon 18. 5. 113
Sydney 10. 8. 68 to gagf.

Ha looks a good, but no zaka?

If we let them kick 6 goals in the 1st, I’ll just about neck myself.

GEEZ THE SWANS LOOK GOOD DONT THEY DENNIS?

There’s now direct trains from Central station for sporting events, about 25 minutes. For those coming up don’t stay at Homebush it’s a wasteland.

Quoted Post

How do people have relationships with the significant other barracking for fark cahrltyn? They must be a fantastic person for that to be overlooked! :p

Ha Ha, does lead to some heated discussions, but saying that my FC other half has been really supportive during this last couple of years, he doesn’t think anything illegal happened. He’s even going above and beyond the call of duty and coming with me to the NAB cup game in Morwell, or as he calls it - " The James Hird Appreciation Game). When we do get to Melb for footy, we do compromise, he come with me to watch the Bombers and I have to sit through a Carlton game, but hey that’s what makes it interesting, although he does end up stirring up people sitting next to him (in a nice way)

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

I am pretty sure Pears had him for 2 goals in about 5 minutes straight after we took McPhee off him after copping about 4, long time ago. What I took from that is the shorter, but just as bulky, and less agile type of matchup doesn’t seem to work on him.
Buddy’s getting more traditional as he gets older. Doing a bit less running, bit less crumbing, a bit more lead-and-mark. Arms are still ■■■■■■ long, a Pears sized player’s spoil is getting halfway up his biceps.

Hooker every day of the week for mine.
If Pears is to resurrect a career, it ain’t on 197cm #1 forwards.

I always head to sydney over easter and this year it has worked out well with the sydney game. I am heading up on the thursday back tuesday. The people i stay with are NRL fans, so ill be heading to game by myself.
Anyone know when tickets go on sale?

Don’t know what’s to going happen yet: but one thing is for sure, Free Kick Count: SYD 38 - ESS 1 at Half Time.